Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla usually does do things like this before they announce something big. They like to throw hints out into the air and see if people get it.

The letter to employees in Dec saying S/X shutdown,Elon said ,"We would like you to take the opportunity to refresh or spend time with your family."

Refresh or spend time with your family. The words 'refresh or' seems out of place grammatically, unless clue to what is coming.

Last edited:

I hope we will see 4680 because
1. they have limited production 4680 and could use for a limited car line (S/X). It's new tech. Isn't it better to scale on a low run car, than start scaling into high production car like Berlin Y? If have problems, better to stop the S/X than a new factory in Germany dependent on the cells.
2. S/X battery was designed to be hot-swapped right? Tesla has a vid on web from 2013 showing 93 second battery swap. Could a 4680 pack fit into the same space without a total car redesign? Would think so even though taller cells. They are smart at Tesla.
3. Selling existing S/X demo stock, no tests drives right now? If car was the same, why would they do that?
4. Competition is coming to the S/X in Rivian and Lucid. If Tesla waits until they are out this summer THEN does an update, Tesla blew that 8 year lead and let the EV competition catch them while working on 3/Y, CT and $25k car. I know lots of priorities, only so much time/money. But a shame to blow that lead, let the S/X wither and get caught by others.
5. I REALLY want the extra bit of range to be sure I can get to our cabin in the dead of winter on a single charge. No Sc on the way. 1 destination charger on route if have to . This would make the decision to can our ICE SRX even easier to swallow. Yes, this update is all about me. :)

Apple didn't wait for Android to catch them and then move iPhone 3 forward. As a 'tech company' that the Tesla stock is priced as, Tesla needs to stay ahead. (wait, apple does like to let other try things and THEN take the best from them, but that is a separate story I don't really want to start right now).

Last edited:
I had a call from Tesla in the UK today, head office not local SC about my order I had placed in November for a March delivery. Before £5k price hike.

He said (I paraphrase):
"Just calling about your Model X order. Are you following the various rumours regarding the Model S and X production? If so you will know that we have shut down production for a short while and it's now likely that we will not be getting delivery in March, more likely April 2021, but this still is not clear nor confirmed could be later.

If you are in a rush we still have inventory models. However we are expecting the models that arrive in April to have significant changes from the current models in stock so waiting might be your best option if timing is not vital.

Whilst I don't have the details on the changes to share with you, you should take note that the price did not go up and nor did we clear out inventory stock for the drivetrain/battery Raven upgrades. Whilst we might see changes in those elements, we are expecting the changes to be more impactful in terms of the overall vehicle."

Now clearly this was a call to try and move me on to an inventory car, but the guy was pretty straight up in terms of only do that if time is an issue as we don't know when production will re-start and what you have ordered will be better than those.

Make of that what you will and don't shoot the messenger.

PS only 4 Model X in inventory in UK

Last edited:
I hope we will see 4680 because
1. they have limited production 4680 and could use for a limited car line (S/X)
2. Selling existing S/X demo stock, no tests drives right now? If car was the same, why would they do that?
3. Competition is coming to the S/X in Rivian and Lucid. If Tesla waits until they are out this summer THEN does an update, Tesla blew that 8 year lead and let the EV competition catch them while working on 3/Y, CT and $25k car. I know lots of priorities, only so much time/money. But a shame to blow that lead, let the S/X wither and get caught by others.
4. I REALLY want the extra bit of range to be sure I can get to our cabin in the dead of winter on a single charge. No Sc on the way. 1 destination charger on route if have to . This would make the decision to can our ICE SRX even easier to swallow.

Apple didn't wait for Android to catch them and then move iPhone 3 forward. As a 'tech company' that the Tesla stock is priced as, Tesla needs to stay ahead. (wait, apple does like to let other try things and THEN take the best from them, but that is a separate story I don't really want to start right now).
Just need enough of a range increase to justify getting the performance model!

Last edited:
Reactions: MattMac
Whilst I don't have the details on the changes to share with you, you should take note that the price did not go up and nor did we clear out inventory stock for the drivetrain/battery Raven upgrades. Whilst we might see changes in those elements, we are expecting the changes to be more impactful in terms of the overall vehicle."

But the price did go up by £5k. Is he referring to the price relating to your order?

But the price did go up by £5k. Is he referring to the price relating to your order?

His point was the price did not go up when they launched Raven. It has gone up now in general and that I should infer more than battery/drivetrain/efficiency updates as a result.

I really don't know what he knows, more than to clear out the inventory stock, but strange to start the conversation with the comment about 'have you been following the rumours' rather than just, you won't get your car until April, if you need it sooner we have 4 in stock.

My order has not gone up in price as it was paid ahead of the price hike and I reserved a March delivery, not a December one at the time. I got lucky.

I wonder what the advisor meant by, "...nor did we clear out inventory stock for the drivetrain/battery Raven upgrades."

Despite the earlier reference to "significant changes", the statement above suggests the motors and battery are carryover???

Not sure. You could read it as "it would be more than just range/efficiency" or read it as "it's instead of as range, as that doesn't get a price hike" . My take is Elon stated larger range is coming for MS and MX a few months back, so I'd be surprised if it didn't include that, so understood it as far wider reaching and including performance/efficiency.

I could just be using the conversation to back up my own bias though. Guess we will find out soon enough.

Based on rumors, we can definitevely conclude that battery and drive train enhancements are coming. I don't know if these enhancents will include 4680 cells.. If Plaid Model S has has 520 range, we will get 460 to 480 miles range on model X.
480 miles on the X is super awesome!!!
I really wish there will be very good interior enhancements (vastly better seats, quieter cabin, plusher interior) etc..
Super stoked for the update!
PS: I dont think there will be a plaid version of Model X. Just the added range only for Model X.

Last edited:
Can someone explain this...

I put a reservation for a Model X in December. I flip flopped on some features (mainly seating) before I settled on what I wanted.

When I go back and look at my different order agreements, the price went down $10k on my last change. See the following:

upload_2021-1-18_21-22-7.png

Which I then changed to...

upload_2021-1-18_21-22-48.png

Why did the base price drop on 1/10? Today the price for a performance is $99,900 just like 1/3.

Luckily I haven't flipped again so I am keeping the cheaper 1/10 build.

• Informative
Reactions: VikH and JBT66

I put a reservation for a Model X in December. I flip flopped on some features (mainly seating) before I settled on what I wanted.

When I go back and look at my different order agreements, the price went down $10k on my last change. See the following:

View attachment 628724

View attachment 628725

Why did the base price drop on 1/10? Today the price for a performance is $99,900 just like 1/3.

Is there maybe a new state incentive? Only thing I can think of!

View attachment 628724

View attachment 628725

damnit... i just went to the site hoping to grab one at $89k and it did go back up. don't change your order again

Whoa. Just read a rumor that part of the price hike is that the flagship cars like S and X will now have FSD standard. At least that would eliminate all the confusion about FSD remaining with the car or the owner.
In regions where they already adjusted (read: increased) the price, FSD is still an option you got to pay extra. So there, evidence: Price raise without FSD including.

Are you speaking of additional price increases, coming/expected?

Probably misinterpreting that the equipment comes standard. From what I was hearing/reading, it is possibly going to a subscription based 'option' (feature?).

Edit: Hmmm.. You know, thinking about it now. I hope this is not how they are planning to make the S and X appear more 'high end'. Like 'oooh it comes with FSD'.... Please give it some real features and creature comforts over the 3 and Y Tesla!