Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major problem with Pano roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I was driving today I noticed some odd wind noise that was very much out of the ordinary. At first I thought it might be the major winds we've been having in Maryland (gusts up to 50mph) but when I got out of the car I saw this:

z1kTa3HBS96T5ISJLYtFvA.jpg

Either the movable part of the glass has bowed or the stationary piece behind it has flattened out. I'm quite sure it's the former.

It's very weird as the was nothing on the roof that would make this happen. And I rarely open it -- last time was about a month ago. This had to have happened within the past few days or last night, when the car was parked for the evening.

Anyone else experience this or have ideas about a temporary fix before I take the car to service? As I have a long drive today so it's good that no rain is in the forecast. A gap like that would probably leak water like a seive.

While I was driving today I noticed some odd wind noise that was very much out of the ordinary. At first I thought it might be the major winds we've been having in Maryland (gusts up to 50mph) but when I got out of the car I saw this:

z1kTa3HBS96T5ISJLYtFvA.jpg

Either the movable part of the glass has bowed or the stationary piece behind it has flattened out. I'm quite sure it's the former.

It's very weird as the was nothing on the roof that would make this happen. And I rarely open it -- last time was about a month ago. This had to have happened within the past few days or last night, when the car was parked for the evening.

Anyone else experience this or have ideas about a temporary fix before I take the car to service? As I have a long drive today so it's good that no rain is in the forecast. A gap like that would probably leak water like a seive.
I am going thru the same issue as we speak. Took into the service and Center and after a couple of open and close procedures, the roof closed properly. Bottom line they had to order a new roof for me and it should be in soon. We shall see what happens next.

I am going thru the same issue as we speak. Took into the service and Center and after a couple of open and close procedures, the roof closed properly. Bottom line they had to order a new roof for me and it should be in soon. We shall see what happens next.

The pano roof on my 2013 MS 85 stopped working about a month ago. They ordered a new 2.0 roof assembly.

I’m still waiting for the parts to come in.

The pano roof on my 2013 MS 85 stopped working about a month ago. They ordered a new 2.0 roof assembly.

I’m still waiting for the parts to come in.

Did yours bow like mine? If so did Tesla indicate why this happens? The roof opens and closes as it should but the bow allows air and water into the cabin.

Did yours bow like mine? If so did Tesla indicate why this happens? The roof opens and closes as it should but the bow allows air and water into the cabin.

No, mine didn't bow as pictured in yours. Mine would open partially, then seemed to get stuck closing. Only way to close it was to have someone manually set it to close on the touchscreen, then push it closed manually. It was a two person job.

They decide to replace whole pano roof mechanism to the 2.0 version. I don't even know what's different between the 1.0 and 2.0 versions to be honest. Thankfully I have an ESA on my car.

Ironically, I got a call yesterday that the parts were in and my service is scheduled for the middle of next week. After double checking my calendar, the wait for the parts to arrive in Phoenix, AZ was 5 weeks.

My car is at the service center for a number of fixes -- pano roof, nav, and screwed up charging port lights. When I took the car in and showed them the bow in the pano roof they said they has never seen anything like it before.

Although I have the extended warranty, they apparently didn't realize that and called me a few hours later with a quote for repairs to the pano roof. It was slightly less than $400, which was much lower than I would have guessed. I reminded them that I have the extended warranty, so all of this work will not cost me a dime. The fault with the GPS was in the driver's side mirror antenna, and they told me the entire mirror will have to be replaced, as will the charge port.

Happy I bought the warranty extension.

Although I have the extended warranty, they apparently didn't realize that and called me a few hours later with a quote for repairs to the pano roof. It was slightly less than $400, which was much lower than I would have guessed. I reminded them that I have the extended warranty, so all of this work will not cost me a dime.

Isn't there a deductible that you would owe under the ESA?

As it turns out, service replaced the sliding glass panel and the seal. Also replaced the GPS antennas under the rear lift gate glass and the front supension fore and aft link assemblies (that a result of the annual service inspection). I did have to pay the annual service charge but the rest was covered under the EWA. I had no idea that there was a problem with the front suspension components but I was very pleased that they diganosed and fixed the problem. Safety first!

Reactions: MP3Mike and mongo
My car is at the service center for a number of fixes -- pano roof, nav, and screwed up charging port lights. When I took the car in and showed them the bow in the pano roof they said they has never seen anything like it before.

I feel like the service centers are trained to act totally ignorant of every problem that arises. Most time I took mine in for a problem, I heard "We've never seen anything like that before." The best was when I had the yellowing around my MCU display and they claimed ignorance. I told them dozens of people on TMC have had the same problem, would you like to know the VIN range this is happening for? Crickets..