Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Bumper Damage Before Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was supposed to pick up my X tomorrow but the SC called me today and said that the front bumper was damaged beyond repair. They think it happened during transit but aren't sure. They have ordered a new bumper from the factory and said it should be at the SC in FLL within a week or so. I have several concerns. In order to tear up a bumper that bad, is there other damage that isn't visible? There are a lot of sensors and lights in the front bumper. Is the SC going to be able to replace the bumper and reinstall all those sensors to factory specs including calibration? Should I reject the delivery? Should I request a price reduction for a vehicle that now has "prior damage"? I'm new at this and don't know Teslas that well. Could some of the experts at TMC please give your opinions. Thanks in advance.

After reading your message, I just looked up on Ebay to see what a Model X bumper would look like. It is possible just that piece got damaged. It has to be replaced as a whole from what I see.

upload_2020-6-25_17-28-46.png

They will replace all the sensors, lights etc. When you take delivery, just make sure that the fitting is good and there aren't any wobbly parts. look underneath the car as well as it should be tightly sealed. Not sure if continuous pressure from a transportation fastening belt during transportation had the frame crack.

upload_2020-6-25_17-47-0.png

Not sure about the price reduction options. If you find anything wrong, I think you can refuse delivery until it is fixed. I am assuming that will make sure that it is fully fixed before calling you in for delivery.

After reading your message, I just looked up on Ebay to see what a Model X bumper would look like. It is possible just that piece got damaged. It has to be replaced as a whole from what I see.

View attachment 556397

They will replace all the sensors, lights etc. When you take delivery, just make sure that the fitting is good and there aren't any wobbly parts. look underneath the car as well as it should be tightly sealed. Not sure if continuous pressure from a transportation fastening belt during transportation had the frame crack.

View attachment 556406

Not sure about the price reduction options. If you find anything wrong, I think you can refuse delivery until it is fixed. I am assuming that will make sure that it is fully fixed before calling you in for delivery.

Will this X have a permanent record on its CARFAX history? I assume Tesla can no longer sell this car to you with a “clean history”?

Will this X have a permanent record on its CARFAX history? I assume Tesla can no longer sell this car to you with a “clean history”?

Sure they can. Happens all the time and there's usually no requirement to disclose it.

Your brand new car might not be completely new after all

Truth be told... what difference does it make? As long as the title or Carfax aren't branded, what's the difference between a bumper being replaced at the service center vs. in "rework" at the factory? Realistically, nothing.

• Helpful
Reactions: tinm
Thanks everyone for the input. Picked the X up on Monday. The "new" bumper has multiple scratches on the black trim along the bottom and several of the sensors in the bumper are giving erroneous warnings to "stop" (shows zero clearance on front of the X) when there is 40 feet or more of clearance. Mobile service is coming out on Friday to try and fix it. We will see. On a separate issue, the driver door and Driver FWD won't open without overriding it as the display screen is showing the obstacle arc on the left side of the X even though the car is parked in the middle of my driveway. Nothing around the car in any direction. Hope they can get everything fixed (and stays fixed) because I really like the car.

Thanks everyone for the input. Picked the X up on Monday. The "new" bumper has multiple scratches on the black trim along the bottom and several of the sensors in the bumper are giving erroneous warnings to "stop" (shows zero clearance on front of the X) when there is 40 feet or more of clearance. Mobile service is coming out on Friday to try and fix it. We will see. On a separate issue, the driver door and Driver FWD won't open without overriding it as the display screen is showing the obstacle arc on the left side of the X even though the car is parked in the middle of my driveway. Nothing around the car in any direction. Hope they can get everything fixed (and stays fixed) because I really like the car.

Glad you like the car @MaxEPR !! Good luck with the Mobile service. I think a reset of the sensors or replacement should help. I do not own a Model X so perhaps other folks in the forum will be able to help if they have faced similar FWD sensor issues. As for the scratches at the bottom, my guess is the service center had to go out of their way to replace the bumper and should've been a tough seal at the bottom as its a brand new one.

We had a similar situation. To make a long story short; used MX showed up with LOTS of damage not shown in the pictures, and damage to seats middle nad rear that there were no pics off. We refused delivery. Now trying to get our $$$ back and looking for a different car.