Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major indecision about exterior color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tslagrl, are you comfortable wearing "MC red" lipstick or dresses/blouses? If yes, then go for it! I don't look good or feel comfortable in very bright red, so went with the understated blue. My first choice was white but my husband had just got a white Camry hybrid (dark blue wasn't an option). Here is a picture of my "dirty" blue (out in an open lot at the airport for 4 days). Good luck!

dirty tessa.JPG

Attachments

• dirty tessa2.JPG
    dirty tessa2.JPG
    559 KB · Views: 297
Tslagrl, are you comfortable wearing "MC red" lipstick or dresses/blouses? If yes, then go for it! I don't look good or feel comfortable in very bright red, so went with the understated blue. My first choice was white but my husband had just got a white Camry hybrid (dark blue wasn't an option). Here is a picture of my "dirty" blue (out in an open lot at the airport for 4 days). Good luck!

LOL, no....actually MC red clashes with my hair, I'm a strawberry blonde! I occasionally wear red but it has to be a softer shade. Thanks for the pic of the dirty blue, still a gorgeous car :smile:
I actually made my mind up about the color last night, and felt good about it when I woke up this morning. I will let you all know just as soon as I've hit the "point of no return" button with Tesla :smile:

What about white and auto car washes?

I had a giant grey BMW and traded it after a year because both the color and the diesel engine made me sad. I now have a giant metallic dark blue BMW that looks to be close in color to Tesla's blue. It spends most of its life dirty because 1) I don't care quite enough about it being clean to wash it very often myself, 2) I do care about the paint enough to not run it through an automatic car wash (swirlies be darned!), and 3) I'm too lazy to wait around for someone else to hand wash my car -- and for $50, they usually don't do such a good job.

I'm usually quite taken with beautiful white vehicles, but have never gotten one myself because I was worried about it looking dirty. However, is white paint not such an issue with taking it through automatic car washes? I'd be keeping that sucker clean if I could drive it through car washes and not worry about how it would look later. Besides scuffing my wheels and all of course.

I had a giant grey BMW and traded it after a year because both the color and the diesel engine made me sad. I now have a giant metallic dark blue BMW that looks to be close in color to Tesla's blue. It spends most of its life dirty because 1) I don't care quite enough about it being clean to wash it very often myself, 2) I do care about the paint enough to not run it through an automatic car wash (swirlies be darned!), and 3) I'm too lazy to wait around for someone else to hand wash my car -- and for $50, they usually don't do such a good job.

I'm usually quite taken with beautiful white vehicles, but have never gotten one myself because I was worried about it looking dirty. However, is white paint not such an issue with taking it through automatic car washes? I'd be keeping that sucker clean if I could drive it through car washes and not worry about how it would look later. Besides scuffing my wheels and all of course.

White cars are actually easier to keep clean than darker colors.
What color cars are easiest to keep clean? by Ace Car Reconditioning

I don't think the issue with automatic car washes has anything to do with the paint color, more about the damage it can do to the clear coat (double check that). It looks like your only option is to hire a mobile detailer. PM me if you want a recommendation for Austin as a number of the Austin people have used someone they've been very happy with. I had him clean my Model S once as well.

Confirmed my order with Tesla - can't quite believe I'm going to be driving my own MS soon :smile:

So, I decided to join the minority of GREEN owners! I've felt comfortable about the decision all day. The past couple of weeks I've been all ready to go for the red but always having a few doubts creep into my mind, now I've gone for the green I feel very happy with the decision. I'm sure there'll be occasional times I have "red-envy", but I know its not for me on a day to day basis. I will enjoy seeing the MC red here on the forum, and hopefully meet some fellow Tesla drivers on the road and smile when I see their MC red.

I like the darkness of the green, as I think the black MS looks pretty sharp, and I like the smokey green-ness of it in the sun. And if it gets dirty I'll just have to get used to washing my car more often :biggrin:

So, 85 green, with grey leather performance seats and pano roof - hopefully I shall be gliding down the freeway looking classy!

Thanks for all the input

Confirmed my order with Tesla - can't quite believe I'm going to be driving my own MS soon :smile:

So, I decided to join the minority of GREEN owners! I've felt comfortable about the decision all day. The past couple of weeks I've been all ready to go for the red but always having a few doubts creep into my mind, now I've gone for the green I feel very happy with the decision. I'm sure there'll be occasional times I have "red-envy", but I know its not for me on a day to day basis. I will enjoy seeing the MC red here on the forum, and hopefully meet some fellow Tesla drivers on the road and smile when I see their MC red.

I like the darkness of the green, as I think the black MS looks pretty sharp, and I like the smokey green-ness of it in the sun. And if it gets dirty I'll just have to get used to washing my car more often :biggrin:

So, 85 green, with grey leather performance seats and pano roof - hopefully I shall be gliding down the freeway looking classy!

Thanks for all the input

Congratulations! I saw a green Model S in the parking lot at the factory in Fremont today. It was a bright sunny day, and the green looked really nice.

I originally bought the blue MS because it was elegant. But it was IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean. The grey would probably be easiest to keep clean looking, but it is BORING. I expect the red MS to arrive within a couple of weeks. Flashy, yes, but not too bad on the cleanliness issue and great to look at.

I couldn't pull the trigger on the Red either! This is all about personal preference really as I find the Grey Metallic (which is what I ordered) to be the color which accents what I love most about the car! The understated "lethality" of my P85+. I got the grey turbine wheels and think the combo is just insanely cool looking!

Just want to say any color will look nice on a MS long as you keep the car clean. A owner should do this as much as possible if he/she cares about the looks. The "hides dirty better" color argument really defeats the purpose. I'll take a wash/waxed black over a dirty white or silver any days of the week. Just get the color you like the best and wash it often. It's a gorgeous car and deserves that treatment.

Last edited:
Love my red Tesla Model S. Never had a red car before but think the Tesla looks terrific in Red. Here it is at Crater Lake National Park.

teslaatcraterlake.png

Attachments

• Red_tesla_crater_lake.jpg
    Red_tesla_crater_lake.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 217