Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Colision Repair, Whats your experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was involved in an accident in my 1 year old MS 100D. I was hit in the right fron by a mid sized truck. Damage looks pretty severe and ALL Airbags deployed. I was the only one in the car and I am perfectly fine, not a scratch, bruise and no sore neck or back. When I was hit I was spun 180 degrees before coming to a rest. What are your experiences with cost, time frame on repairs or were you totaled out?

Attachments

• D75E25BF-AA3F-4A50-B799-0446B99677AA.jpeg
    D75E25BF-AA3F-4A50-B799-0446B99677AA.jpeg
    515.5 KB · Views: 181
I was involved in an accident in my 1 year old MS 100D. I was hit in the right fron by a mid sized truck. Damage looks pretty severe and ALL Airbags deployed. I was the only one in the car and I am perfectly fine, not a scratch, bruise and no sore neck or back. When I was hit I was spun 180 degrees before coming to a rest. What are your experiences with cost, time frame on repairs or were you totaled out?

Agree with poster above this looks like total loss ...

Yeah, typically if an airbag deploys, it's a total loss.

Since when? Airbags are easily replaced. It comes down to two things:
  • Is the damage repairable?
  • If so, is it more than a certain percentage of the value of the car (that percentage varies a bit based on insurer)
If the car is repairable, the insurer is likely going to consider repairing the damage. I wrecked my six months old BMW 328i convertible back in 2012. The car, new, retailed for around $56k. The repair bill came out to $21k. State Farm paid the claim no problem.

And yes, every single airbag in the car deployed in the accident, and every single airbag was replaced.

Since when? Airbags are easily replaced. It comes down to two things:
  • Is the damage repairable?
  • If so, is it more than a certain percentage of the value of the car (that percentage varies a bit based on insurer)
If the car is repairable, the insurer is likely going to consider repairing the damage. I wrecked my six months old BMW 328i convertible back in 2012. The car, new, retailed for around $56k. The repair bill came out to $21k. State Farm paid the claim no problem.

And yes, every single airbag in the car deployed in the accident, and every single airbag was replaced.
Yes, and my S was in an accident four years ago - not as severe as the OP - and the airbags deployed. It was all repaired and has been perfectly fine since. Never would have known it was in an accident. It did take time as the shop was waiting on parts.

Sorry to hear about that.

Were you in autopilot at the time?

I’ve heard Tesla’s are in a gray area with insurance, have they agreed to pay for a replacement or just pay out the “market value” which is extremely subjective since Tesla is still so new

Sorry to hear about that.

Were you in autopilot at the time?

I’ve heard Tesla’s are in a gray area with insurance, have they agreed to pay for a replacement or just pay out the “market value” which is extremely subjective since Tesla is still so new

I was not in AP. It is currently at a Tesla certified shop. They are stripping it down and inspecting all the damage to see if it is repairable or if it will be a total loss.

Sorry to hear about your accident. A few months ago, I slowly backed out of garage with rear door open and caused severe damage to inside, outside, and hinge. I consider this a software defect because the vehicle should not move when a door is open. An authorized Tesla repair shop had to change rear door, interior trim, and hinge. Window and motor were fine. My insurance company had to pay $17K and I had a small deductible. Repair time was a little more than two weeks, delayed several days due to insurance approvals. Am I crazy or is $17K a ridiculous price to replace a rear passenger door?

Am I crazy or is $17K a ridiculous price to replace a rear passenger door?

"It depends" is the answer. Sounds like the hinge may have pulled a structural member a bit out of whack, lots of lever there. Did you look at the parts list cost and what items the labor was?

Recently got my S back from the repair shop; big deer hit drivers side front. I thought around $8K in damage, was $14K because of many things I would have never thought of, including a nick in a wire requires entire harness replacement. Tesla made them replace parts that didn't look bad and tested good, but I understand they want no chances of future problems.

Most recent update was Friday. So far there is just over $41k in repairs. The shop sent its findings so far to my insurance and said that there is more damage but they need approval to disassemble more to dig deeper. He said that if the battery is damaged in any way it is $26k by itself. To dig further they need to disassemble the entire electrical system whic what he said would basically be down to a bare shell.

I would talk to the insurance company and be like this is going to take a month to fix. With the rental cars, you have to add another $2k. It’s better off for them to declare it total now so you can order a new car. This is when a good insurance comes into play. Stupid geico will probably try to ask you to buy a parts car and piece it together

It will take forever, one in Dallas shop for year. One in Virginia 6 months. Several here in for many months the Profrssive agent said.
Get it totalled, get a new on order today.
Only problem is "market value" they give you. I bought 25% add on rider if totaled by usaa.