Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have clearance for the FWD you can override the sensors and allow them to fully raise. Our 2019 Model X would not raise the FWD fully on the first attempt. After checking clearance I just held the UP button down, there will be warning alerts, and the doors extended. You have an option to geo fence the location and tell the doors it is OK to raise fully at this location. Regarding garage use in California, I have never considered in my over 50 years of driving to ever own more vehicles than I could fully garage. That is now 5 cars and two motorcycles.

Reactions: msm859
Look at front fender. Right pic fender sticks out further to me. The side rearward facing camera is in a different position. I wouldn't be surprised if that was updated to a side facing camera in addition to rear facing.
https://twitter.com/AEONde/status/1345145220120383489/photo/1
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EqrqXHZXEAEYMd8?format=jpg&name=large
EqrqXHZXEAEYMd8

But the rear light cluster is the same.....

Here in Europe any exterior refresh will need room for the CCS2 Charging plug (Which is now the supercharger standard) - However the CCS2 plug is too big to fit under the existing S/X light cluster.

So either this is not the refresh, or at least, not all of it.

Here in Europe any exterior refresh will need room for the CCS2 Charging plug (Which is now the supercharger standard)

Need? You mean they can't keep the same taillight/inlet and continue to provide the CCS adapter with the car? Or they could go the route they did with the Chinese cars and put a "gas flap" in the quarter panel for the CCS connector.

Do you have a link to more info on the "standard"? Is it enforced? Will the adapter not work?

The V3 Supercharger sites they are installing in Europe only have the CCS connector. So you have to have a CCS adapter to use them. New S&X come with the adapter, older cars have to purchase the adapter, which may require a HW retrofit on the car depending on when it was built. (Included in the price of the adapter.)

Note: The CCS adapter is limited to ~142kW, so while it can be used at V3 sites it can't get V3 speeds.

Reactions: daktari
Unlikely to happen in parallel. Tesla updated their site awhile ago to S Plaid preorders, but X is silent. If they were planning on updating them in parallel, the X would have Plaid preorders available too.
If the S and X production lines are shared, they will have to change both at the same time. If not, then yes potentially they could keep the X on the old platform (assuming the refresh is real). Although who knows why they would want to, as maintaining separate architecture for the S and X will be more costly for them and very inefficient.

We would buy a MX w/o FWD in a heartbeat. We live in a typical California 50's ranch house w/ a 2 car garage and couldn't raise the FWD in the garage during our test drive- they go up about 6 inches. Totally unusable for us. Not interested in the Y at all. Yes, we are one of the rare Californians who keep our cars in the garage.

Agreed.

The FWD are an awesome novel feature, but I'd rather see the cost and complexity reduced.

If the S and X production lines are shared, they will have to change both at the same time. If not, then yes potentially they could keep the X on the old platform (assuming the refresh is real). Although who knows why they would want to, as maintaining separate architecture for the S and X will be more costly for them and very inefficient.
Or they could just cancel the X all together. It is is the lowest demand of all the lines and the highest production cost. The most efficient thing Tesla could do is release the S Plaid and retire the X.
Still the fact the Tesla has been allowing MS Plaid pre-orders for more than 3 months now, MS Plaids have been seen being tested, and not once single spotting or website update for the X. All signs are currently pointing to the X not getting the Plaid update.
As a 2 X household, I am really hoping I am wrong here. I would hate to see the X get cancelled, but that is just what I am inferring from the current data.

Or they could just cancel the X all together. It is is the lowest demand of all the lines and the highest production cost. The most efficient thing Tesla could do is release the S Plaid and retire the X.
Still the fact the Tesla has been allowing MS Plaid pre-orders for more than 3 months now, MS Plaids have been seen being tested, and not once single spotting or website update for the X. All signs are currently pointing to the X not getting the Plaid update.
As a 2 X household, I am really hoping I am wrong here. I would hate to see the X get cancelled, but that is just what I am inferring from the current data.
You could well be right

All signs are currently pointing to the X not getting the Plaid update.

Not getting Plaid is one thing ... cancelling is wholly different. There's nothing else like it on the market. There are no viable 7-seat options aside from the X in an EV.

I can't see it going anywhere for a long while.

Model X is the only Tesla qualified to receive the small business owner Section 179 tax deductions. They can write off the total cost of their purchase in the first year of ownership.

For many, this makes the X net less expensive than even the lowest price Model 3.

If they cancel the X with Falcon Wing Doors, how are they supposed to get their Astronauts to their rockets :)

Not getting Plaid is one thing ... cancelling is wholly different. There's nothing else like it on the market. There are no viable 7-seat options aside from the X in an EV.

I can't see it going anywhere for a long while.
The Mercedes EQV has 6/7/8 seat configurations and the Model Y 7 seater is coming this year. But the X still has the lowest demand of any Tesla. Even with no real competition, people still don’t buy many of them. Having no competition and still being the lowest demand line is pretty telling. If Tesla cancelled the X, it wouldn’t be a real loss to profits.