Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And to expand on that, if there had been a $73,500 7-seat Model X with a 240 mile rated range, that's what I would have bought. I'll take the extra range and performance of the LR+, but an SR MOdel X would have been just fine with me. I think the LR/7-seat Model Y is a pretty compelling package against the X at $54k (including the hitch for most comparable config to the X's standard equipment), so long as you don't mind a little less luxury, not getting hit in the head by your back doors, and a more cramped 3rd row (while I can say withuot being a fanboy that I'm comfortable in the 3rd row of our 7seat X with the second row slid forward, which still leaves plenty of room for me in the 2nd row even at 5'11 and 190, hundreds of thousands of midsize 3-row SUV buyers seem not to mind the occasional pinched foot and shoulders for their 3rd row passengers) I think the Y is going to eat a lot of X sales. And a lot of sales of everythign else, at $45-53k for a 7-seater with, effectively, the same cargo space as the 5-seater (only real penalty is likely a smaller basement in the trunk).

I know I'll be checking it out thoroughly when one is on the lot at the Tesla Center.

Last edited:
And to expand on that, if there had been a $73,500 7-seat Model X with a 240 mile rated range, that's what I would have bought. I'll take the extra range and performance of the LR+, but an SR MOdel X would have been just fine with me. I think the LR/7-seat Model Y is a pretty compelling package against the X at $54k (including the hitch for most comparable config to the X's standard equipment), so long as you don't mind a little less luxury, not getting hit in the head by your back doors, and a more cramped 3rd row (while I can say withuot being a fanboy that I'm comfortable in the 3rd row of our 7seat X with the second row slid forward, which still leaves plenty of room for me in the 2nd row even at 5'11 and 190, hundreds of thousands of midsize 3-row SUV buyers seem not to mind the occasional pinched foot and shoulders for their 3rd row passengers) I think the Y is going to eat a lot of X sales. And a lot of sales of everythign else, at $45-53k for a 7-seater with, effectively, the same cargo space as the 5-seater (only real penalty is likely a smaller basement in the trunk).

I know I'll be checking it out thoroughly when one is on the lot at the Tesla Center.
The Model Y will have no impact on the Model X sales. They are very different classes of vehicles that appeal to different types of buyers. That is like claiming the newly released 7 seater BMW X5 series would eat into the X7 series sales, but the X7 sales doubled and X5 sales dropped 17% the year when the 7 seater X5 was released. In the 2 years its been an available option, estimates show that less than 20% of X5 buyers even add the 7 seat option. Not many people want a cramped mid-sized SUV. Majority of Model X buyers cross shop it with other large SUVs like X7, Range Rover, Q7, Navigator, ect.

The Model Y is only going to eat into the Model 3 sales. They are nearly identical in size and price. The Model Y gets cross-shopped to the Mach-E, e-Tron, Model 3, ect, not the MX.

In the 2 years its been an available option, estimates show that less than 20% of X5 buyers even add the 7 seat option. Not many people want a cramped mid-sized SUV. Majority of Model X buyers cross shop it with other large SUVs like X7, Range Rover, Q7, Navigator, ect.

The Model Y is only going to eat into the Model 3 sales. They are nearly identical in size and price. The Model Y gets cross-shopped to the Mach-E, e-Tron, Model 3, ect, not the MX.

I think of the Model Y as the cross to the Acura MDX and other midsize SUVs.

Ever seen the 3rd row option on an MDX? It's pretty unusable for anyone older than 8. Of course I haven't seen it yet but I expect the Model Y to be similar. Same with the Cadillac XT6 - although even that is likely a little larger than the Y.

I think of the Model Y as the cross to the Acura MDX and other midsize SUVs.

Ever seen the 3rd row option on an MDX? It's pretty unusable for anyone older than 8. Of course I haven't seen it yet but I expect the Model Y to be similar. Same with the Cadillac XT6 - although even that is likely a little larger than the Y.
Agreed. The 3rd row on midsize SUVs are borderline useless. It is why, even as an available option on the X5, almost no one gets it. The 3rd row on the MDX is very tight and the MDX is a foot longer than the MY with 35% more cargo space. The MDX 3rd row is measured at 28in of legroom, meaning the MY will probably be around 20in. Keep in mind the Model x 3rd row legroom is 33in and is still snug for my 5'5 120lb wife. The few times she has been back there she had maybe 2-3 inches of legroom to spare. With 20-30% less room in the Model Y 3rd row, it will not be functional for anyone except very small children. Also very unlikely Tesla adds rear HVAC ducts for the 3rd row like the MX has. So it means it will be extra uncomfortable. I'm guessing that the 3rd row seating will not be a popular option on the Y.

