Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major differences between 2016 (refreshed) 90D and 2017 90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if there were any major differences between the refreshed 2016 90D and the 2017 version ? Did the 2016 have smart air suspension ? Also, as far as real world range, are they pretty much the same ? I haven't been able to find much by way of real world range stats here. I realize that range isn't really a concern given the supercharger buildout but I'm still curious :)
Thanks!

I'm considering a 2016 CPO AP1 90D. Good price point, free supercharging and subzero package. I assume that the drive unit would still be under warranty. Is this something to avoid completely ?

The 90kWh battery seems to be one of the most fluffed packs in terms of the advertised vs actual capacity and the rate of degradation (depending on generation of pack). I'm not an expert on that subject so others can fill in....

But IMO unless the deal is truly fantastic, I would rather err on the side of getting an AP2 car these days, especially since that's where all of Tesla's development is focused.

The 90kWh battery seems to be one of the most fluffed packs in terms of the advertised vs actual capacity and the rate of degradation (depending on generation of pack). I'm not an expert on that subject so others can fill in....

But IMO unless the deal is truly fantastic, I would rather err on the side of getting an AP2 car these days, especially since that's where all of Tesla's development is focused.

..everything he said ...

That does indeed seem to be the case. I found one or two posts here mentioning that they get ~283 miles at 100% charge. Not quite the advertised 294.
Best (?) deal I've seen so far is a 2016 with 26k miles for $76k. (AP1, Subzero, panoramic roof, HEPA)

Just throwing it out there, if cost is an important factor, have you considered if a Model 3 would suit your need? The 3 LR has better range than the 90D and comes pretty close to the 100D.... and has the latest Autopilot and MCU hardware Tesla offers. And the sticker price is still lower than the 90D CPO you're looking at.

AP1 is decent but it's definitely at the end of the road now in terms of any improvement to the system. AP2 has been rapidly developing this year and we're right on the cusp of what sound like significant features in the coming month or two. It would suck to feel like you're missing out just a few months into ownership of your new-to-you car.... Tech is a huge part of what makes a Tesla a Tesla.

I agree that the range wasn't quite as high as expected on the 90Ds, and the motors have gone through at least 2 changes depending upon when it was manufactured. AP1 may be a limiting factor - I'd ask whether the CPO is eligible for the FREE upgrade of the MCU even on the AP2.5 (essentially, the processor for Autopilot) on both vehicles. Otherwise, you could be looking at a $3-5K upgrade. Also look at the warranty and see what's being covered and what's being excluded on the CPOs vs new.

• Informative
Reactions: masam
FWIW, I have a Mar/Apr, 2017 built 90D. I took delivery of the vehicle end of June, 2017, it was an inventory car. I have the latest 90D battery pack onboard. It started at 298 miles @ 100% with 1800 miles on the odometer. It now has ~40k, and gets about 283 miles @ 100%.

Thanks for the info...do you know what your part number is for your pack? I have a Dec 2016 90D so curious to know if we share the same part number.

I was wondering if there were any major differences between the refreshed 2016 90D and the 2017 version ? Did the 2016 have smart air suspension ? Also, as far as real world range, are they pretty much the same ? I haven't been able to find much by way of real world range stats here. I realize that range isn't really a concern given the supercharger buildout but I'm still curious :)
Thanks!

There were a couple of major changes in 2016. First the refresh, then the AP2 hardware near the end of the year. The smart air suspension came along around 2014, my car (mid-2016 90D) has it. My 90% was 268-269 when the car was new (equals about 298 miles at 100%), it's still 268 miles at 90%. I get rated range fairly regularly except in winter.

The issues I have had are all nuisance issues (buzzing headlights - easily replaced, grinding noise from flash on the radiator baffles - also easily fixed). So far my car has been better than my old Buick in its first two years and I drove that car 24 years.

• Informative
Reactions: masam