Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of a '21 MX LR on Friday. The ride is incredible. The switchgear and the responsiveness of the tech compared to my '20 MYP are both trash. Also, I much prefer the single, widescreen setup of my Y.

That said, I still don't regret taking the X, and would have even if I had known for sure a refresh was coming. I wanted the car for some fun road trips this winter and I won't adjust my life based on product launch timing.

Also, if I really have one of the last examples of the 2-screen X (or vertical screen X), I think there will be strong second-hand demand for it: I know three S owners who won't go near a 3/Y due to screen layout.

So this I say to '20/'21 MX owners: enjoy that sweet ride and don't look back!

Took delivery of a '21 MX LR on Friday. The ride is incredible. The switchgear and the responsiveness of the tech compared to my '20 MYP are both trash. Also, I much prefer the single, widescreen setup of my Y.

That said, I still don't regret taking the X, and would have even if I had known for sure a refresh was coming. I wanted the car for some fun road trips this winter and I won't adjust my life based on product launch timing.

Also, if I really have one of the last examples of the 2-screen X (or vertical screen X), I think there will be strong second-hand demand for it: I know three S owners who won't go near a 3/Y due to screen layout.

So this I say to '20/'21 MX owners: enjoy that sweet ride and don't look back!

you nailed it bud! One thing that most likely with the refresh is they put cheaper parts but higher price tag just because it’s “refresh”.

Reactions: jb401
They are doing something to the production line. It is highly unlikely that the new production line will produce a car that is identical to the car coming off the line now. Tesla is always incrementally changing the design. I’m 100% sure there will be some changes, the question is how big will they be, and do they rise to what the community labels a “refresh.” I would guess that it will not be huge based on people already having orders that are to be fulfilled in March. I think it is unlikely that this is so much better that it comes with a much higher price, or else people with orders in now will get the deal of the decade.

The one thing that sticks in my mind to the other direction is the leaked report via a mobile ranger that they were in the training process for being able to service something new. But that could be as simple as the addition of a heat pump.

They are doing something to the production line. It is highly unlikely that the new production line will produce a car that is identical to the car coming off the line now. Tesla is always incrementally changing the design. I’m 100% sure there will be some changes, the question is how big will they be, and do they rise to what the community labels a “refresh.” I would guess that it will not be huge based on people already having orders that are to be fulfilled in March. I think it is unlikely that this is so much better that it comes with a much higher price, or else people with orders in now will get the deal of the decade.

The one thing that sticks in my mind to the other direction is the leaked report via a mobile ranger that they were in the training process for being able to service something new. But that could be as simple as the addition of a heat pump.

Honestly, something as simple as a heat pump would still be a huge difference for me.

Reactions: boonedocks
so much competition coming hard to decide. I will wait and see what this X refresh is all about, but I also put deposit for cybertruck and hummer ev.
Tesla seals are so poorly engineered that if this cybetruck is supposedly amphibious no way am I taking it in lake, I will be at the bottom texting my wife to save me!

Probably not anymore. MIC Model Y will probably be #1 closely followed by MIC Model 3. The new MIC Model 3 Performance will certainly be the highest of all.
These numbers have been run several times. The specifics vary but relationships hold.
Renewal of Models S and X to simplify production and eliminate expensive HVAC and BMS solutions plus parts count reduction etc will certainly improve margins and might restore the former status of Model S.
How much change can be accomplished during a two week shutdown at year end;)

actually, a ton of changes. Remember that the shutdown is only to put the equipment in place, not to design it and make it. And, I'm going to disagree with you dramatically on the profit margin. every company has high volume low profit cars and low volume high profit cars. Look at the Mercedes S-Class. BMW and Audi have the same thing. You still make them, you still sell them for very high profit margins. Of course they don't make you much money overall. Nobody ever thought they would. But they do make money, and present a Halo appearance to the entire brand. the S and the X are not going anywhere. And I believe they will be enhanced. Now - is this the time? I don't know that I could say yes.

I'd think more range, more features, and similar price. They need a halo car - I think.

you may be right but I think they need an affordable 3 row mid size SUV. They would sell a ton of them if they could pull it off. There are a lot of people that would like an EV but an X is $40k more than a loaded ICE mid size SUV. Not easy to justify.

I want an EV but we will probably have to settle for a $47k loaded Telluride or something similar. Interior is nicer, a lot more tech, quiet, reliable, etc. Only thing it’s missing is it is not an EV. Almost a dealbreaker but can’t justify spending close to $90k on the Model X (6 seater).

I'd think more range, more features, and similar price. They need a halo car - I think.

Model S has been that and the Roadster will become the new Halo car.

X was never necessary, even Elon said they didn't have to make it, and with the Y out, even more so.

Model Y is a lot smaller...not even close to being a replacement for an X if you need the size.

"Smaller'

Lol. My 3 has too much room. Y has even more room than the 3. The Y has plenty of room for anyone and sales say otherwise!

Reactions: 5JMJ
Model S has been that and the Roadster will become the new Halo car.

X was never necessary, even Elon said they didn't have to make it, and with the Y out, even more so.

"Smaller'

Lol. My 3 has too much room. Y has even more room than the 3. The Y has plenty of room for anyone and sales say otherwise!

what do sales have to do with the size of the Y? It’s pretty easy to look of the dimensions to see that the X is clearly bigger than the Y, and with additional seating up to 7.

The Y will probably end up being the car for me but we need to new family car first and the Y is just too small.

I love my 2017 X100D, but a refresh or redesigned X should just get rid of the falcon wing doors to start. Less expensive to manufacture and service; higher margins, I’d assume. Original X owners would he happy they have a collector’s item. Just make a bigger Y with air suspension, more luxury features, and take your pick 1-2 screens, and control the price to around $80k (not counting Plaid).

Now how will this timing, if true, incorporate the 4680 cells? Those won’t be ready for another year, right?