Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in the Portland area:

Model S Long Range = 2-3 weeks
Model S Performance = 8-12 weeks
Model X Long Range = 8-12 weeks
Model X Performance = 8-12 weeks
Model 3 SR+ = 2-3 weeks
Model 3 LR = 2-3 weeks
Model 3 Performance = 2-3 weeks
Model Y LR = 2-3 weeks
Model Y Performance = 2-3 weeks

It's possible that they have limited options enough that they have some stock already built or under construction and those cars will be available in short order. Some cars are not in production at the moment and those have a lead time. I think the combined the S and X production into one production line, so only one car is in production at any time. They may be building Model Ss right now and aren't seeing many S Performance sales so they are only building them if they are ordered.

In another month or so we may see it flipped with a long lead time for Model Ss and a shorter lead time for Model Xs.

At this point, I am willing a refresh to happen. These cars are long overdue (especially the S).

Hmm, shutting down production for 18 days. Maybe retooling for a refresh?
Tesla tells employees Model S and X production will shut down for 18 days

Oh baby! First real credible news I've seen. Now I'm glad I just unmatched my order and told them I would be ready mid-January.

Elon - I'd like some 2170 cells (4680s if you want to be generous!) > 100kwh, octovalve/heat pump, usb-c, no more mercedes c-class switchgear, but don't care as much about the rest. And while we're at it - let's get dual DC charge ports - Tesla + CCS would be great!

Reactions: cusetownusa
Hmm, shutting down production for 18 days. Maybe retooling for a refresh?
Tesla tells employees Model S and X production will shut down for 18 days
They were asked to take 5 unplanned and unpaid days off, but have the option to try to find work in other areas of the factory during those days.They were also encouraged to “volunteer” to help make electric vehicle deliveries to customers during the shut down.
Hence why Michael Moore made the documentary “Where To Invade Next”

After following Tesla for 6 years and owning two teslas. A complete stop of S/X assembly line is very strange, and the timing just is suspicious.

In Tesla tradition, just in time delivery, they can pace a production line to meet the demand. So allowing supply to far exceed demand is odd. I believe a new S/X are on their way and pausing production line makes the most sense this time for 2 reasons.

The S/X in route will be delivered without rejection due to a new model. 100% no leak to media prior to an updated production line.

The S/X in route will be delivered without rejection due to a new model. 100% no leak to media prior to an updated production line.
Except here we have a leak about the production line shutdown. No, it doesn’t 100% confirm a refresh, but I would be hesitant to take delivery at the end of December with this news. I think they will have more than 1 or 2 people who cancel their current orders.

I find it hard to believe that a new one comes out.
1 they know people who ordered can refuse the car assigned to them. Like the refresh M3 they just came out out of nowhere. Tesla/Elon won’t budge on a hint of a refresh. Let’s face the truth that MX is not a money maker for them and I don’t see tesla putting more money on the production hence they will put the money on M3/MY/CT

aren't Mx/Ms the highest margin cars?
Probably not anymore. MIC Model Y will probably be #1 closely followed by MIC Model 3. The new MIC Model 3 Performance will certainly be the highest of all.
These numbers have been run several times. The specifics vary but relationships hold.
Renewal of Models S and X to simplify production and eliminate expensive HVAC and BMS solutions plus parts count reduction etc will certainly improve margins and might restore the former status of Model S.
How much change can be accomplished during a two week shutdown at year end;)

• Informative
Reactions: skybluecgreen