Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rarely does someone just randomly decide they want a car at nearly double the cost. There might be a tiny percentage of crossover. Last year one of my best friends traded in his BMW X6M for a Volvo XC90. It doesn’t mean they are comparable vehicles. Either way the Y will have no impact on MX sales.

We ordered our MX last Sunday night. Didn't look at the Y. Actually, with Covid, and sales center being 3 hours away, we haven't driven a single Tesla, so completely based on what we read and see on the internet, for better or worse.

Our reasons for X:

1. Space.Caddy SRX it's replacing just doesn't have enough cargo room. When kids were young, got spoiled by the space of a Caravan and miss that now that we downsized. The Y is about size of SRX, X has more cargo space, so YEA

2. We just can't get over the minimalist look and single screen of the Y. Some like it, we are old school and dual screens just seems better.

3. X has a little more range. Yes, in Northern Wis and The U.P. there is a SC waste land still and our cabin is going to be a challenge in the winter. Even 50 miles of extra EPA range (not real I know) is a help. (Y heat pump IS a plus for Y, maybe shutdown X gets one???? Please.)

4. X rides smoother. I'm getting to the point in life where a smoother ride is more important than sports car handling.

4. X rides smoother and roads in Northern Wis SUCK. Had a sports car and couldn't handle the broken pavement ride.

5. FWD = YES! There isn't a single Tesla for miles and much like in 2016 when the wow factor of the X was something, it should still be here. I have no problem with the attention the X and it's wings may bring as I can push the advantages of electric cars in general.

(Have a 2019 Volt, so I own my 'gateway electric car' already. So I know of instant torque, quite running, regen braking, cold weather impact, for 53 miles of electric range.)

Never cross shopped smaller Y, with ride, cargo, range and screen limitations.

And on-topic, would like More range, 4680 batteries (yea, right), Heat Pump, Dual Pane windows, and better headlights. Exterior looks great still. Like doors even if will be a pain in the winter with freezing, etc. Don't care about de-chroming or interior update as afraid interior change will = 1 screen.

Plus TSLA stock is doing so well, the X has paid for itself, literally.

Last edited:
We ordered our MX last Sunday night. Didn't look at the Y. Actually, with Covid, and sales center being 3 hours away, we haven't driven a single Tesla, so completely based on what we read and see on the internet, for better or worse.

Our reasons for X:

1. Space.Caddy SRX it's replacing just doesn't have enough cargo room. When kids were young, got spoiled by the space of a Caravan and miss that now that we downsized. The Y is about size of SRX, X has more cargo space, so YEA

Congratulations! You’re going to LOVE it. In every way possible.

I had a ‘13 SRX and a ‘17 XT5 Platinum. Both were comfy cars, but the X is a whole different playing field. The SRX especially will feel like an antique.... the ride in the X is so much smoother and stable. Heck, even my Model 3 has a better ride than the SRX. Compared to the XT5, it’s a tougher call vs the 3, but the X is still next-worldly.

As for size ... my wife came out of an ‘18 Enclave (and a ‘13 before that, and an ‘08 Acadia before that) - so the X is definitely smaller than those ... but not as much as it would appear. Between the under trunk and the gigantic frunk, the cargo capacity is really impressive in the X. About the only thing I can’t do without the Buick is transport whole 4x8 sheets of plywood anymore. And that’s fine. For the once every few years, I’ll rent the $20 Home Depot truck.

I was always a GM guy, and wish them well in the transition to an all-EV lineup, but I wanted the future now.

You’re going to love the X. It’ll make you realize - fast - how far behind everyone else is.

Congratulations! You’re going to LOVE it. In every way possible.

The SRX especially will feel like an antique.... the ride in the X is so much smoother and stable.

As for size ... About the only thing I can’t do without the Buick is transport whole 4x8 sheets of plywood anymore.

You’re going to love the X. It’ll make you realize - fast - how far behind everyone else is.

Thing is, other than small cargo size, we really like the SRX. Quite(Bose active noise cancelation on ours), not a single rattle or interior squeek with 85k miles. Reliable. But have a Volt so can see electric is the future. Plus have excess solar on roof for 8 month out of the year, so can use that instead of selling back to the power company for almost nothing.

Miss hauling 4x8 sheets in Caravan but have a small 5x8.5 foot trailer X will pull with ease for that. That's what use with Caddy now for big stuff.

I hope love the X. Like said, pretty much live in TruckVille. NEVER see a Tesla in town. I have only seen an X in person once, back in 2017.

On topic, all I want is better headlights, more range to handle the super charger wastlanduup here in the winter. And a heat pump for range in winter. (we are an edge case. Look at existing SC map from north central Wis. Can go NW, SW, S, SE but try and go NE. Nothing in NE Wis or the U. P. Using plug share, RV park charging doesn't work in the winter, they are closed for the seaon. I Need 220 miles door to door in the dead of winter.) Also like the style of the existing s/x. Look timeless. No change needed for us right now.

Excited!

Last edited:
I just want the BEST seats ever in an SUV on Model X. I want the length, width and height increased to 200, 79 and 72 inchses respectively. I want ambient lighting and HUD. If center screen is going to be changed to horizontal, it has to be embedded in dash. I want a rich interior. I want the charging speed to be increased to 250KW for 50% and 200KW for 20% and 150KW for 10% battery charge. I am ok with the current range of 371 miles.

I just want the BEST seats ever in an SUV on Model X. I want the length, width and height increased to 200, 79 and 72 inchses respectively. I want ambient lighting and HUD. If center screen is going to be changed to horizontal, it has to be embedded in dash. I want a rich interior. I want the charging speed to be increased to 250KW for 50% and 200KW for 20% and 150KW for 10% battery charge. I am ok with the current range of 371 miles.

