Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One great difference between all ice vehicles and electric vehicles is resale value. In 5 years it'll be pretty much zero on any ice vehicle. 10 years for sure. Where as the electric vehicle will still retain some value.

Even now electric vehicles retain a higher value for the most part then their ice counterparts. Particularly with the model S and the Mercedes s-class. Checking the same age vehicles and their resale value is quite enlightening. I think you may have actually been about the same total cost over the life of the vehicle with the model X as you will be with the Telluride.

One great difference between all ice vehicles and electric vehicles is resale value. In 5 years it'll be pretty much zero on any ice vehicle. 10 years for sure. Where as the electric vehicle will still retain some value.

Even now electric vehicles retain a higher value for the most part then their ice counterparts. Particularly with the model S and the Mercedes s-class. Checking the same age vehicles and their resale value is quite enlightening. I think you may have actually been about the same total cost over the life of the vehicle with the model X as you will be with the Telluride.

While I agree resale values could take a hit overtime for ICE vehicles, I find it hard to believe that the total cost over the life of the vehicles will be the same...$50k+ is a big difference to make up. I have tried all types of financial gymnastics to justify spending $100k on an X but my practical side keeps winning. Plus, I have read that the X can get very expensive out of warranty.

Reactions: johnking
Maybe I'm the minority here. I don't get people going to ICE because Tesla is too expensive. Somebody has to pay for all that R&D Tesla put in to develop these cars. But to say they want a ICE SUV because it's cheaper seems to be the wrong comparison.

If price is the deciding factor, then I don't think the mindset is that of EV usage. Is of financial concern. Which granted, is all good, but if it comes down to just $$, then every other point will be moot in buying into EV. Yes, it should be part of the decision process, but I don't think it should be THE deciding factor. All the other factors come into play for me when deciding to go BEV. But once I decide to go BEV, I knew that the cost of ownership will be greater from the get go. Once I decided, I've already know that I'm paying more for it. It's not like Tesla surprised me with pricing when I finally decide to go pickup the car.

My point is not about people flaunting wealth. But more of, did we not know how much these cars cost? I mean arguing about higher cost at this point is kind of moot.

You're comparing value of ICE to BEV. Comparing a Honda Pilot to a Toyota Highlander might be more apt. Then it comes down to features and value for your money of similar vehicles.

Other than X being classified as SUV, I don't see how it can compare to ICE SUVs when purchasing. The only comparable features seem to be price. Saying one vehicle has better options and interior space is totaling ignoring the other vehicle is run on batteries. That's like me going to a Honda forum and arguing that my X out accelerates them all and I can sleep in camper mode and charge at home, etc... They are features the other forum will be completely foreign to.

Sorry, not trying to argue, but more like thinking out loud, why there would be such a comparison when the platforms are so different.

It's like comparing Windows to MacOS (OK, let's not get that started). :)

-ThinkMac-

I agree...the cybertruck seems like it will be an amazing value. If it wasn't so huge (don't think it would fit in my garage and/or possibly my work garage) or if they made a slightly smaller (similar dimensions to the Model X) cybersuv I would be all over it. I am fine if no paint and no FWD if that saves a bunch of money on manufacturing.

My dad has a RAM pickup truck and I am slowly convincing him he should replace it with a cybertruck...the value and specks are amazing. for someone that likes to own trucks.
Yeah, my biggest concern is I have no idea how they can hit that kind of price tag on the tri-motor cybertruck while the X tri motor is about double the price. What else is cut out to make up such a huge $ difference. The FWD, paint, and dash can’t make that up. I know the new batteries will help but still that’s a lot of dollars. Either margins are way higher on X than we know or cybertruck has next to no margins or other niceties will be missing from cybertruck.

Yeah, my biggest concern is I have no idea how they can hit that kind of price tag on the tri-motor cybertruck while the X tri motor is about double the price. What else is cut out to make up such a huge $ difference. The FWD, paint, and dash can’t make that up. I know the new batteries will help but still that’s a lot of dollars. Either margins are way higher on X than we know or cybertruck has next to no margins or other niceties will be missing from cybertruck.
They raised prices on the Model S and Model X. It's possible they might also increase the price of the Cybertruck.

A Taycan Turbo* S doesn't cost twice as much to produce as the 2wd, small-battery base Taycan, and yet here we are with a $100,000+ spread from base model base price to topend model base price. An F150 Platinum Dude Midnight Ranch Don't Mess With Texas Edition doesn't cost twice as much to produce as an F150 XL, yet, here we are with a price spread that exceeds 200% from base-base to top spec. I think they're counting on what used to be called "loss-leader" base models still being marginally profitable, and harvesting *huge* profits from the topend models. It's a perennially successful business model for the big OEMs. Especially if you can get people to lease.

