Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um, I kind of get your point, but basically I disagree. Our Model S is 8 years old and has cost less on a depreciation and running costs basis vs the Mercedes SUV we traded in for it. I wasn't willing to drive a gas car, and the only option was a Model S for the long distances we drove, so it was 100% worth the price, and there is an easy way to justify the $94K CAD price in March 2013, there were no competitors to what it offered at any price, so actually having a price was the reason it wasn't "overpriced".

Porsche "there is no substitute". <- branding
2013 Tesla "there is no other option". <- truth
I agree, you have to factor in saving in gas, cost of maintenance. I did that originally in 2013 when I purchased my Model S, I looked at 10 year cost of ownership and it brought the purchase price down to $50,000. My Mercedes suv cost close to that not including cost of maintenance and fuel. But for me it was more about the environment. Will never own another ICE.

I finally added them. I know how I feel when I see someone roll up with the black on black 22s. It’s so obviously the alpha car. The guy down the street has it—and no joke he’s the nicest coolest guy. Loves to surf and his other car is a VW van. But when I walk by his house and a better car than mine everyday— why do that to myself? I see it, I like it, I want it, I got it.
you’re making this so hard. I want to be that guy.

Reactions: MattMac
I think the 3 also had the skateboard pictured with air suspension at some point. Not sure we can go based on the renderings.

Didn’t musk say he was going to do a conference on the changes last week?

he sure did say that. There a lot of unanswered questions right now about X and S. I think he got too wrapped up in starship, not that I can blame him. Everyone should start tweeting him!

he doesn’t need a real car to have a phone conference. My guess is reservation levels are sufficient so it’s not a big priority.

• Funny
Reactions: C3XGarage
he sure did say that. There a lot of unanswered questions right now about X and S. I think he got too wrapped up in starship, not that I can blame him. Everyone should start tweeting him!

he doesn’t need a real car to have a phone conference. My guess is reservation levels are sufficient so it’s not a big priority.
If anything, more details might slow reservations, IMO. At some point, Tesla will have to give more info, and people only lose $100 to get in line. I don’t think there are any features he could announce that would increase interest and/or are holding folks back. He’d probably like to be able to be clear on whether the yoke is real and that may take some time. Otherwise, I really can’t think of a reason for him to say a word.

Reactions: WiseShepherd

His tweets have been a little off/funky again so maybe he forgot they have new S and X ? Lol

If anything, more details might slow reservations, IMO. At some point, Tesla will have to give more info, and people only lose $100 to get in line. I don’t think there are any features he could announce that would increase interest and/or are holding folks back. He’d probably like to be able to be clear on whether the yoke is real and that may take some time. Otherwise, I really can’t think of a reason for him to say a word.

I think I disagree. I'm pretty sure there's some tech in there that none of us have an idea about. Clarity on the heat pump etc would also help I think. At least, I'm excited to hear about it!

Speaking of phone conferences, that would be an interesting "add" to Teslas - video calling/conferencing. If the interior camera is there, it wouldn't be that much to add in the video portion. The only caveat is that the car would have to be in park to function.

Just an idea.

Reactions: henderrj
Speaking of phone conferences, that would be an interesting "add" to Teslas - video calling/conferencing. If the interior camera is there, it wouldn't be that much to add in the video portion. The only caveat is that the car would have to be in park to function.

Just an idea.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1257797406696996864?s=19
Screenshot_20210207-064335_Chrome.jpg

The heat pump was confirmed in writing somewhere. Maybe in the investment PDF they put out right before the results call?
I think he/she was saying they’d like to learn more about what it does/how it works in response to my post about me not thinking there was any more cool tech for them to announce. I do believe you’re right. The heat pump itself was confirmed somewhere...

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Why would you keep a Cybertruck (or any car for that matter) in the garage? It's weatherproof. I keep all kinds of junk and kids toys and toy carts and boats filling up the garage instead ;)
Is it any more weatherproof than any other car? My '01 Ford Excursion has never been garaged (6'9" high and 18'9" long makes it a bit tough), and the paint fade/wear/flaking isn't pretty, nor is the moss gathered in door jambs. The roof leaks aren't fun either, when water drips out of the overhead console under braking.

Is it any more weatherproof than any other car? My '01 Ford Excursion has never been garaged (6'9" high and 18'9" long makes it a bit tough), and the paint fade/wear/flaking isn't pretty, nor is the moss gathered in door jambs. The roof leaks aren't fun either, when water drips out of the overhead console under braking.

Given its construction, it should be. No paint - just stainless steel. No seams either / the nature of its exoskeleton should avoid a lot of water entry areas common on most other cars.
Can’t wait to check one out.

Reactions: SmartElectric