TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Major Repairs

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Chasedrgc1223, Jul 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chasedrgc1223

Chasedrgc1223 Nearly Insane

Thought I'd share my experience with everyone here. I have a 2015 Model S 85D with 87k miles at the service center getting new left and right half shafts, rear jack shafts, and a new rear drive unit. The jack shafts and half shafts are being replaced due to an acceleration shudder that has been present since ~20k miles, but has gotten significantly worse over recent months. The drive unit is being replaced due to a clunk between regen and acceleration, but this is the first and only DU replacement after 87k miles! The shudder seems to be a common issue, and it is being reprimanded by replacing the half shafts and jack shafts with a new design. For those with the issue, set the suspension to Very High and floor it; the shudder is most prominent on Very High, and this is what I showed to the tech. Love Tesla service, and I'm so glad I went with the extended warranty!

2. gabeincal

gabeincal Enjoying Napa life the electric way

My 2016 S75 does a slight clunk at very low speeds when I transition from acceleration to regen and vice versa. I wonder if that's going to be a new drive unit soon........ What speed was it doing it for you? And was it a big clunk, or just a slight one? :)

3. Jrmarek

Jrmarek Member

Did you have to pay a deductible on the work besides the drive unit?

4. Chasedrgc1223

Chasedrgc1223 Nearly Insane

#4 Chasedrgc1223, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Mine was most apparent at low speeds, but it was replicated at high speeds as well. It was a pretty slight clunk, but it was definitely noticeable and annoying enough for the service center guys to agree on a new DU. Interesting considering you have a RWD S vs the D, but those larger drive units had the clunking defect more common earlier on in production. Take out a service employee and let him diagnose the sound.
    I had a service appointment months ago that happened to fall two days after a pretty bad snow storm. I drove more than an hour away for this appointment, and when I got there it was closed. No one from Tesla called me so obviously I was upset with them, but when I called to set up this appointment they gave me a free brake cleaning and no mention of the deductible because of their mistake. Tesla service so far has been on par with my Lexus service experience, if not even better.

• Like x 1