Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owner of 2016 Model X 90D. Ordered a Model X last week in the hopes of a refresh. If they don't do a full Interior refresh (Way better seats with Massage, more seat adjustments, higher roof especially for 3rd row), more creature comforts worthy of a luxury car, HUD, quieter cabin etc, I wil cancel my order.

Reactions: johnking
I remember almost waiting for a refresh when I bought my X in mid-2017. Ha, ha - simpler times! But this DOES feel accurate now. I would bet the house that the refresh is announced in late-January as they finish clearing out inventory.*

I think horizontal screen, 3/Y-esque climate controls, and a rear passenger display for climate and media controls are certainties. I think plaid and 4680 cells are less certain, but possible.

Kudos to all who waited this long. Your Job-like patience may soon be rewarded!

*Bet not valid in any country anywhere.

Owner of 2016 Model X 90D. Ordered a Model X last week in the hopes of a refresh. If they don't do a full Interior refresh (Way better seats with Massage, more seat adjustments, higher roof especially for 3rd row), more creature comforts worthy of a luxury car, HUD, quieter cabin etc, I wil cancel my order.
Owner of 2018 Model S 75D. Ordered MX on 1/10 in hopes of a refresh. I’ll be happy with more range, ventilated seats (please bring them back!), better sound insulation, improved handling and more wheel options. Can’t imagine what they could do to cause me to cancel my order unless they discontinue MSM color.

There is no pressure to get the Roadster out as there is no competition. MS Plaid will allow Tesla to match/beat the Taycan and Lucid. No driver for Roadster.

Meanwhile, there is a TON of competition right around the corner for the CT (Rivian, Hummer, Ford, Atlis, etc). Tesla needs to get that model out ASAP. Roadster will be 2022.

While overall I agree from the perspective of the competition for the CyberTruck and probably the Semi as well, I think there's a number of people who plopped a rather enormous amount of cash down to reserve the Roadster. I can't see people who put the money down on a promise for a 2020 delivery would be happy to see it get delayed much more - at least if they want to keep high end clients happy.

I don't know where they'll produce the Roadster - perhaps that was part of the S/X line shutdown on top of maintenance? As much as I'm hopeful for a major revision to the X, I'm not going to hold my breath but will remain hopeful. Given that there were a number of improvements in the 2021 model year, I have trouble reconciling a major change so soon thereafter.

Everything thus far is speculative and rumors - what a wish for Tesla to make an announcement of some kind.

Why would they mess with a model that never has a sales problem. It is Tesla's icon. Mostly invisible changes, battery, heat pump, dynamic motors. Nothing revolutionary.

That's quite backwards thinking - Tesla's goal is to fully overtake the ICE segments it competes in, and currently there is room for improvement in the S/X segment, nuff said, work is not nearly done.

Reactions: Lobstahz
I think HUD disappointment is inevitable...

A leak confirmed there are subtle changes. Why would they mess with a model that never has a sales problem. It is Tesla's icon. Mostly invisible changes, battery, heat pump, dynamic motors. Nothing revolutionary.
There is no reliable information on what changes, if any, are coming for the X.

If you make statements about coming changes based on a “leak”, then back up your statements with sources and facts.

And what exactly is a “dynamic motor”?

Believe the S & X are still highly profitable to Tesla and the reason for the slower sales has more to do with the recent availablity of the much less expensive Model 3 & Y.

They are indeed remarkable vehicles with premium all Aluminum construction and the largest batteries with the greatest range available.

They have a gravitas either going down the road or even parked at the curb. They provide an amazing combination of smooth ride, powerful motors and stable handling.

Cannot see Tesla not wanting to have a presence in this marketplace.

You’re going to be cancelling your order. You’re asking for a complete redesign, especially when you get into changing dimensions or headspace. Tesla has shown no interest in providing luxury creature comforts in their cars.

