Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably similar to how it works today. Double-tap key fob, so likely a button in the app. Auto-presenting is Driver door only based on bluetooth triangulation.
Tesla is clearly saying that the front passenger door now passively opens, that it is not just able to be electronically activated.
E16FFFE0-2B6E-4E32-BA74-38165493CB54.jpeg

Reactions: Jlindo
Same, I'd like to continue to give Tesla my money, but the number of compromises I currently make and would have to make on an X is too much. I have other things I don't enjoy about the X, but being the only 3 row BEV on the market, I keep coming back to give it another look. I was really hoping they were going to "fix" the things I didn't like and move in a more conventional direction. They clearly are moving in the opposite direction of my preferences and as a long time supporter and investor it's disappointing.

Depending on how much room you need on that 3rd row, the Model Y now offers a 3rd row option

Depending on how much room you need on that 3rd row, the Model Y now offers a 3rd row option
You're correct, the 7 seat Y is now offered, I was originally waiting on that release but and started following the X refresh in hopes that it would work. The 7 seat Y won't work in my situation, as I need to use this car for long trips and haul 5 people and their stuff. I was hoping I could squeak by with a 7 seat Y and that Tesla would pull a rabbit out of their hat with the 7 seat. To their credit they've made the most of the space available, but they're ultimately still constrained by the Y only being 187" long, which is very short for a 3 row in the US. I was hoping to use a tow hitch cargo box to expand my storage, but the model Y's load rating/max payload is not high enough for what I'll be moving around. Great thread on that breakdown - 18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

I just got my model x half a year ago.

My first impression seeing the interior update was:
- Wow, damn, that's a big revamp, looks sleek, did I make a mistake not waiting a bit more

After couple of minutes more looking at it:
- Ok, so all they did was just replacing the vertical screen to horizontal like model 3/y, changed air vents to model 3/y, and changed steering wheel.
- Steering wheel looks like a pain to drive with
- Horizontal screen only great for watching video while charging at supercharger, which I do like twice a year
- Good choice not waiting for this

It seems like Elon never heard the term "don't reinvent the wheel" ;)

I can't believe they are still using 1860 battery size, they couldn't even change it to 2170? Anyone know if this can fully utilize V3 SC?

Even the prior Model S/X could support the full 250kW. But with the new module/pack/thermo-management they say that it can charge even faster. (So I assume it can keep the 250kW longer.)

Long Range and Plaid platforms unite powertrain and battery technologies for unrivaled performance, range and efficiency. New module and pack thermal architecture allows faster charging and gives you more power and endurance in all conditions.

I was worried the FOMO on the refresh would kill me as a '18 P100DL owner. Maybe it's just bias but the key areas that would compel me to upgrade just aren't there. I am happy to wait the 1 to 100 more years for FSD maturity and regulators making autonomous driving legal. They clearly are designing around FSD with you sitting passively watching Netflix or playing video games. I don't have kids yet and rarely have rear passengers so the third screen is going to be useless 99% of the time for me. The futuristic aesthetic is alright but not amazing. I could get used to the yoke but I think I will wait for the CT to make that leap. I'd be jealous of 500+ mi. range or some new capabilities but for now I am thrilled that I'm not going to lose any sleep over this refresh :D.

Curious to know if Model X will get Plaid+ battery and range increase. Also wondering if headlights got upgraded. Pictures show venting for 2nd row but it's not advertised, were there any other changes to seats? Also fog lights have disappeared as well as any mention of bioweapon defense mode which just came to the Y. Also hope it got dual pane glass like the 3/Y.

Reactions: JupiterMan and DIL