Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Flaw - No Charge Port in Front (towing)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dual ports will be occasionally helpful, but Superchargers are mostly in poor locations for charging while hitched. It’s currently best to do everything you can to make hitching/unhitching fast and easy. Electric tongue jack, flip foot or blocks for the tongue stand, etc.

What about charging it at home? Will the truck be too long for the typical garage? Of course, could leave garage door open while charging. I wonder why it has so much more range. Is it as simple as a bigger battery?

Park a pick-up inside a garage? That's crazy talk!

You can cheat by putting a notch by a door that allows the door to be closed with the cable in the notch.

(For our Volt, if we're parked outside to warm it up in the sun, we just close the garage door on the cable. The garage door doesn't land hard on the cable.)

About once a month, I tow an 18' trailer (with 3 Polaris SxS's) up to the mountains of West Virginia. The Superchargers along my route do not have pull-through stalls (only back in). That means I would have to unhook my trailer at every SC so that I can "back into" the stall. I realize that if I were to pull straight into the stall (with the trailer attached) that my rig would be sticking out quite far, however, I would try and choose the outermost stalls (the end stalls) to minimize disruption to others. And many times, due to the large amount of room around the SC stalls in my area, my long rig wouldn't be an issue anyway.
Or, you know, they could just rearrange or add stalls that accommodate the truck’s form factor. I don’t think will be a big issue when they start selling the truck in numbers. One of the benefits of Tesla being vertically integrated with their own charge network and not having to rely on a third party to make charge stalls that work with their vehicles.

Easier to drop off a trailer with Tesla than other cars.

With adjustable air suspension set on high, lower the front wheel on your trailer hitch. Release ball and lower suspension. Simply drive away (after un hooking chains and electric plugs.

Get you charge and return to trailer. Use backup camera to easily center ball on hitch and raise up the suspension. Then clamp ball, plug in connectors and hang chains.

Much easier than without air suspension.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
What about charging it at home? Will the truck be too long for the typical garage? Of course, could leave garage door open while charging. I wonder why it has so much more range. Is it as simple as a bigger battery?

Won’t fit in my standard 2 car garage. My garage is exactly 234” (9 1/2 feet). The truck is almost 232”. I don’t think 2” is enough buffer. More range is always better as long as it’s not cost prohibitive and for $70k the 500 mile range and performance will be a relative steal.

Easier to drop off a trailer with Tesla than other cars.

With adjustable air suspension set on high, lower the front wheel on your trailer hitch. Release ball and lower suspension. Simply drive away (after un hooking chains and electric plugs.

Get you charge and return to trailer. Use backup camera to easily center ball on hitch and raise up the suspension. Then clamp ball, plug in connectors and hang chains.

Much easier than without air suspension.
Weight distribution changes the equation a bit. Also: the manual tells you not to adjust your air suspension while hitched. Air leveling is disabled for this same reason when in trailer mode.

Weight distribution changes the equation a bit. Also: the manual tells you not to adjust your air suspension while hitched. Air leveling is disabled for this same reason when in trailer mode.

Not screwing with height while under way is good, as the risk of making the tongue weight wrong suddenly is too great.
While hitching or unhitching a trailer I see no problem.

Not screwing with height while under way is good, as the risk of making the tongue weight wrong suddenly is too great.
While hitching or unhitching a trailer I see no problem.
I can't say I know why they include that in the manual, but they do. It's possible the air pump for the suspension can be overloaded, I suppose. But you could be right, there may be no risk. I'm just relaying what Tesla says.