Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major problem created when tinting front windows of M3 w/ white interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if this reflection problem (see picture) is just for certain brands of tint or certain intensities (mine is dark), but as you can see, the white interior casts a major reflection on the driver's (and passenger's) side rear view mirrors when it's sunny. I really like the white interior. I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with this problem. Any reasonable suggestions?
Tesla Reflection problem.jpg

That's the problem with a white dash. You will likely also see reflections of the white seats in the windows too in various lighting conditions. I'd just slap a vinyl decal on the dash and call it a day.

This is not just a tinted windows and white interior problem. I have a dark grey faux-metallic vinyl wrap covering the wooden dash trim. Even with no additional window tinting, when the angle of the sun is right, I lose all visibility to one or the other of my side view mirrors from the reflection off the wrap. It's worse than the photos above. If it's really critical, I have to roll down the window to see the mirror. Thankfully, it's not often, so I put up with it to get rid of the wood look that I really do not like.

I have the same issue. I had a LR with black interior that I recently sold, and I didn't notice this type of glare in that vehicle.

With my new P3D with white interior, I noticed the glare in my side mirrors a lot. I got my tint very soon after taking delivery, so I can’t say for sure it wouldn’t be there without the tint. But for the same amount of tint, it’s definitely more noticeable than the black interior.

Don’t some of the tints have some sort of metallic coating to them? The reflection issue though is one of the things I had with one of my ICE cars. Light shade dash and I would notice reflections in the windshield of the vents and such on bright days. Went with black interior on my Model 3. Doesn’t show dirt on the seats either.

20% with the White interior?

That's a disservice to the White interior itself!

No tint or 70%. Lightest tint with the whitest interior.

I've had 20% before and it was way too dark so I got it removed and put a lighter tint on. I don't like being secluded in my own car anymore.

20% with the White interior?

That's a disservice to the White interior itself!

No tint or 70%. Lightest tint with the whitest interior.

I've had 20% before and it was way too dark so I got it removed and put a lighter tint on. I don't like being secluded in my own car anymore.
You are entitled to your opinion.

From the outside, the 20% makes my windows look very similar to my Midnight Silver paint. It looks very cool to me.

• Disagree
Reactions: Keester97
The first car I ever tinted I noticed this problem. It was shocking to me then. 4 cars later all with same 15% tint, I'm not shocked anymore. Tinting front windshield slightly helps, but yeah when I get my white interior Y I will wrap the dash strip to be dark.

upload_2019-4-23_12-25-40.png

Here's my view. I put Wincos 30 on the front, with 10 on the back windows. Unlike my black LR, even with 10 on the back you can still see in with the white interior. 30 on the front with white interior looks like nearly no tint!

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-23_12-22-38.png
    upload_2019-4-23_12-22-38.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 185