Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it is possible that they would redesign the chassis so that a new pack for the new cells would fit, but not yet use the new cells They may use 18650s inside of a pack the correct size, while they wait for the production of the batteries to increase to the point where they can use them properly. Shoot, they may even keep that configuration and only use the new cells for the plaid version.

I don't think they need to worry about the structural pack idea with these cars. The S and the x. They're large enough that the weight penalty is not enough to warrant a rework of the body design to that degree.

The battery pack is more than a big empty metal box to hold the cells. It wouldn't be trivial to put 18650's into a pack designed for 4680's - they would have to redesign the entire BMS to accommodate the different cells and their different layout. It's probably not worth it for them to put all that effort in to use old battery cells on a new structure. IMO it's going to be all or nothing - either a complete refresh to the 4680 cells, or keep the existing battery pack. I don't see how it makes sense for them to do anything in between.

Reactions: bhzmark
The battery pack is more than a big empty metal box to hold the cells. It wouldn't be trivial to put 18650's into a pack designed for 4680's - they would have to redesign the entire BMS to accommodate the different cells and their different layout. It's probably not worth it for them to put all that effort in to use old battery cells on a new structure. IMO it's going to be all or nothing - either a complete refresh to the 4680 cells, or keep the existing battery pack. I don't see how it makes sense for them to do anything in between.

We will find out in January...Q1 ‘21 could be big sales bump for MX if changes are significant enough

I get your point but I think you may not be correct. I think the 18650s may be in use for another 5 years or more. about that long ago, well about 4 years ago, when I said we wouldn't get the 2170s in the x or s, I wondered how long they could possibly keep making them. Now I'm thinking there's no reason not to for another 5 years! Remember, chemistry is the issue when it comes to innovation in batteries. Yes, the structure of the newer larger cells is better for energy density, cooling, etc. But it may not make any difference for a standard range model X (or S). 5 years of vehicles? Might be worth the effort. The possibility existed it would be a relatively minor change from the current pack structure internally. I don't know enough to say though.

Tesla Model S & Model X 'service key' code spotted in firmware
Handsfree phone unlocking may also hint at a refresh, since new Bluetooth hardware would be required
That would be awesome! That's one of the things I really like about the Model 3. Although, the keyfob on the X actually more useful than other cars because you can open/close the falcon wing doors too with it. It's nice to start opening the falcon wing door as you're walking up so that it's fully open by the time you get there.

Reactions: DIL
That would be awesome! That's one of the things I really like about the Model 3. Although, the keyfob on the X actually more useful than other cars because you can open/close the falcon wing doors too with it. It's nice to start opening the falcon wing door as you're walking up so that it's fully open by the time you get there.
You contemplating pulling the trigger if a refreshed X comes out? Selfishly I'm hoping so since we would likely get more videos. Haha.

You contemplating pulling the trigger if a refreshed X comes out? Selfishly I'm hoping so since we would likely get more videos. Haha.

We put our order on a new X on hold one week before delivery date. (16th des) - I am pretty sure there will be some changes in the 2021 edition.

Hoping for

- Interior refresh with better seats. Maybe seats with cooling or massage.
- Improved interior quality.
- Horisontal screen, but with an additional display as speedometer / or HUD.
- Screen in the back for HVAC/Media/Fun
- New and improved headlights. Maybe with matrix function.
- New charge port with CCS. Will also bring som minor adjustments to the rear lights.
- Heat pump
- Wireless charging for at least two phones.
- Better noise reduction
- Chrome delete as standard
- Improved range, but not so sure which battery technology they will use.
- New range will not be improved by a lot, but will be unlocked in oncoming firmware updates. Guessing 5-8%
++

Some of this will bring the X just up to par with the M3 and MY.
Model X is the flagship and most premium model in Teslas lineup, therefore it can't be lagging behind M3 and MY for years to come.

Mercedes EQC, Audi eTron and Jaguar iPace outperforms Model X in price, interior and quality. They are still some years behind on technology and range. But they will catch up.. If Tesla plans to sell S&X at high prices they have to do some work with the old and outdated interior++

Some say that this would be a lot of changes in just 18-days of shutdown. I think the shutdown is longer, but after 18 days the workers can resume to work and get training in assembling the "new and refreshed" model X (&S).

Wish you all a merry X-mas from Norway :)

Yes, I've been anxiously awaiting a refreshed Model X! I'm ready to pull the trigger on it once they update the interior. I'd also love some more range and the phone as a key feature, but those aren't complete deal breakers for me. I'm trying to keep my expectations low. haha.

I actually bought a Model 3, but never really had time to create any videos. Life kind of got in the way (kids, work, etc). Hopefully I'll be able to find the time to start making content again. I do miss it.

I feel very fortunate to have a MS lease ending in March. Plan to lease MX next to accommodate growing kids, regardless of refresh. But it sure would be nice to get some big updates. I’d like to see increased range on Performance model and more wheel options. Could be perfect timing?!?

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Yes, I've been anxiously awaiting a refreshed Model X! I'm ready to pull the trigger on it once they update the interior. I'd also love some more range and the phone as a key feature, but those aren't complete deal breakers for me. I'm trying to keep my expectations low. haha.

I actually bought a Model 3, but never really had time to create any videos. Life kind of got in the way (kids, work, etc). Hopefully I'll be able to find the time to start making content again. I do miss it.
More videos please!

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer

I would hate it if they got rid of the keyfob. I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't always take there phone everywhere. When I do have it in the car I only take it with me when i get out if I'm sure I will need it where I'm going. I sometimes don't take the phone at all. I also turn off Bluetooth whenever I have the phone outside the car.

I also use the key fob to open the hatch. It's incredibly handy, not just in a parking lot, but at the house sometimes too. If I have something to put in the hatch at the house, I use the spare key fob that hangs on a hook in the hall to open the hatch so I don't have to put down what I'm carrying to open the hatch.

I can open it from the app, but there is a delay while the app connects and the key fob has no delay.