Agreed. The 3rd row on midsize SUVs are borderline useless. It is why, even as an available option on the X5, almost no one gets it. The 3rd row on the MDX is very tight and the MDX is a foot longer than the MY with 35% more cargo space. The MDX 3rd row is measured at 28in of legroom, meaning the MY will probably be around 20in. Keep in mind the Model x 3rd row legroom is 33in and is still snug for my 5'5 120lb wife. The few times she has been back there she had maybe 2-3 inches of legroom to spare. With 20-30% less room in the Model Y 3rd row, it will not be functional for anyone except very small children. Also very unlikely Tesla adds rear HVAC ducts for the 3rd row like the MX has. So it means it will be extra uncomfortable. I'm guessing that the 3rd row seating will not be a popular option on the Y.

100% true! A friend of mine has the MDX and the 3rd row is totally useless if you're an adult.

In our case, we came out of a Buick Enclave. That's as large a crossover as exists on the market - and actually has a usable third row. I've spent a multi-hour trip back there and survived. Now that we have an X instead, we do notice the difference.... and we went with a 6-seater to kinda maximize the usefulness of the 3rd row.

I couldn't imagine stuffing myself into a Model Y's 3rd row. It's just not a big enough platform for it to be comfortable. Emergency use only kinda thing IMO.

Reactions: JamesBrown
Usability, IMO, doesn't factor into the decision to get that vestigial 3rd row. It's all about that edge case what if I need to take timmy and 4 friends to soccer practice bceause I like timmy's mom and she has a minivan and I want to be able to help. Or I want to take one car when grandma visits, and I can just cram the kids in the back when they're here, that kind of thing.

The X's is legit big enuogh for grownups, which is nice. Not every size grownup, but many. It's a little bit of a cave, but the geometry is adequate for the average adult's physiology. I'm not sure what animal the Y's will be designed for, but, based on those headrests, I'd have to guess "something that doesn't mind wearing a glass hat". But, again, it doesn't have to be comfortable if the other choice is walking or taking two cars.

We haven't had our 3rd row up since we got a dog, two weeks after we got the car. But it's there if we need it. He's a good boy, btw

Last edited:
The Model Y will have no impact on the Model X sales. They are very different classes of vehicles that appeal to different types of buyers.
I respect that that is your opinion but I disagree with it. There is not an iron curtain between Model X and Model Y owners. There IS crossover. Someone might think they want a model Y, then decide to go for the model X instead. And vice versa. Some people have very concrete needs and wants; others change their mind as they look for cars. We thought we would hate the single screen of the model 3 so looked at a model S. We bought a model X instead. A year later we test drove a model 3, found that the single screen was ok, loved the feel of the minimal design and the smaller size of the vehicle. We now own a model 3 too. I appreciate each for what it is. I could see some day replacing one of them, I don’t know which, with a model Y.

There was another post recently that had said no one who has the money to buy an S/X would ever choose a 3/Y. I disagree with that too. 3/Y owners are not just S/X wannabes without sufficient funds. Some may be, but that would be an awful generalization.

I respect that that is your opinion but I disagree with it. There is not an iron curtain between Model X and Model Y owners. There IS crossover. Someone might think they want a model Y, then decide to go for the model X instead. And vice versa. Some people have very concrete needs and wants; others change their mind as they look for cars. We thought we would hate the single screen of the model 3 so looked at a model S. We bought a model X instead. A year later we test drove a model 3, found that the single screen was ok, loved the feel of the minimal design and the smaller size of the vehicle. We now own a model 3 too. I appreciate each for what it is. I could see some day replacing one of them, I don’t know which, with a model Y.

There was another post recently that had said no one who has the money to buy an S/X would ever choose a 3/Y. I disagree with that too. 3/Y owners are not just S/X wannabes without sufficient funds. Some may be, but that would be an awful generalization.
I would agree with this. I'd buy a model Y, the ONLY reason I want a MX is to tow my larger ski boat 1-12 times a year.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tiger

Rarely does someone just randomly decide they want a car at nearly double the cost. There might be a tiny percentage of crossover. Last year one of my best friends traded in his BMW X6M for a Volvo XC90. It doesn’t mean they are comparable vehicles. Either way the Y will have no impact on MX sales.

I had written a very scathing response to that post, and then deleted it. Wasn’t worth it. But I agree wholeheartedly.

I have both a 3 and an X. Each are fantastic for what they are. I like the little sports car racer feel of the 3, and yet like the air float of the X, too. They’re different — not better or worse than each, just different.

We haven't had our 3rd row up since we got a dog, two weeks after we got the car. But it's there if we need it. He's a good boy, btw

Photo please!! Here’s our frunkpuppy!

64EEE58A-9908-4EB3-9484-929808EFB402.jpeg

Complete personal preference, but I bought an X at a price premium over a Y because I just could not stand the look of the Y. Where as the S and X look related, they look appropriate to their type. The 3 looks decent with appropriate wheels but then the Y just looks like the 3 is stretched in the Z direction and at the time there were no good (again, my opinion) wheel options and I really just have no desire to deal with aftermarket. I know these are very generalized visual differences and complete personal opinion, but just throwing my personal situation in the ring.

...Also, back to the original topic of this thread, I still doubt any major refresh is coming :)