TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

major facelift panel gap issues!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JoshG, May 4, 2016.

1. JoshG

JoshG Member

#1 JoshG, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Burlingame showroom has a red facelift car now, and while I like the new front end, the gaps in the body panel, especially around the frunk lid, are really huge. could just about get my pinky finger into the gap... not quite... but still, it's WAY bigger than any modern car i've seen. There were some other alignment issues where things just didn't line up properly too... all around the front of the car. see pics. It does remind me of early body-panel gap issues on the very earliest model S cars. Eventually it got better.

Let's hope they're just getting things up to speed and this will improve. I think if mine were delivered to me this way, I'd ask them to take it back until they got the body panels better aligned.

Interestingly, there was a customer's Model X nearby and I checked it out for comparison... no such issues. Looked perfect around the frunk.

IMG_6995.JPG

IMG_6994.JPG

IMG_6993.JPG

IMG_6992.JPG

IMG_6989.JPG

• Like x 1
  2. JoshG

JoshG Member

oh, and before someone asks... yes, i'm sure the frunk wasn't partially opened. I fully opened it and then closed it again before shooting the pictures.

3. James Anders

James Anders Member

Was it at least even on both sides? Or was the other side narrower?

4. JoshG

JoshG Member

It was even on both sides... which actually concerned me more. Didn't seem like just attachment issues... seems like either the frunk lid panel is actually made too narrow (doubtful) or that the two side panels weren't attached as close to the lid as they should have been.

5. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Preproduction model.

• Like x 1
  6. marty2112

marty2112 Member

this one looks ok.... IMG_2182.JPG

• Informative x 1
  7. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

I've heard reports from others that the panel gaps inside and out on the refresh are significantly improved. This might just be a one-off. (All showroom refresh cars were a special run of the line)

8. Tanquen

Tanquen Member

How hard would it be to make adjustments yourself? Not that you should have to but if I can just tweak the hood mounts myself I'd rather then have someone else monkey with it.

9. TheD

TheD Member

It's a good thing only showrooms are receiving the refreshed models at this time. Gives Tesla time to tweak and perfect before customers start getting their orders.

10. JoshG

JoshG Member

good to see that silver one with much better QC. Chalk that red one up to pre-production rush job knowing it wouldn't become a customer car ever.

11. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

I'm sure it will be sold as an Inventory model eventually.

12. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I saw a customer car waiting to delivery and the hood alignment looked right. It's interesting that they changed the shape of the hood. I wonder if that contributes to both the range increase and the appearance of alignment problems on the early cars.

13. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Looks fine to me. I'll take it.