Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something bugs me about this "AI-powered" hype train that is so pervasive in tech right now. I don't think users care at all whether or not something is using a neural net. Is it effective? Is it reliable? Inconsistent behavior is bad UX. Just their example of that it will see a garage wall and know to shift into reverse seems arrogant given their history. I still have to override the intelligent auto-wipers when regular intermittent settings would have been fine. I can definitely see the automatic PRND getting confused in certain scenarios forcing you to use the screen or whatever alternative is available.

Per Elon: “No more stalks. Car guesses drive direction based on what obstacles it sees, context & nav map. You can override on touchscreen.”
“After you drive without using a PRND stalk/stick for a few days, it gets very annoying to go back & use a shifter!”
I trust that Elon is not an idiot. If he tried it out and it works for him, at least I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and will go test drive it.

Elon has a habit of over-engineering things that don't need fixing. See the the rain sensors as a prime example. Why spend all that effort to create a vision-based rain sensor (that doesn't work super well) when a cheap, universally-available component already exists? Or the overly-complicated model S door handles that get frozen shut in a snow storm. Not everything Tesla does is gold.

I feel like a lot of the negative feelings here will flip once test drives start rolling out. I feel Tesla is sandbagging a little to not hurt recent buyers.

That being said.. anyone want my reservation? I'm waiting on the CT..

Reactions: byeLT4
Got my email asking for $8k to not change my configiration or they would seek out a matching pre-refresh car. If there were such a car wouldn’t I have a VIN already? Unless shennanigans like all those cars dissapearing from showrooms were not sold but sequestered.

Would you feel better about paying $8k more if you also got free unlimited Supercharging? I know FUS is not worth $8k but is is a feature owners seem to value highly. Make some noise if you agree
https://twitter.com/Gwgans/status/1354847379275571203

I have a feeling these will be a pretty huge step ahead dynamically even in Long Range form, I mean, an extra 200hp and 200lbs of weight loss never made anything slower or handle worse. I expect the reviews to go something like this:

Dynamics: WOW
Interior: WEIRD
Verdict: sure, I guess, but, can I have a sunshade?

Last edited:
The steering wheel doesn’t bother me.

My guess is the range loss is isn’t real and the previous X should have never posted that to begin with.

My main issue is that my config that I wanted is now 11K more with any OMG I need that feature. Don’t get me wrong I like the ventilated seats but not that cost difference.
I'm getting pretty close to rated consumption even in cold weather on my '21 X LR+, but, I agree, they should have just left the "rating" alone and improved "area under the curve" so that people started to be pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed more often than not - so I wonder if they're de-rating a bit to conform more closely to other companies' tactics of under-promising a bit and then delivering even in crappy conditions, which is the much smarter long-term play IMO. The 400-mile Model S was attention-grabbing for a while, right up until it was "meh" when Lucid debuted and a few real-world tests of the bigger-battery, 19"-wheel equipped Taycan started to show its' mostly a paper difference. And Lucid isn't going to be vaporware. Tesla has a lot of work to do building trust with people and if I were them, that's where I'd be headed with this update. FSD - *yes* and it *works* in certain pre-defined conditions. Range - *yes*, even on the highway. Charging speed - *yes* for a much larger fraction of time, not just for 10 minutes of a 30 minute supercharger stop. People's expectations are climbing almost as fast as the stock, and the competition is coming in hot. BMW does not appear to be screwing around, for instance, and has a lot of former owners in Teslas now, who may remember how nice it was that everything on their cars just *worked* and they didn't have to RTFM to change gears...

Last edited:
Reactions: Lobstahz
I have a feeling these will be a pretty huge step ahead dynamically even in Long Range form, I mean, an extra 200hp and 200lbs of weight loss never made anything slower or handle worse. I expect the reviews to go something like this:

And that’s without the Plaid tri-motor torque vectoring in the rear. Plaid could be a huge differentiator in the handling department and not just straight-line performance.

The three-motor setup will completely negate the handling downsides of the porky S/X compared to their competition IMO. Whether they're willing to put a seriously nasty wheel/tire setup under them to help cope with the capability, well, I guess we'll see. Didn't see anything about the brakes in this release either, but I'm sure Tesla thinks that's for future you to worry about, present you wants to smash the long pedal heh. I'm not really sure how well a car needs to handle when as long as the wheel is pointed straight the accelerator is basically a teleportation device, but brakes are gonna be important no matter what

I do wonder, though, how much control authority the torque vectoring will really have with the two motors on the rear axle. NSX uses two up front to get the nose in effectively, and it weighs a lot less. - S is going to need a lot more help in that department, especially arriving at the corner as quickly as it will be arriving, some 10-20mph faster at the end of any given straightaway...

But, maybe yuo can get most of that benefit out of dragging the inside front brakes from turn-in to mid-corner the way a lot of Track Day Hero stablity control systems (including Track Mode, sometimes) do. Which brings me back toooooo what about the front brakes? They're going to need their own water cooling circuit to do more than a lap or two (or a canyon or two) at full send.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DIL

I think it would make more sense to have the yoke be an option for plaid vehicles, since the people buying plaid care about performance. But for me, 90% of my driving is through city streets and trafficked freeways. A yoke without stalks does not add any benefit in those situations, and arguably makes them worse.

I think it would make more sense to have the yoke be an option for plaid vehicles, since the people buying plaid care about performance. But for me, 90% of my driving is through city streets and trafficked freeways. A yoke without stalks does not add any benefit in those situations, and arguably makes them worse.

You might be right and I had the same reaction. But history says we (consumers) are relative luddites and Elon/Steve Jobs are correct about UX. People really questioned a keyless phone when the iPhone launched, but here we are. Same with most of Tesla's innovations - shoot, just look at how they've revolutionized the cabin! I can never go back to a BMW, it's a mess of useless buttons in there!

My money is on Tesla being right about this stuff and the experience gap widening between Tesla and other Auto Manufacturers.

Elon has a habit of over-engineering things that don't need fixing. See the the rain sensors as a prime example. Why spend all that effort to create a vision-based rain sensor (that doesn't work super well) when a cheap, universally-available component already exists? Or the overly-complicated model S door handles that get frozen shut in a snow storm. Not everything Tesla does is gold.
Fair points but the door handle likely worked flawlessly for Elon in California, and the rain sensor did get (software) improvement last year which means he know it got issues. I am sure if the door freezes on Elon he wouldn’t have raved it on Twitter.

My point remains that since gear selection is such a fundamental part of driving, he probably got a point when he says “it works”. Otherwise he wouldn’t praise it. We shall see.

Reactions: jb401
I was seriously considering an X for my next car, with one of the sticking points being less range. This kills it for me. With the drop in range, I am going to stick with an S.
This seems so strange. Without having to read multiple pages of this thread since yesterday, does anyone have a theory as to why range would go down, when it went up a bit with the S?

Reactions: skitown
Does anyone know if there are foglights in the new styling? Speaking specifically about the vertical lights in the previous model.

Attachments

• X-1.png
    X-1.png
    370.7 KB · Views: 73
I was seriously considering an X for my next car, with one of the sticking points being less range. This kills it for me. With the drop in range, I am going to stick with an S.
This seems so strange. Without having to read multiple pages of this thread since yesterday, does anyone have a theory as to why range would go down, when it went up a bit with the S?
The 360mi range is estimated instead of EPA estimated as shown on other models. It means it will be updated later and show a higher range. With improved cell chemistry, I bet we will be a new range of 375 mi or more which makes this complaint moot.
I think Elon and Tesla are sandbagging us like they have done so recently on many things. Under promise and over delivery or just set lower expectation to fool the competitors.