With Plaid, Tesla is offering performance nobody else is likely to offer, and will sell as many as there are willing buyers, or a more sensible choice that still performs better for around the same price as competitors. Tesla's trim/option/pricing product planning has been hilariously spastic since the very beginning. Somebody (Maybe Ms. Denholm has insisted on it?) who knows a thing or two about squeezing dollars out of fanboys, speed junkies, and conquests alike has clearly taken some control over their pricing and marketing departments and it seems like it will work to me, if past is prologue.

Where Tesla might be missing a trick on X is having that "mid-spec" at the base+ 15k price point they used to have with the Performance. Porsche will sell you a Cayenne at 9 different power outputs and etc., but, I understand why Tesla needs to keep the options to a minimum to keep the line running for now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DIL
They raised prices on the Model S and Model X. It's possible they might also increase the price of the Cybertruck.
Honestly, I think they raised the S and X in anticipation of buyers getting a 7,500 tax credit again but that’s the cynic in me. But yeah, I anticipate them raising the price of the cybertruck or at least making the pre-order packages unappealing enough to make you want to pay extra for upgrades. For example, it doesn’t say what we have pre-ordered has premium sound or interior or whatever. The 70k tri-motor cybertruck could be 100k once we select leather and premium interior or whatever other unknown packages they may throw at us.

Honestly, I think they raised the S and X in anticipation of buyers getting a 7,500 tax credit again but that’s the cynic in me. But yeah, I anticipate them raising the price of the cybertruck or at least making the pre-order packages unappealing enough to make you want to pay extra for upgrades. For example, it doesn’t say what we have pre-ordered has premium sound or interior or whatever. The 70k tri-motor cybertruck could be 100k once we select leather and premium interior or whatever other unknown packages they may throw at us.

went with elon's comments I really didn't think there would be those kind of options available for the cybertruck. It will be interesting if there is. And, as has been said, profitable.

redditor u/BigTeslaGuy said Model S would have 560 mile range and new 18650 cells. Will be the plaid version. 3 screens. Roadrunner version coming end of next year.
Model S range and interior update imminent?
Maybe a Plaid+ X will have the big range bump
Disappointed with range update, so will probably wait for tri motor Cybertruck

telluride is about the same size as the Model X so the X would have been great for us of it wasn’t $100,000 ( with bucket seats and color we wanted). More than double the price

The Model X is worth the money, your comparison is ridiculous.
Our Model S is the "same size" as a mini van, maybe I should have bought this instead:
2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Minivan | MPG, Range & More

OR, maybe you should have bought a plug in mini van with 7 seats instead of pure gas SUV with worse efficiency and less storage capacity, but "SUV" must have advantages over that mini van ... can't think what they are besides looks...

Just agree to disagree, but your comparison of a Kia to a Tesla Model X is bizarre full stop.

I’d have to draw the line if they removed the air suspension given the price increase. I wouldn’t be surprised though.

Depends. If they replace it with a magnetic suspension (like MagneRide) - I’d take that 20 out of 10 times over air suspension.

MagneRide is sublime. Had a loaner CT6 when I was driving Cadillacs and ... wow.

Reactions: MattMac and DIL
The Model X is worth the money, your comparison is ridiculous.
Our Model S is the "same size" as a mini van, maybe I should have bought this instead:
2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Minivan | MPG, Range & More

OR, maybe you should have bought a plug in mini van with 7 seats instead of pure gas SUV with worse efficiency and less storage capacity, but "SUV" must have advantages over that mini van ... can't think what they are besides looks...

Just agree to disagree, but your comparison of a Kia to a Tesla Model X is bizarre full stop.
I’ve had this conversation with folks on this forum since 2012 when I got my S. At the end of the day, there is NO WAY to justify an S or X from a $ perspective at full price. They’re very overpriced. Why? Lots of reasons not worth fighting over. The 3 and Y are a little better.

S and X cannot compare in any way to an ICE with respect to price, so just do or do not. There is no try.

I’ve had this conversation with folks on this forum since 2012 when I got my S. At the end of the day, there is NO WAY to justify an S or X from a $ perspective at full price. They’re very overpriced

Um, I kind of get your point, but basically I disagree. Our Model S is 8 years old and has cost less on a depreciation and running costs basis vs the Mercedes SUV we traded in for it. I wasn't willing to drive a gas car, and the only option was a Model S for the long distances we drove, so it was 100% worth the price, and there is an easy way to justify the $94K CAD price in March 2013, there were no competitors to what it offered at any price, so actually having a price was the reason it wasn't "overpriced".

Porsche "there is no substitute". <- branding
2013 Tesla "there is no other option". <- truth