Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are my likes and dislikes.

1. Interior refresh (my 2020 LR+ Feels 5 years older now)
- dashboard is modern and clean
- widescreen display much better for gaming and videos, easier to use than stretching my hand high or low
2. More power! I love the 3.8 sec 0-60, my 4.4 sec is the same as model Y which is embarrassing
3. Phone as key
4. Improved motors, battery pack and electronics
5. Noise canceling speakers makes for quieter cabin

dislike
1. Price is $10k more than I paid
2. Chrome delete isn’t special anymore
3. FWD still there means no full glass roof, passengers feel entombed still compared to 3 or Y or S
4. New fog lamps are the same as 3/Y
5. Still has an ugly rear

I'm a fan of the updated interior. Not completely sold on the steering yoke thing, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

I was kind of hoping they were going to get rid of the Falcon Wing doors. They're cool and all, but I would prefer to have the extra head room of a glass roof in the center plus have the ability to use a roof rack. Oh well, I guess that's a much bigger design change to make.

What if (and hear me out), TSportLine sells an aftermarket steering wheel that's not a yoke? If management spends any time on TMC whatsoever they'll know that people hate the yoke and they'll be able to get away with charging a decent amount for a regular wheel.

This new update is perfect me if:

1) I can get a normal, non-yoke steering wheel (preferably from Tesla, but aftermarket works too)
2) you can disable the idiotic feature of automatic gear selection
3) the 6-seat configuration still comes with more comfortable seats

To all those moaning about the price increase on an updated model, please remember that Tesla dropped prices significantly several times last year in order to boost sales on outdated models that were well rumored to be updated. So if anything, aren't these just restoring price levels from past, mostly very recent, discounts?

From Car and Driver on price cuts to S, X, and 3:
Tesla Lowers Model S Price Further Despite Price Cuts Last Summer

These refreshes bring updated seating with cooling functions, more efficient hvac, wireless phone/card entry and controls, updated battery packs (with probably longer periods of peak charge rates due to improved cooling), updated motors, better audio, better/faster mcu, lighter weight, wheels, etc.

As for the loss of control stocks, just watch some of Sandy Munro's recent video's to get an idea of cost savings there to improve margins for the business and decrease complexity. Didn't the old interior have like 3 or 4 control stocks? Bought from Mercedes? The two control wheels, the hazard lights, windows, and door switches now appear to be the only physical buttons in the whole car...

Reactions: DIL
What if (and hear me out), TSportLine sells an aftermarket steering wheel that's not a yoke? If management spends any time on TMC whatsoever they'll know that people hate the yoke and they'll be able to get away with charging a decent amount for a regular wheel.

This new update is perfect me if:

1) I can get a normal, non-yoke steering wheel (preferably from Tesla, but aftermarket works too)
2) you can disable the idiotic feature of automatic gear selection
3) the 6-seat configuration still comes with more comfortable seats

Call me crazy, but it seems reasonable that before condemning the yoke as a horrible solution, it would make sense to try it out at least.

Generally Tesla has a pretty good record of getting things right in the UI dept., imho.

To all those moaning about the price increase on an updated model, please remember that Tesla dropped prices significantly several times last year in order to boost sales on outdated models that were well rumored to be updated. So if anything, aren't these just restoring price levels from past, mostly very recent, discounts?

These refreshes bring updated seating with cooling functions, more efficient hvac, wireless phone/card entry and controls, updated battery packs (with probably longer periods of peak charge rates due to improved cooling), updated motors, better audio, better/faster mcu, lighter weight, wheels, etc.

As for the loss of control stocks, just watch some of Sandy Munro's recent video's to get an idea of cost savings there to improve margins for the business and decrease complexity. Didn't the old interior have like 3 or 4 control stocks? Bought from Mercedes? The two control wheels, the hazard lights, windows, and door switches now appear to be the only physical buttons in the whole car...

I paid a HECK of a lot more for my 2018 Model X 100D...

Reactions: byeLT4 and DCGOO
Call me crazy, but it seems reasonable that before condemning the yoke as a horrible solution, it would make sense to try it out at least.

Generally Tesla has a pretty good record of getting things right in the UI dept., imho.

I'd tend to agree on your statement applied to 99% of Tesla innovations, but I like sliding my hands across the wheel when steering. The yoke makes that impossible given that it's not even D-shaped.

Reactions: cusetownusa

Perhaps part of the problem with the increased price is the minimal improvements - if at all. I would not be surprised if the revised model actually will costs less to build then the older version and if not it will be close.

Perhaps part of the problem with the increased price is the minimal improvements - if at all. I would not be surprised if the revised model actually will costs less to build then the older version and if not it will be close.

Apart from the minimal improvements?!

- all New drivetrain/motors

- all new hvac

- all new interior

- all new battery/thermal management/charging

- all new wheels and tires

- new front and rear body panels.

Apart from the suspension, frame, most of the other body panels, doors, and maybe the lights, this is a totally different, totally redesigned car! And all of these things I just listed that appear to be carried over, they could all have been tweaked as well.

If it costs less to build and the margins are better, then that helps to make up for what like 90% of the companies history that it was not profitable. The restored price will also help to cover the r&d costs of improving what like 75% of the cars components that I just listed were changed.