Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major panel gap issues 2021 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery June 9. Came across panel gaps on quarter panel to A-pilar as well has rear trunk lid. Made service appointment, hopefully rigget can correct this. Do they have any quality control at the factory or at delivery center?

Attachments

• E394A5DC-6E2C-4BF6-A61C-BCD5A5C22858.jpeg
    E394A5DC-6E2C-4BF6-A61C-BCD5A5C22858.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 6,995
  • 8CB926BC-E178-4F75-81C5-3CF79A672F23.jpeg
    8CB926BC-E178-4F75-81C5-3CF79A672F23.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 1,091
I hope they can help you with the A-pillar. You can likely fix the hatch yourself. Had the same issue myself, and fixed it perfectly by unscrewing the black adjustment knobs on the underside corners of the hatch a bit. That’s what they’re there for.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 1,062
Reactions: TheQuiet_1
MY delivered today and has this gap. Should I reject or is this an easy fix? Is it even an issue?

View attachment 673635
Since it looks like it’s sitting in your driveway you can’t reject it, I think I read somewhere home deliveries can’t be rejected but I might be wrong. That can be fixed for sure, but honestly it’s a very minimal offset and I would be inclined to leave it as as assuming the light works fine. But there’s some adjustment screws behind the hatch cover that the SC or mobile service could adjust.

Since it looks like it’s sitting in your driveway you can’t reject it, I think I read somewhere home deliveries can’t be rejected but I might be wrong. That can be fixed for sure, but honestly it’s a very minimal offset and I would be inclined to leave it as as assuming the light works fine. But there’s some adjustment screws behind the hatch cover that the SC or mobile service could adjust.
It was a home delivery and they said I can still reject even if I click accept delivery on my account so long as I haven't driven the car. They wanted me to accept delivery to unlock the car and make sure there aren't any issues with opening and closing the trunk. It worked just fine so they said it's an easy fix and had me schedule a service appointment. So I'm taking it in tomorrow morning (Burbank).

This is the only issue and appears to be very minor and easily fixable. Otherwise, the car is pristine. Very, very impressed.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I turned all the knobs to their proper positions and it's still not aligned properly nor flushed against the base of the trunk. I do have a Tesla service appt next week. I hope they can fix the issue.

You can tell the difference from both sides.

Attachments

• tempImageN7nkIr.png
    tempImageN7nkIr.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 721
  • tempImageRspn9C.png
    tempImageRspn9C.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 812
I turned all the knobs to their proper positions and it's still not aligned properly nor flushed against the base of the trunk. I do have a Tesla service appt next week. I hope they can fix the issue.

You can tell the difference from both sides.
So what did they say? I had a similar issue and after two weeks, a different service guy said it’s “impeccable “ and within spec. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 21440827-2310-4A86-AD6A-A1C687DD6857.jpeg
    21440827-2310-4A86-AD6A-A1C687DD6857.jpeg
    337.7 KB · Views: 643
  • F736EF81-A174-4406-A8AF-4DB2B7D11A04.jpeg
    F736EF81-A174-4406-A8AF-4DB2B7D11A04.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 724
Reactions: TheQuiet_1
They did take apart the trunk and realigned it, but its not perfect in my eyes. It's still not fully flushed against the base of the trunk. I guess it will make do until something arises with the hatchback trunk. :/

The right side looks great but the left side is kinda misaligned in my opinion. Will they fix the left side or are you satisfied with the results?

They did take apart the trunk and realigned it, but its not perfect in my eyes. It's still not fully flushed against the base of the trunk. I guess it will make do until something arises with the hatchback trunk. :/

The right side looks great but the left side is kinda misaligned in my opinion. Will they fix the left side or are you satisfied with the results?
I’m not satisfied. I’m going to resubmit service request. The thing that bothers me is that they said they made a minor adjustment and when I opened the trunk, it doesn’t look like they did.

Took delivery June 9. Came across panel gaps on quarter panel to A-pilar as well has rear trunk lid. Made service appointment, hopefully rigget can correct this. Do they have any quality control at the factory or at delivery center?
We’re you able to get the gap on the quarter panel to A-pilar fixed? My Y has the same issue and I’m unsure if I should pursue trying to get it fixed. Seems like there are reason to do it and not to do it.