Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apart from the minimal improvements?!

- all New drivetrain/motors

- all new hvac

- all new interior

- all new battery/thermal management/charging

- all new wheels and tires

- new front and rear body panels.

Apart from the suspension, frame, most of the other body panels, doors, and maybe the lights, this is a totally different, totally redesigned car! And all of these things I just listed that appear to be carried over, they could all have been tweaked as well.

If it costs less to build and the margins are better, then that helps to make up for what like 90% of the companies history that it was not profitable. The restored price will also help to cover the r&d costs of improving what like 75% of the cars components that I just listed were changed.

Because something is "new" does not mean it is more expensive. Tesla literally has down to the penny what each of those "new" items costs AND down to the penny what the "old" items costs. Apparently some of the "all new drivetrain/motors" came from the 3/Y - probably less expensive. The heat pump heater - may be less expensive. The dash looks simpler - probably less expensive. Obviously the nicer stereo and the 3rd screen costs extra. But it also appears they tried to make it easier to manufacturer so man hours to build may go down. I would be surprised if total parts costs went up by a thousand dollars.

• Disagree
Reactions: LargeHamCollider
Do you guys see/read anything in the refresh that addresses acceleration shudder? Also hope they did something with the front control arms.

I don’t think the lawyers would let them put “fixes the front end shudder that exists in every single Model X we’ve built to date” on the marketing slides.

And, until these new vehicles ship, they’re nothing more than marketing slides anyway. None of “us” have seen one in person, let alone driven one.

Reactions: 5JMJ and blitzpa
Because something is "new" does not mean it is more expensive. .

That’s exactly what it means. The price of the X dropped twice recently was because Tesla needed to get rid of vehicles. Everyone suspected that an update with imminent, and Tesla had to move out vehicles sitting on lots that would suddenly become dramatically devalued once the update was announced. It’s not that the updated vehicles cost “so much more” compared to the old-style ones. The dramatic price drop at the end of the year was simply Tesla’s version of a “model year blowout” for people who wanted to get a bargain Tesla. Obviously the price shouldn’t remain that low for new models.

That’s exactly what it means. The price of the X dropped twice recently was because Tesla needed to get rid of vehicles. Everyone suspected that an update with imminent, and Tesla had to move out vehicles sitting on lots that would suddenly become dramatically devalued once the update was announced. It’s not that the updated vehicles cost “so much more” compared to the old-style ones. The dramatic price drop at the end of the year was simply Tesla’s version of a “model year blowout” for people who wanted to get a bargain Tesla. Obviously the price shouldn’t remain that low for new models.

The question is whether or not the additional features are worth the perceived $10k price increase. It seems like for most in this thread they are not. We will see what the general public feels in the coming months as these start to get delivered.

Reactions: msm859
No different than countless other mid cycle refreshes other manufacturers have done. Significant, but it’s not a new car.

And the higher price only helps if people buy it. the fandom with this company that they surely will, for a few months anyway. 2023 might be a dark hear
Wondering what will happen to my existing performance reservation for $92k. No texts yet and it seems everyone on here had a LR reservation.

I'm stuck between a much slower car or a $24k increase to plaid.
Slower at max attack, sure. I'd bet the Long Range is every bit as quick as the old Performance when not doing a standing start. Lighter, same approximate power output, better cooling. Looks like it just won't have the power-dump capability the Ludicrous mode/launch mode had because the battery is smaller

Reactions: DIL
I ordered my '21 LR+ and the production date was about 4 weeks after my order. These cars weren't sitting on lots, they were burning through parts inventory for the old interior and powertrain, but if you watched the inventory through 2020 like I did, you know they weren't having any problems moving in-stock product. The $80k price was, however, why I was willing to order.

interestingly, still buried in the fine print on the Rivian website for the R1S:

After launch, we’ll announce the timing of our 250+ mile and longer range R1S, also with seven seats.

that might actually cut into Tesla's sales. (I can think of at least one potential future X sale in jeopardy.)

Yep, I will be shopping for a new vehicle at some point in 2022. I think the R1S will be my main consideration outside of a new X.

Reactions: Lobstahz
Even as an opti
No different than countless other mid cycle refreshes other manufacturers have done. Significant, but it’s not a new car.

And the higher price only helps if people buy it. the fandom with this company that they surely will, for a few months anyway. 2023 might be a dark hear

Slower at max attack, sure. I'd bet the Long Range is every bit as quick as the old Performance when not doing a standing start. Lighter, same approximate power output, better cooling. Looks like it just won't have the power-dump capability the Ludicrous mode/launch mode had because the battery is smaller
also the plaid now has torque vectoring from two rear motors, which should differentiate the handling dynamics pretty significantly. that’s what’s making me reconsider my order.

Wondering what will happen to my existing performance reservation for $92k. No texts yet and it seems everyone on here had a LR reservation.

I'm stuck between a much slower car or a $24k increase to plaid.

$92k? Performance was $99,990, now $119,990.

I'm in the same boat. Wish the plaid was more than .1 seconds faster 0-60, but I'm still going Plaid. Gonna be driving by the Fremont factory / test drive area every weekend to see what they have

Found it interesting that there is not a single picture of the Falcon Wing Doors open on the new landing page. This is after the previous page had a video at the top showcasing the doors opening and numerous other shots throughout. The only reference is a small mention in the utility section with a graphic on the bottom of the picture. Nothing earth shattering, just interesting that Tesla has realized that these aren't a selling point anymore.

Disclosure: Owner of a 2017 MX. Love my MX...would get rid of the FWDs in a heart beat if I could. ~50% of my service visits in almost 4 years have been to deal with FWD issues. My three kids even hate them. I'm out of warranty now...the main concern I have is if my doors will still work on any given day.