Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chasedrgc1223

Nearly Insane
Apr 8, 2015
NJ
Thought I'd share my experience with everyone here. I have a 2015 Model S 85D with 87k miles at the service center getting new left and right half shafts, rear jack shafts, and a new rear drive unit. The jack shafts and half shafts are being replaced due to an acceleration shudder that has been present since ~20k miles, but has gotten significantly worse over recent months. The drive unit is being replaced due to a clunk between regen and acceleration, but this is the first and only DU replacement after 87k miles! The shudder seems to be a common issue, and it is being reprimanded by replacing the half shafts and jack shafts with a new design. For those with the issue, set the suspension to Very High and floor it; the shudder is most prominent on Very High, and this is what I showed to the tech. Love Tesla service, and I'm so glad I went with the extended warranty!

My 2016 S75 does a slight clunk at very low speeds when I transition from acceleration to regen and vice versa. I wonder if that's going to be a new drive unit soon........ What speed was it doing it for you? And was it a big clunk, or just a slight one? :)
Mine was most apparent at low speeds, but it was replicated at high speeds as well. It was a pretty slight clunk, but it was definitely noticeable and annoying enough for the service center guys to agree on a new DU. Interesting considering you have a RWD S vs the D, but those larger drive units had the clunking defect more common earlier on in production. Take out a service employee and let him diagnose the sound.
Did you have to pay a deductible on the work besides the drive unit?
I had a service appointment months ago that happened to fall two days after a pretty bad snow storm. I drove more than an hour away for this appointment, and when I got there it was closed. No one from Tesla called me so obviously I was upset with them, but when I called to set up this appointment they gave me a free brake cleaning and no mention of the deductible because of their mistake. Tesla service so far has been on par with my Lexus service experience, if not even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: gabeincal