Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots NOT to like here.

-Loss 11 miles, WTF (like 'Plane, Trains and Automobile' scene, 'You're going the wrong way"
-That STEERING 'Wheel' REALY! WFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- $10,000 price increase
-Loss of all stalks so HAVE to spend more time with eye off road to use the screen and do simple things (wipers speed, enable cruise, adjust speed,
-Relearn how to turn on turn signals with button push, WTF.
-But hey the 'wheel' is so bad, we are distracted from the Horizontal screen as that is minor compared to the rest of this.

At least the 'wheel' can be fixed by an after market bolt on top 1/2. Shouldn't take too long and attach from back side, could be done right.

The range and loss of stalks, not good. Stock down, so market not thinking so either?

P.S. Do like active active noise cancel and new sound system. Stereo in test drive 2021 was not that good sounding. OK at best, missing real bass and clarity.

I think with S gaining 10 miles, and X losing 11, something is up with the pack in the Long Range models, fewer cells or something, and X doesn't punch through the air as efficiently as S, meaning the weight loss from losing some cells is not overcome by the loss in overall capacity on X? Will be interesting to see what the "real" capacity of the pack ends up being on the various new trim levels. LR+ may end up being the biggest/heaviest (dimensionally) pack they ever make

R3Q1sRL.png

So says the salesman. I'm still looking for more info since if they place it the buttons way down by the hazard button, it's awkward and out of the way - think parking maneuvers. Any possibility it's one of the scroll wheel functions or something else? I can't see the car being intuitive enough for something done on the fly.

The range reduction is likely related to the faster 0-60 and higher power (670 hp v 550). Less efficient motors?
That could very well be the reason, but still I can’t believe people are upset for losing 11-mile rated range, which is like 7-mile real world range. With the support of 250kw SC, I don’t think anyone would be okay with 371-mile raven but being stranded on the side of the road with the new 360-mile refreshed model.
Also don’t forget that Tesla could still improve the range gradually, just like the Raven range increases we have seen(without hardware update). Plus, they listed 360 as estimated, probably means they haven’t received official EPA rating yet and choose to be conservative.

Reactions: ThortsMD and JBT66
Not sure if this matters, but I haven’t seen anyone else pick up on this yet. I had an order ready to go up until yesterday morning to potentially lock in the savings, but didn’t end up pulling the trigger. I did however leave the page open and compared the old page to the new, and noticed that the new range just says “est.”, whereby the old range says “EPA est.”. My guess here is that they’ve not yet had it officially rated, and so we will likely see changes in the near term on the range front. My hope is that (as in the past) we will see a significant range bump in the coming months both officially, and via future software updates. I’m also expecting Elon to outline as much via more of a spectacle announcement over the next couple weeks.... We shall see. Either way, I want to see closer to 400 miles of range on the LR before I pull the trigger.

Attachments

• B40E7F73-FBB4-4147-B669-7CAF2B8A2E98.jpeg
    B40E7F73-FBB4-4147-B669-7CAF2B8A2E98.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 67
  • AAE37881-5A48-40E6-9092-647BD790DEC9.jpeg
    AAE37881-5A48-40E6-9092-647BD790DEC9.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 48
So says the salesman. I'm still looking for more info since if they place it the buttons way down by the hazard button, it's awkward and out of the way - think parking maneuvers. Any possibility it's one of the scroll wheel functions or something else? I can't see the car being intuitive enough for something done on the fly.
I hypothesized last night that maybe the center spoke was a button or even touchpad that could be used to change gears.

Just got this text:
"Hi this is Charles with Tesla, I am reaching out in regards to your previous order of the Model S or X...blah blah blah [$2k off]...upgrade to the new configuration before February 28th, 2021."
When did you order? I ordered December 7 and no text yet. Expecting one any minute though.

Of note- my delivery date (long range X) was Feb 15- March 15 until yesterday and now it gives no date. Elon said that the Plaid S is in production now and that the X will be a bit later. If the plaid X comes before the long range X I am thinking it may not be until late spring before I get mine.

