Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major problem while driving - 20 days out of warranty. Power shut down, won't turn on.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not shooting the messenger here... but are you telling me that they are known to be less reliable??? UG. :)
The reason the drive units were added to the unlimited mile warranty was the early issues. I think Edmunds long term test drive car went through three. Hard to imagine an original drive unit is still out there, but with the prior owner(s) only driving 38k in 7ish years, maybe?

“Classic“ Model S’s are great cars, owned a 2013 P85 myself that I loved before it died an untimely death in an accident. It does really stink to have something big fail right out of the gate though.

Reactions: TwistedGray
The reason the drive units were added to the unlimited mile warranty was the early issues. I think Edmunds long term test drive car went through three. Hard to imagine an original drive unit is still out there, but with the prior owner(s) only driving 38k in 7ish years, maybe?

“Classic“ Model S’s are great cars, owned a 2013 P85 myself that I loved before it died an untimely death in an accident. It does really stink to have something big fail right out of the gate though.

As a 2012 owner, they're a blast to drive :) but can cost a small fortune to repair.

Is there a reasonably easy way to see if my has the original drive unit? Also... if it is original... maybe Tesla will be in a good mood about free / cheaper replacement?
Hey, the HV battery would've been double that, soooooo you lucked out (?).

Not out of the woods yet... they still aren't sure. My appt is Wed morning so if I can find a way to get the car there I should know something by the end of the week.

Thanks!

Is there a reasonably easy way to see if my has the original drive unit? Also... if it is original... maybe Tesla will be in a good mood about free / cheaper replacement?

Do you have the original owners contact info? If so, contact them. If not, it's a coin flip. But either way, remember - you're out of warranty. They'll give you a goodwill discount, at least, because of them proximity of when the warranty ended. Just tell them I said so.

Update - They are saying that both the 12v battery and a HV fuse is bad. Good news... they are fixing all of it for free. Even the 12v battery which I'm surprised by. This is my second time using the Memphis Service Center and both times have been great experiences!

I will say that I'm still thinking about selling the car. I love it but the idea that one of two $10k+ components can go bad at any time scares me especially considering that the drive unit is known to have issues.

I may see if I can swap for a newer Model S.

Thank you to the group for the help and I'll update when I get the car back. Thanks!

GT

Update - They are saying that both the 12v battery and a HV fuse is bad. Good news... they are fixing all of it for free. Even the 12v battery which I'm surprised by. This is my second time using the Memphis Service Center and both times have been great experiences!

I will say that I'm still thinking about selling the car. I love it but the idea that one of two $10k+ components can go bad at any time scares me especially considering that the drive unit is known to have issues.

I may see if I can swap for a newer Model S.

Thank you to the group for the help and I'll update when I get the car back. Thanks!

GT
Great news! See? Not all is bad. I’ve had nothing but good interactions with my SC along the same lines as you. I know there are plenty of bad stories, but does seem to be location specific.