Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can always borrow someone else's phone or use a public phone to call your wife to unlock the car for you.

Worst case is to go buy a new phone and you are back to normal.

Of course. I'm not the "OMG now what do I do?!?" sort; I'd figure it out. Most likely stop in the United Club and borrow a phone... not my first rodeo. Would have to do some mental logistics though for the unlock - once it's unlocked and set to drive, you have 2 minutes. So from the United Club, I'd have her wait 10 minutes to give me time to get out to the garage, etc.

Just saying, it's do-able, but still a PITA. And waking her up at 1am is not preferable. Much easier to have a keycard in my wallet - that I'm carrying anyway - as a backup.

Not sure where I'd buy a phone at 1am in Newark NJ. Or, well, actually, I *do* know where, and it's nowhere I'd want to be.

• Funny
Reactions: 4SUPER9
That really isn't true. If you go into the iPhone settings for the app you will see it connects via bluetooth and local network in addition to cell service. I can turn cellular data off on my phone and it has no problem connecting via bluetooth or the wi-fi network created by my personal hotspot.
It is absolutely true. You don't have to be connected to the internet for the key to work but you do have to be logged in.

Open the app and click the sign out button. Now try to use phone as key - it won't work. And there's no way to log back in without the internet.

It wouldn't be a problem but the app periodically (few times a year) logs you out automatically. If it auto logs you out at the wrong time (you're in a location with no cell service) you could get stuck.

It is absolutely true. You don't have to be connected to the internet for the key to work but you do have to be logged in.

Open the app and click the sign out button. Now try to use phone as key - it won't work. And there's no way to log back in without the internet.

It wouldn't be a problem but the app periodically (few times a year) logs you out automatically. If it auto logs you out at the wrong time (you're in a location with no cell service) you could get stuck.

I don't use the phone as a key and am not aware that is a function for the MX. I use commands I've set up on the phone or the watch which do not require me to be logged into anything. In fact, if I use the app to enable keyless driving instead, it makes me log in, but not if I use the commands I've set up. I do this every day.

I don't believe (and hope I am proven wrong!) that the current Model X uses bluetooth to connect the phone as a key (though i am aware the Model Y does). I have twice been stranded while I assume the Tesla Network was temporarily down, and could not start my car for 15 - 30 minutes (until the network came back up).

Both instances were in poor cell coverage areas, and both times the apps (Tesla, Tesla Remote and Remote for Apple Watch) on the iPhone and apple watch cold not connect to my X, though I was standing in front of it.

Both times, after a time period (15 minutes once, 30 minutes the next), the apps were able to connect, and I was able to unlock, keyless start, etc.

I assume in these instances, if bluetooth were able to be used, i would not have had the issues.

I don't use the phone as a key and am not aware that is a function for the MX. I use commands I've set up on the phone or the watch which do not require me to be logged into anything. In fact, if I use the app to enable keyless driving instead, it makes me log in, but not if I use the commands I've set up. I do this every day.

That’s fine, but if your token becomes invalid for whatever reason, you’d need to re-login.

and if your devices can’t reach a network, they won’t be able to talk to the X, either.

Whether you use the app or the API, that mechanism is still routed via Tesla’s servers - requires network connectivity. And that’s the point - any piece of that stops working, the car won’t unlock for you.

I wouldn’t want to misquote the sales rep, but I confessed to being a Tesla fanboy and that I put $100 down after reading rumors of a refresh and wanted to trade up my 2020 Raven. I came away from the conversation with the impression that (1) we would have more to discuss after Wednesday and (2) the sales rep was even more excited than me.

I wouldn’t want to misquote the sales rep, but I confessed to being a Tesla fanboy and that I put $100 down after reading rumors of a refresh and wanted to trade up my 2020 Raven. I came away from the conversation with the impression that (1) we would have more to discuss after Wednesday and (2) the sales rep was even more excited than me.
You just made me put a deposit down.. Thanks :)