When did you order? I ordered December 7 and no text yet. Expecting one any minute though.

Of note- my delivery date (long range X) was Feb 15- March 15 until yesterday and now it gives no date. Elon said that the Plaid S is in production now and that the X will be a bit later. If the plaid X comes before the long range X I am thinking it may not be until late spring before I get mine.

I ordered January 25th.

Very hard pass on the car guessing which direction I want to drive. That is not something I want to leave up to software. Especially considering how well summon and autopark work....

It literally takes less than half a second to select the gears right now, and it's very intuitive and tactile. I'm not sure why they feel the need to remove a step that is very unobtrusive and intuitive, and replace it with something that is unintuitive and a hassle to change if needed.

Very hard pass on the car guessing which direction I want to drive. That is not something I want to leave up to software. Especially considering how well summon and autopark work....

It literally takes less than half a second to select the gears right now, and it's very intuitive and tactile. I'm not sure why they feel the need to remove a step that is very unobtrusive and intuitive, and replace it with something that is unintuitive and a hassle to change if needed.

right? didn't they JUST clear their name on the unintended acceleration claims?

Well, they reduce the 0-60 time from above 3, to 2, to sub 2, to 1 one day... now an engineer figured out, to get the 0-60 times BELOW zero, you got to get a negative acceleration. So the "car guessing the wrong direction" was born as a "feature"...

Makes for these hilarious moments on the drag strip, when the Plaid + jumps backwards, back round the world, to reach the finish line first...
"Sorry, my car mis-guessed the gear, I'll give you a chance next time ;)"

When the Model S first came out in 2012, it did bust many “legacy automobile ergonomics” such as no-start-button, touchscreen-for-most-functionality, walk-away-lock, etc. Those were arguably revolutionary changes for the better. Then the X came out in 2016 with the auto-presenting doors and electrical FWD which were a departure from the norm, but a lot of reviewers said those doors were too futuristic but just not smart enough sometimes, but many people chose to live with it despite the quirks. Then the 3 came out with more changes like burying the wiper controls.

With the latest steering yoke and no stalks for turn signals or gear shifts, it seems like Tesla ran out of things to change and are just throwing “potential revolutionary changes” at the wall to see what sticks and hope at least something sticks...

Steering yoke could be futuristic - airplanes use yokes to steer in the air - but... airplanes also have a small wheel that the captain uses to turn/steer the plane when on the ground. Why? Because ergonomics and usability dictated... sometimes change is good, but random changes which you hope might be good are usually not, especially not when operating 2-3 ton heavy machinery at high speeds.

People need to have a little Faith in Tesla. They have a pretty good track record of introducing successful changes into traditional vehicle design.

In the beginning, it is normal for most to react negatively to any change from the familiar. It is uncomfortable for many to embrace the change.

Until we get some hands on reports of how the new steering works, I imagine many will recoil, but in the end I believe this new wheel will become very normal.

The steering wheel doesn’t bother me.

My guess is the range loss is isn’t real and the previous X should have never posted that to begin with.

My main issue is that my config that I wanted is now 11K more with any OMG I need that feature. Don’t get me wrong I like the ventilated seats but not that cost difference.

Reactions: Nicebag and jb401
Tesla is clearly saying that the front passenger door now passively opens, that it is not just able to be electronically activated.
Connecting multiple mobile devices is new and may allow the passenger’s phone to control their door. Just conjecture.
Currently the fob provides a way to remotely open the passenger door but the sequence of events has to be just right.

Per Elon: “No more stalks. Car guesses drive direction based on what obstacles it sees, context & nav map. You can override on touchscreen.”
“After you drive without using a PRND stalk/stick for a few days, it gets very annoying to go back & use a shifter!”
I trust that Elon is not an idiot. If he tried it out and it works for him, at least I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and will go test drive it.