TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Major Automakers Agree On DC Fast Charging Standard [Video @ Bottom of Article]

Discussion in 'Video' started by twinklejet, Jun 13, 2013.

1. twinklejet

twinklejet Member

2. deonb

deonb Active Member

3. huntjo

huntjo Member

Is that what they call frankenplug?

4. Chris

Chris Member

*shiver*

Good thing by the time this thing gets rolled out Tesla will basically have set the standard. (It would be nice to have just one plug for all EVs though)

5. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I'd rather not share superchargers anyway. As long as we get an adapter that works with the frankenplug.

6. TXjak

TXjak Owner/Investor/Advocate

7. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

TXjak is correct. This is old news. The beauty of Tesla is that it is nimble and flexible; you just need an adapter and a bit of programming to allow any system to talk to your car and work. Their system is awkward, weak, and limited, but functional.

This video feels like a response to the Supercharger. It says "we can fast charge too."

8. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Why do I get the feeling that the "fully charge in minutes" thing is only referring to the 20 or 40KWh batteries common in the "major" EVs?

They don't give any power numbers.

9. arg

arg Member

The specs are well known - you can buy the documents from the SAE for a few dollars.

Electrically, this is identical to what Tesla use on the superchargers, just that the plug is a different shape.

The 'frankenplug' is limited to 200A - that gives about 90kW theoretical maximum with a pack voltage chosen just to suit this purpose, or 75kW maximum charging a Model S pack.

I am not aware of Tesla having disclosed the exact ratings of their connector, but it must be at least 300A since they are getting 120kW with Model S.