TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Major differences between 2016 (refreshed) 90D and 2017 90D?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by masam, Aug 12, 2018.

1. masam

masam Member

I was wondering if there were any major differences between the refreshed 2016 90D and the 2017 version ? Did the 2016 have smart air suspension ? Also, as far as real world range, are they pretty much the same ? I haven't been able to find much by way of real world range stats here. I realize that range isn't really a concern given the supercharger buildout but I'm still curious :)
    Thanks!

2. Krash

Krash Data Technician

90s built after mid June 2017 have the new drive unit, although we are still unclear as to how it differs. Also there were 2017 90s built after AP2.5 was released. One disadvantage of the 2017 cars is that few will have transferable unlimited supercharging.

• Like x 1
  3. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Note that the facelift first shipped with AP1 for a few months before AP2 was announced.... So definitely it's worth considering whether or not you have some variant of AP2 since that looks like the path forward for Tesla.

• Helpful x 1
  4. masam

masam Member

I'm considering a 2016 CPO AP1 90D. Good price point, free supercharging and subzero package. I assume that the drive unit would still be under warranty. Is this something to avoid completely ?

5. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

The 90kWh battery seems to be one of the most fluffed packs in terms of the advertised vs actual capacity and the rate of degradation (depending on generation of pack). I'm not an expert on that subject so others can fill in....

But IMO unless the deal is truly fantastic, I would rather err on the side of getting an AP2 car these days, especially since that's where all of Tesla's development is focused.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  6. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

..everything he said ...

7. masam

masam Member

That does indeed seem to be the case. I found one or two posts here mentioning that they get ~283 miles at 100% charge. Not quite the advertised 294.
    Best (?) deal I've seen so far is a 2016 with 26k miles for $76k. (AP1, Subzero, panoramic roof, HEPA)

8. steve841

steve841 Active Member

I have the same basic vehicle. Im not a fan of AP. so, AP1 is perfectly acceptable to me. Im sure you'd be happy. Just look at the car before you buy it. Dont take a sales person's words ...

9. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Just throwing it out there, if cost is an important factor, have you considered if a Model 3 would suit your need? The 3 LR has better range than the 90D and comes pretty close to the 100D.... and has the latest Autopilot and MCU hardware Tesla offers. And the sticker price is still lower than the 90D CPO you're looking at.

AP1 is decent but it's definitely at the end of the road now in terms of any improvement to the system. AP2 has been rapidly developing this year and we're right on the cusp of what sound like significant features in the coming month or two. It would suck to feel like you're missing out just a few months into ownership of your new-to-you car.... Tech is a huge part of what makes a Tesla a Tesla.

10. masam

masam Member

I’ve test driven the model 3 (both performance and non) and overall I prefer the model S for size, subzero package, power lift gate, two screens and comfort. We have a Model X with AP1 that we are quite happy with. Some of the CPOs just seem very appealing :)

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  11. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

I agree that the range wasn't quite as high as expected on the 90Ds, and the motors have gone through at least 2 changes depending upon when it was manufactured. AP1 may be a limiting factor - I'd ask whether the CPO is eligible for the FREE upgrade of the MCU even on the AP2.5 (essentially, the processor for Autopilot) on both vehicles. Otherwise, you could be looking at a $3-5K upgrade. Also look at the warranty and see what's being covered and what's being excluded on the CPOs vs new.

• Informative x 1
  12. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

FWIW, I have a Mar/Apr, 2017 built 90D. I took delivery of the vehicle end of June, 2017, it was an inventory car. I have the latest 90D battery pack onboard. It started at 298 miles @ 100% with 1800 miles on the odometer. It now has ~40k, and gets about 283 miles @ 100%.

• Informative x 2
  13. Shateam

Shateam Member

Thanks for the info...do you know what your part number is for your pack? I have a Dec 2016 90D so curious to know if we share the same part number.

14. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Yeah, it's: 1088790-00-A

My Vin/Build number is 1897xx

• Helpful x 1
  15. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Good pack ;)

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. masam

masam Member

Are 15xx bad battery packs ?

17. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Here are some pack numbers :.i wouldn’t call bad just they don’t provide full power for good Luda launches .l(V1)in terms of degradation you can search out the numbers there are more detailed threads

1063792-00-A: V1

1071394-00-A: V2

1088792-00-A: V3

• Informative x 4
  18. dds28

dds28 Member

2017 no longer have Brembo 4 piston calipers in the rear. A downgrade from pre 2017 Model S. Only the performance models now have the old calipers.

19. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

There were a couple of major changes in 2016. First the refresh, then the AP2 hardware near the end of the year. The smart air suspension came along around 2014, my car (mid-2016 90D) has it. My 90% was 268-269 when the car was new (equals about 298 miles at 100%), it's still 268 miles at 90%. I get rated range fairly regularly except in winter.

The issues I have had are all nuisance issues (buzzing headlights - easily replaced, grinding noise from flash on the radiator baffles - also easily fixed). So far my car has been better than my old Buick in its first two years and I drove that car 24 years.

• Informative x 1