OK, all this! (but size increase seems like alot to ask for in 18 days shutdown and no spy photos of a bigger one driving around Cali.) Plus just 50 more miles epa as that would be 30 winter real world and U. P. cabin here we come with zero concerns.

Last edited:
Reactions: andrewdtran
I’m going to replace my Model X 100d within a few months and really hope they will release a new facelifted X. Rumors have it that the facelift is near. What’s your guess? When will they start rolling a facelifted version out?

In general I’ve been really happy with the car, But my wishlist includes the following:

1. rain sensor. It’s really bad.
2. Scheduled heating in the app.
3. No touch opening of the trunk, like swiveling with foot underneath bumper as BMW has.
4. Automatic tow hitch
5. Better sun visors. They’re a tad small and tend to rattle.
6. Lane change warning on mirrors or cameras instead of mirrors.

Naturally I want better seats, better range, improved looks and interior as well.

Thing is, other than small cargo size, we really like the SRX. Quite(Bose active noise cancelation on ours), not a single rattle or interior squeek with 85k miles. Reliable. But have a Volt so can see electric is the future. Plus have excess solar on roof for 8 month out of the year, so can use that instead of selling back to the power company for almost nothing.

Miss hauling 4x8 sheets in Caravan but have a small 5x8.5 foot trailer X will pull with ease for that. That's what use with Caddy now for big stuff.

I hope love the X. Like said, pretty much live in TruckVille. NEVER see a Tesla in town. I have only seen an X in person once, back in 2017.

On topic, all I want is better headlights, more range to handle the super charger wastlanduup here in the winter. And a heat pump for range in winter. (we are an edge case. Look at existing SC map from north central Wis. Can go NW, SW, S, SE but try and go NE. Nothing in NE Wis or the U. P. Using plug share, RV park charging doesn't work in the winter, they are closed for the seaon. I Need 220 miles door to door in the dead of winter.) Also like the style of the existing s/x. Look timeless. No change needed for us right now.

Excited!

If you’re happy with the SRX, you’re going to love the X. I never had this crazy desire to just drive like I do now. It’s fantastic. I do miss the thigh support from the SRX though. (My XT5 had it too but I believe they removed it from the 2018+).

Trailer towing will be no issue at all, so you’re good there.

I did notice the spacing on Superchargers in WI during our road trip this summer. Tesla just announced a whole number of new ones so hopefully that gets solves.
Also - if you don’t have it - strongly recommend the PlugShare app. Lots of locations I wouldn’t have though of are listed there!

I don’t think you’ll have an issue doing 220 miles in winter. The current LR+ is listed at 371 rated, so 220 should be doable. I haven’t gotten into dead of winter yet with the X but I’ll try to stretch its legs and let you know!

I don’t think you’ll have an issue doing 220 miles in winter. The current LR+ is listed at 371 rated, so 220 should be doable. I haven’t gotten into dead of winter yet with the X but I’ll try to stretch its legs and let you know!

Thank you, thank you! Most of the way is 55 mph 2 lane, so we go 60-62. One stretch in the U. P. is now 65 so go 70 in summer, less in winter with lake effect snow. As long as I can do under 450 w/m, I should make it. Saw some youtube guys down to 6 deg f were doing high 390s with a 2021 lr+.

Thank you, thank you! Most of the way is 55 mph 2 lane, so we go 60-62. One stretch in the U. P. is now 65 so go 70 in summer, less in winter with lake effect snow. As long as I can do under 450 w/m, I should make it. Saw some youtube guys down to 6 deg f were doing high 390s with a 2021 lr+.

For charging off the supercharger network, PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You is your friend. You won't get supercharger charging speeds off the Tesla network, but at least you can charge.

I have a Sep 2020 X LR++ that I love. I owned two model 3s, which were awesome for my long commute but didn’t fit my 3 kids. So when we downsized to 1 vehicle during this pandemic I sold my P3- and got the X.

I looked Hard at the Y, loved the price and handling, advanced cooling, simplicity and faster charging and travel. But I got the X for several reasons:
1. It fits 3 car seats across the middle row. This was the clincher
2. Air suspension - my wife hated the rock hard suspension of the 3, same as the Y.
3. It had the 3rd row, which just showed up this week for the Y configurer
4. FWD make getting kids In and out as easy as a van. A little showy but Functional
5. I can tow a 4,500 lb boat (dream) or airstream (done!)

I’m going to replace my Model X 100d within a few months and really hope they will release a new facelifted X. Rumors have it that the facelift is near. What’s your guess? When will they start rolling a facelifted version out?

In general I’ve been really happy with the car, But my wishlist includes the following:

1. rain sensor. It’s really bad.
2. Scheduled heating in the app.
3. No touch opening of the trunk, like swiveling with foot underneath bumper as BMW has.
4. Automatic tow hitch
5. Better sun visors. They’re a tad small and tend to rattle.
6. Lane change warning on mirrors or cameras instead of mirrors.

Naturally I want better seats, better range, improved looks and interior as well.
If you download the app Stats, you can schedule heating/cooling. You can also add Siri Shortcuts to open the trunk, not quite the same as foot sensor but works well with voice command on an Apple Watch. At least it helps with 2 of your issues.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
Tesla fans on twitter think a refresh will be announced shortly:

upload_2021-1-10_13-51-11.png

https://twitter.com/SawyerMerritt/status/1348332168280477700