Reactions: Ryshaw
You’re going to be cancelling your order. You’re asking for a complete redesign, especially when you get into changing dimensions or headspace. Tesla has shown no interest in providing luxury creature comforts in their cars.
Seats with massage made me laugh. That’s not the kind of car Tesla is trying to build.

Seats with massage made me laugh. That’s not the kind of car Tesla is trying to build.
In the grand scheme of things, "Massage" function may not be important. But, if I cannot sit comfortably in my Model X for 2 hours, I would happily go to a Audi Q7 or Lexus Hyrbid for the ultimate comfort. Trust me, I am tesla shareholder. I want tesla to succeed. But, If Tesla does not up the "comfort" factor for the seating, it's going to be in trouble. I am saying this as I had the privilege of looking at un-seen pics of Rivian R1S seating and the dimensions and the available seat adjustments. Model X seating options are non-existent. My legs still dangle at the knees by 3 inches. There is no seat extension. I could go-on.
For me, range is not the most important.370 mile range is plenty. But, I cannot compromise on the ride quality. Cabin noise is one more thing. Don't know about latest Model X cabin noise. but, my 2016 model X (AP 2, FSD) can be better. It needs to have double pane insulation and whisper quite inside.
I also don't like the idea of mimicking Model Y and 3's minimalistic design. I want plush interiors with embedded horizontal screen and HUD preferably.

Don’t understand this - if a car has massage seats, what kind of car does that make it?

Genuine question. I don’t want, nor would use massage seats, but I’m not getting it. Do you mean a car that has massage seats is a luxury car, and Tesla doesn't want to build a luxury car? Or..?

Reactions: henderrj
Don’t understand this - if a car has massage seats, what kind of car does that make it?

Genuine question. I don’t want, nor would use massage seats, but I’m not getting it. Do you mean a car that has massage seats is a luxury car, and Tesla doesn't want to build a luxury car? Or..?

a car that is so uninspired they must go for the same kind of “tricks” as mall lobbies to get sales. The sameness that is sea of “luxury sedans”, each trying to out-do each other with more buttons and more features on a checklist, while having software 20 years behind Tesla.

Do you mean a car that has massage seats is a luxury car, and Tesla doesn't want to build a luxury car?

The price tag draws comparisons to features in luxury cars inevitably. Audi, Merc, BMW all have a great ride comfort and the massage seats play a role when you need it. You might not need it for your daily drive but on a long day you have it at your disposal. Turn on the massage along with the heat towards the end of a tiring road trip you feel rejunvated for sure. Hope Tesla can improve on utility space, ride comfort in the days to come. I have an R1S reservation and hopeful that Rivian doesn't disappoint. Road noise, windshield heat, seats, smoother ride can all be areas that Tesla can improve. Do they need to do it right now is an open question and they have the right to prioritize compared to other important problem like the shudder issue, optimization, newer product launches etc. I would prefer that the shudder issue is taken care.

So, where does Tesla stand apart from the other luxury car makers ? 'Software for every part that moves'. This 'Software-first' architecture/paradigm can only be matched by a few and mostly new companies like Rivian, Lucid (based on whatever information has been released so far). The other car makers are probably working on a few projects now to switch to this paradigm. This paradigm can be done to ICE cars too but I doubt any company is working on it on their ICE platforms.

When it comes to product management, there are always 'Must have' and 'Nice to have' features. A pivot of this will be competitive advantage as well. Shudder IMHO is a 'Must solve' issue. Massage seats, Cabin noise are competitive markers that fall in the 'Nice to have' bucket.

Personally, I use AP, FSD a lot and were the primary reasons for buying a Tesla due to my freeway commute. The price tag made me compare with all the other luxury car brands. It has been 3 years with my Model S and when I recently test drove the other brands before placing my Model X order they were nowhere near Tesla in ADAS (Advance Driver Assist Systems).

Not sure if there is a refresh or not I just don't want Tesla to sacrifice safety in any way. My situation, POV - with the pandemic, there isn't a lot of driving to do. No hurry to buy a newer car and keeping an eye on how Rivian develops it's production vehicles.

Last edited: