Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if they are using the 4680 cells, but reduced the number because of the limited supply? It seems odd that they'd redesign the battery pack without changing the cells. It'll be interesting to hear what they announce on the earnings call tonight.

I'm not a huge fan of the steering wheel, but it's not a deal breaker by any means. Overall, I really like this update. The only thing I don't particularly like is the range. I was really hoping for 400+ range.

Interesting update, would like to test drive before making up my mind on the stalkless wheel and if there were any improvements to the 2nd and 3rd row seats. Would like to know if the lights were updated, also is bioweapon defense mode gone? Also why not have every row get vented seats? Will there be dual pane glass? Has charging speed increased? Also surprised there is no plaid+ version for model x with greater range, seems like a strange oversight.

My priorities, in order, for any EV are:

1) Range
2) Ride comfort
3) Controls / handling
4) Interior features

So...

#1 is objectively worse
#2 is unknown, maybe there will be some additional soundproofing? That would be nice.
#3 is worse IMO, the more I think about it the more I don't like that steering wheel and lack of stalks
#4 is slightly better imo, I like the extra screen and additional HVAC and speakers. Would have loved to have seen arm rests on the middle row.

Overall a negative update for me, consider #1 and #3 are worse, #2 is unknown, and #4 is only slightly improved. Maybe my mind will change once I see videos of the update in action, but for now I'm not optimistic.

My priorities, in order, for any EV are:

1) Range
2) Ride comfort
3) Controls / handling
4) Interior features

So...

#1 is objectively worse
#2 is unknown, maybe there will be some additional soundproofing? That would be nice.
#3 is worse IMO, the more I think about it the more I don't like that steering wheel and lack of stalks
#4 is slightly better imo, I like the extra screen and additional HVAC and speakers. Would have loved to have seen arm rests on the middle row.

Overall a negative update for me, consider #1 and #3 are worse, #2 is unknown, and #4 is only slightly improved. Maybe my mind will change once I see videos of the update in action, but for now I'm not optimistic.

While estimated range may be slightly worse, actual might be better, especially in winter, because of the heat pump.

I want to see the manual so can read how to operate without any stalks.

Look at the zoom in of the wheel:

screenshot_20210127-173834_firefox-jpg.631313

The AP button(s) are probably on the right side.

It looks like the right side has microphone, wipers, and AP???

Wheel Right.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lobstahz
Here's a better view of the steering wheel. It'll be interesting to see how those buttons work. It seems like there could be a lot of accidental presses. I'm not a huge fan of the steering wheel shape, but I guess Tesla is really leaning into the FSD. If you aren't actually driving the car, then the shape of the steering wheel doesn't matter.

upload_2021-1-27_17-49-23.png

Imagine trying to do a 3 or 5 point turn and having to manually change the gears on the touch screen each time. Or parallel parking. No thanks.

and then imagine trying that same maneuver 5 years from now when the touch screen has been slowed by updates and memory within it worn out by excessive logging. wha, too soon?

Honestly, mostly disappointed in the range reduction and next by the steering...thing. Ventilated seats coming back is welcomed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Elon starts tweeting in future months, oh you are now getting more range with update.
Like others, suspect there is more to this update than meets the eye. Why does the skateboard look different?
Are we getting faster charging?

That’s actually true! Wouldn’t be surprised if they come out after few months with around 380ish range..like what they did on the Y. Very technological SUV now...But a little disengage with the driver TBH. As a driver I still want to feel that I’m in control if you know what I mean.