Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If no FWDs , What different from Model Y ?

Size (most important reason for family with kids), nicer interior, 2 screens, longer range, quieter (?), 2nd row captains chairs, more storage, etc.

I am surprised anyone would think the only difference between the X and the Y are the FWD.

The issue is the X is way to expensive for most families. If they can save a lot of costs and weight by using regular doors than a lot more families would purchase the X over a 3 row ICE vehicle. I know I would be one of them. Kills me to buy an ICE vehicle right now but the X is way too pricey and there are currently no other EV options. I will be keeping an eye on the VW 3 row SUV that is suppose to be released in 2022...but I would rather have a Tesla.

Sound like Model Y upgrade battery for me. Because size almost the same.

The size is most definitely not almost the same. I am starting to think you are just messing with us. Also, the 3rd row 7 seat option is a joke for the Y.

Model X: 11" longer , 3" wider, and with 20 cubic feet of more cargo volume than the Y. Not even close.

Sound like Model Y upgrade battery for me. Because size almost the same.

This is objectively not true. You're also ignoring the many other differences MorrisonHiker pointed out.

And good luck fitting into the Model Y 3rd row if you're taller than 4ft. I'm sure you'll volunteer to sit in that MY third row for a road trip since you're so confident about it.

I must admit i agree with the comments that 4680s not likely in updated Model X. Just not enough 4680s in production yet for MX to get them too. but, I do think Kim Java makes alot of good points about the FWDs and she has more experience with them than just about anybody. And i used to own a 2017 MX and have test driven an MY, and as far as i am concerned there are a ton of differences between the two cars. Since the employees return on Jan 11 i am assuming Tesla will have to make some kind of announcement by then, since once all the employees are back it will be hard to keep things secret any longer...

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
I would not be surprised if there are some minor changes to the S/X when production resumes, but the shutdown is much more inline with maintenance on the production line than a major refresh.
This. They have been doing this forever at this time of the year. They would also shift production for different markets too.

• Disagree
Reactions: tierneyalvin
I ordered Dec 7. From my order page:

'Estimated Delivery: February 15 - March 15

We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date. Delivery time frame is based on order date, profile submission, delivery location and vehicle configuration.'

So order date does matter but it is not the only factor. Your risk in ordering now is a $100 non-refundable deposit. With that you establish the order date, lock in the price for the car and FSD. In Europe the X price increased for the March delivery batch: Tesla increases prices on next EU batch of Model S and Model X —sparking refresh rumors - Electrek

A November reservation holder in the UK said he will still get the old price:
Model X Next Refresh

Ok, I don't know if I've jinxed the refresh or not but I've put in a reservation for an X. I'm ready!

Rounded the corner today and saw this beautiful baby, which happens to be mine, sitting next to average joe blow vehicle, and was again renewed in how fortunate I feel to be boarding this space ship. I can’t convey how utterly futuristic this 3 year old car still looks to my eyes. No need to “refresh” anything on the exterior IMHO.
3A9350B9-11DE-42A3-990F-3CC2DA2A0B5C.jpeg

Rounded the corner today and saw this beautiful baby, which happens to be mine, sitting next to average joe blow vehicle, and was again renewed in how fortunate I feel to be boarding this space ship. I can’t convey how utterly futuristic this 3 year old car still looks to my eyes. No need to “refresh” anything on the exterior IMHO.
View attachment 625381
Beautiful! What wheels and tires are you running? How do they do in the winter?

• Disagree
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Longer range, bigger battery, longer wheelbase, more passenger room, more seating options, more cargo room, air suspension, bioweapon defense mode, panoramic windshield, etc.
You also forgot better display layout with actual dashboard, better performance, more head room, more shoulder room, more towing capacity, better stereo, self presenting/closing doors, and heated steering wheel. The X is better in pretty much every aspect except price.

Beautiful! What wheels and tires are you running? How do they do in the winter?
Stock 20” wheels and tires, just powder coated. Despite the snow in the picture, I only take this one out when roads are clear. I did get caught off-guard for the first time last month, though, finding myself on a narrow, steep unplowed street (gotta love Pittsburgh streets.) It wasn’t pretty, but I got down it without incident. Would not recommend these all seasons for those conditions!

• Disagree
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I do believe the possibility exists that the battery pack shape might change to some degree, not so much because they'll use the new cells as because they'll make a pack shape that can use them once the supply is available.

They should definitely re-think the rear footwell space same way as has been done in some competitors, to give better support in the rear for longer trips (more of an issue on the Model S).

Yes, today. Also, the order page is still showing 8-12 weeks delivery which would now put at as late as the beginning of April. For that much time, there must be something big going on.

Congratulations!! You’ll love it.
Now on the delay - yes and no. That still puts us in the March timeframe. Typically the first 2 months of each quarter there’s a heavy focus on getting overseas deliveries done, and then a large push domestically. I suspect (no data, just a guess) that we’ll see the S/X assembly line open again in the next week or two, and then once builds start, the overseas ones go first. So I’d still expect to see yours in March ... they’re going to want every delivery possible in Q1 on whatever the S/X refresh is all about.

Reactions: Jetpad