Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, there’s far too many people on here (most in this thread), that post with such certainty and authority that Tesla would never do (fill in the blanks), that have been proven wrong with the fact that a refresh did indeed take place, and included things such as horizontal screens.

Ok they did the horizontal screen, but they will never do a yoke steering wheel...

i would have to agree with everything he said. Even without the federal rebate the price difference is very substantial and with the federal rebate the price difference is about $25k.

in my opinion, the only advantage the model x has is the supercharger network and possibly the service network. Although, the nearest service center from me is about 1.5 hours.

I also prefer the look, inside and out, of the rivian.

I hope that Tesla will be able to compete price wise with the rivian someday and still be able to make a good profit.

I have always liked the look of the R1S. Looks to me like a modern Range Rover. However, the Tesla SC network and lead in autonomous driving would be tough to give up. We'll most likely replace our Raven X with a CT when the lease expires late next year. 500 miles for $70K seems like, gulp... a good deal. And AP is still way more relaxing on the freeway driving long distances. Hopefully, Rivian does really well and pushes Tesla prices down a bit.

They’d advertise if that was the switch...
Yep. Also, magneride is an adaptive damper technology (currently the best on the market), not a spring. It does allow a near-infinite range of damping force, which is kind of cool, but doesn't really make the tire or the occupants any happier - the response time is the real magic and from what I can see just watching the readouts on my ravenX it's in dire need of quicker response time - it can lock down and be a stiff damper if it wants to be, but then you get a lot of head toss and high-frequency motion you can feel inside, and wheel control is only good if you crank it all the way up, IMO.

Mag ride with air springs is already a thing on a number of vehicles, however. Escalade etc.

I'd be surprised if they switched to magride though. They'd have to license from somebody else IIRC (Delphi? I think GM had exclusive rights for a time after it was developed) the latest, CAN-integrated iteration of the tech is still patented, and licensing that kind of stuff isn't really Tesla's thang

EDIT: Now in Chinese hands, MagneRide is riding high

Well that was a fun rabbithole. MagRide was acquired by BWI after Delphi's bankruptcy. That's why it's proliferating lately. Good damping for all!

Last edited:
Looks like they’re still way too close together to be useful. That’s a bummer. I figured that was an easy fix.

Re: Steering wheel, yoke could just be a PR game. Wouldn’t surprise me.

I was just showing these to my wife and she agreed - the “lower” cup holders on the S/X are near perfect. They accommodate larger containers (think swell bottles or Yeti coffee tumblers) better than any other vehicle I’ve ever owned. Would hate to lose those.

What about AP hardware in the refreshed X (and S)? They seem to update that every two years and last one was 2019. I feel like they're going to upgrade to 3.5 or 4 this year. I do not believe their claim that "with 8 cameras and the FSD computer, you'll be good to go". They say that after every AP update. Anyone else think there's more coming?

2207A8F2-B72B-451B-9889-5A080EB6878A.jpeg
Wonder if the model X will get this too?

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric