Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Love
Reactions: tierneyalvin
I have the original 7 seater with the motorized middle seats. I thought the new fold-flat middle bench in the 5 seater would be more practical but on inspection found the seats to be clunky and awkward. I wonder if the new flip style in 7 seat Model Y tech will arrive in an updated Model X which would go a long way to decrease the middle row clunkines.
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1348365804199432192/pu/vid/958x444/MEMO4SyonSIlWXrg.mp4
Or perhaps give us the prototype seats that did both. ;)

Ok, but on a slight tangent - any bets as to when something firm might leak or show up? Will it be immediately or something a little down the line as to what exactly this whole stoppage might be about?
I would guess we will know this week IF three is a refresh coming or not, and some details of it if is coming soon. I figure once employees return on Jan 11 they cant keep things secret much longer. Of course, we might just hear that only tiny tweaks were done over the last couple weeks.

I would guess we will know this week IF three is a refresh coming or not, and some details of it if is coming soon. I figure once employees return on Jan 11 they cant keep things secret much longer. Of course, we might just hear that only tiny tweaks were done over the last couple weeks.

Agreed. If the theory is true that the line shutdown was for a refresh, we will know about it very soon - within a week or two max. There will start to be finished vehicles coming off the line soon, so if there are any major differences someone will take a photo and leak it.

So 1st full day of S/X production line back up and running.... I for one and completely shocked that there isn’t a single report of a refresh or any major changes. I mean Tesla is so well known for their punctuational refreshing of their vehicle lines.

So 1st full day of S/X production line back up and running.... I for one and completely shocked that there isn’t a single report of a refresh or any major changes. I mean Tesla is so well known for their punctuational refreshing of their vehicle lines.

So, the answer lies in that the earliest delivery date. I'm seeing for delivery is at least 8 weeks out. Is that the same out in California? If so, then why is there a delay for delivery? Does anyone have an earlier timeframe or is it as I've heard that this batch would be destined for Europe?

So, the answer lies in that the earliest delivery date. I'm seeing for delivery is at least 8 weeks out. Is that the same out in California? If so, then why is there a delay for delivery? Does anyone have an earlier timeframe or is it as I've heard that this batch would be destined for Europe?
My estimated delivery date is Feb 15 - March 15.

Reactions: TrevTremaine

It's pretty normal for them to send the first batch to Europe since it can take 1-2 months to ship the cars there. So, roughly speaking, the first month of production in the quarter is for Europe and the last two months are for the US.

Hundreds of people working there. If there was a major change like removal of FWD, Plaid, New Interior, ect... someone would have said something and there would be rumors of it all over social media. The only way it wouldn't be plastered everywhere is if there was no changes or simply minor updates. Even the Model Y SR heated steering wheel was "leaked" already and delivery isnt expected on those for another 5 weeks. If the addition of a heated steering wheel can be discovered prior to delivery, Im sure a major update to S/X would have been too.

Even the Model Y SR heated steering wheel was "leaked" already and delivery isnt expected on those for another 5 weeks. If the addition of a heated steering wheel can be discovered prior to delivery, Im sure a major update to S/X would have been too.

Actually for the Model Y the latest "leak" was someone reporting that their Model Y SR had a heated steering wheel, so not pre-delivery...

Actually for the Model Y the latest "leak" was someone reporting that their Model Y SR had a heated steering wheel, so not pre-delivery...

A heated steering wheel is not something obviously different. It probably looks exactly the same as the old steering wheel and maybe has one or two more cables for the person to install (if it's not done by a robot already). Unless you were directly involved with the design of the heated steering wheel, you wouldn't even know it's there. So maybe 5-10 people max in the whole company would know about it.

Compare that to some of the ideas thrown around in this thread - remove FWD, Model 3/Y interior, new seats, etc - all of those changes are very visibly obvious and would be seen by hundreds of people every day on the factory floor. Or maybe someone involved in the shipping process. It would leak very quickly because all it would take is a cell phone pic to prove it's real.

Hundreds of people working there. If there was a major change like removal of FWD, Plaid, New Interior, ect... someone would have said something and there would be rumors of it all over social media. The only way it wouldn't be plastered everywhere is if there was no changes or simply minor updates. Even the Model Y SR heated steering wheel was "leaked" already and delivery isnt expected on those for another 5 weeks. If the addition of a heated steering wheel can be discovered prior to delivery, Im sure a major update to S/X would have been too.

I agree with you up to a point, but then the whole 18 days down - what was that for? Was it positioning for the future? It's a bit odd to do that without changing something production-wise immediately because odds are something is sitting idle or unused. Something substantial has to be up.

I agree with you up to a point, but then the whole 18 days down - what was that for? Was it positioning for the future? It's a bit odd to do that without changing something production-wise immediately because odds are something is sitting idle or unused. Something substantial has to be up.

Production lines going down is 100% normal and does not necessarily mean anything is changing. Sometimes the line just needs maintenance and repairs. Or maybe they streamlined some of the processes. Or they could be refreshing the vehicle design. There's no way to know, and the fact the line went down for a few weeks does not indicate anything one way or another.