Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major accident for me tonight (5/26) (New P85 arrives 7/8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GasDoc - We're all glad you are seemingly OK, good advice above to get all checked out. Accidents are very shaking and destabilizing - many of us have probably been in one or more, which is one or more than we all wanted to be in regardless of fault. The good news is you're there to take care of your kids, and perhaps the Tesla played a small part in that. For that we can all be thankful. We wish you well.

Sorry about the accident-- But so glad everyone is OK.
As far as I'm concerned, the sooner driverless car technologies such as Google is working on become more widespread, the better.
Many many lives will be saved.

Yeah, now you get to have all those options you wished you had, that better color, maybe a P+? Better handles. The car is getting better all the time. Glad you're OK. Crap does happen, which is why the car is built so well.

So happy to hear you and your passengers are ok and hope your new Model S will arrive quickly. Safety was not the top reason why I reserved the Model S, but did become the top reason why we purchased. Accidents are going to happen, we hope not to us, but they are a cause for reflection and will most likely change you in some way. That reflection usually results in seeking out a safer/safest car you can afford, but even though the official results are not out I believe we have made the best choice possible in Model S. There are things in life that are unavoidable, out of our control and pure coincidence. Risk is apart of our everyday lives especially behind the wheel. Another reason why I love this forum is to hear the outpouring of everyone and I'm glad you are contributing!

Add me to the list of those who are glad you are ok.

i would be interested in seeing the dash cam video. Your post may help others understand how this happened and how we might prevent the same from happening to us. And by doing so, it may give you some measure of peace that your experience, although painful and upsetting, could help others.

GasDoc, very happy that you and your passengers are OK. That is the most important thing by far. I'm sure the car situation will be taken care of by insurance and Tesla, but make sure you and the passengers take the time to heal yourself physically and mentally!

Glad you're OK and your Model S protected you well. Bad news, but the brighter side for us is that we actually feel safer knowing you were well served by your car.

I'd also be interested in the significance of the information captured by the dashcam in the final resolution of the incident.

Good luck and best wishes.

The other car sustained major damage. It was spun around well down the road. Someone told me it was an M5

I saw a wheel laying in the bushes. I think the axle was snapped! Someone said that both wheels came off.

I may post the dashcam images and photos after this incident is in the past. Of course I'll provide all the information I can to Tesla.

You know the funniest thing? Before my touchpad went dead, there were all kinds of red alert messages in the status bar. The thought that cane to mind was a hopeful "Did I just get the 4.5 update?"

Gasdoc - glad to know you and everyone are doing ok. That is the most important thing. Lots of emotions go through and your mind thinks about every nano second of what you could have done differently. Cars can be replaced.
You have a great sense of humor about it to get through.

Glad to hear that you and yours are doing well after this terrible accident. As others have said, cars can be replaced, people cannot. Best wishes to you as you move your life forward. (And it sounds like you're starting to consider a trust and an executor for your kids ... good luck with that as well and I encourage you. Nothing like making you consider your mortality as when you try to decide who would take care of your kids if you and your other half weren't around anymore)

i would be interested in seeing the dash cam video. Your post may help others understand how this happened and how we might prevent the same from happening to us. And by doing so, it may give you some measure of peace that your experience, although painful and upsetting, could help others.

I'm holding off on posting any pictures or video. Lots of information available in the Blackvue Dashcam desktop app, including measurement of G forces in 3 dimensions.

GasDoc and All,

In that GasDoc had the thought of "who would take care of my kids?"...

We all should know via a Will, delineating not just the executor of our estate, a but also the guardian for minor children should parents co-decease. In addition, because we are all driving fairly expense cars, we have assets. Estate planning would limit the use of inherited assets by our children based on our wishes. I wouldn't want each of my two boys to have half of my net worth available to them on their 18th birthday.

Remember, whatever you don't decide while alive, a Probate Judge gets to when you're not - with mother-in-laws and aunts telling the kids and the judge how evil the other is because they believe they are the better caretakers (or just want the funds).

In addition, Healthcare proxy, Durable Power of Attorney, etc......

NOTE: I'm not an attorney - this is not a solicitation. I'm a practicing CFP and see the interaction of death and greed often. If you haven't done this yet, please do. You will walk an inch taller once in place.

Last edited:
Glad you and yours are ok, GasDoc. Something to consider as you evaluate the "what ifs"... Try to put it in the light of "no accident is a good one, but this one was survived with no significant physical injuries." Try to take a moment to absorb that conclusion. Now focus on what you might do in the future, rather than worry about what you could have done in the past.

Maybe I missed it but... how are the driver and passengers in the other vehicle?

It is moments like these that show us that no matter how careful we are, we can't control how stupid or negligent someone else can be. I too, am glad that you and whoever was with you are okay. I'm very glad you were in a Model S that allowed you to be here telling us your story.

In an accident a massive amount of adrenalin is pumped into your system. That stuff allows you to function normally even when your body is damaged. As others have said, I would have everyone checked at the doctors as soon as possible for unseen problems.

Continued good luck. Thanks for keeping all of us in the loop.