Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Safety Issue - Hoping a Tesla engineer watching the forums reads this!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"safety problem" implies a widespread issue and not a fluke technical fault. But sure ill go ahead and report to the NHTSA next time my car has a malfunction.
If nobody reports it you would never know if it was a widespread issue. Someone is always going to be the first. In my opinion the whole point of those reports is to see if it's a recurring issue or isolated case.

I think those tsla stock holders are just trying to contain the issues until the market opens on Monday and they can unload before the crash and I am sure they will agree with the OP for sure after that... So they can buy it back when the stock is lower.

I think the OP shouldve posted this during the weekday. I think the response tone would have been totally different.

I think those tsla stock holders are just trying to contain the issues until the market opens on Monday and they can unload before the crash and I am sure they will agree with the OP for sure after that... So they can buy it back when the stock is lower.

I think the OP shouldve posted this during the weekday. I think the response tone would have been totally different.

This is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this forum.

The TMC moderators themselves criticized the way I chose to defend @nasell and the importance of free discussion at TMC by telling me last night that calling out the bullying trolls for behaving like cult members is in fact a violation of forum rules. If you'll notice - the posts that criticize the OP for bringing to our attention FAILING HEADLIGHTS have been left up by TMC administration. The post where I call out the trolls for behaving like cult members - has been moved to snippiness and I actually got a private message about it. I've been called out before for snippiness and I've never denied/disagreed with the call - we can all go over the line. But in this case - it's important that people see what is happening to a person who tries to publicly report a safety issue on a supposedly independent club forum - and how the moderators of that forum react to the subsequent controversy. If the mods decide to be petty enough to ban me for calling out cult behavior for what it is (a long standing problem at TMC just like the FUD-spreading shorts have been a problem) - while letting stand the posts which criticize the OP for reporting a safety problem - well, their actions will stand for themselves.

Wow, I had no idea that happened. I haven't been contacted at all, so it's interesting to hear that they msg'd you simply for stating what people were saying. That's too bad, but your support is appreciated.

But in all seriousness and after having to ignore 2-3 members in this thread for tin foil hat or straight up troll behavior (on both sides), thank you for sharing this op. Imagining having the headlights turn off on a 2 lane highway on a windy road scares the hell out of me.

Thanks for reading. I'll keep everyone updated as I hear anything. We were lucky that the road we were on was straight, and the good news is, AutoPilot worked well in this low light situation! So silver linings!

Last edited:
Reactions: calisnow

Bah. I'm a stockholder. And this isn't going to cause the stock to crash. That's just silly.

This is the only auto enthusiast site that I'm aware of where stock prices are a tech matter. :D

"My tires are wearing unevenly!"
"Did you short the stock? Sometimes that causes it."

Looked like a sensor issue to me. Can't imagine why anybody would think this is somehow a design issue. Prolly happens (very rarely) to any car with automatic headlights.

A design issue would be no way to override when the sensors aren't working properly. Clearly the OP found a way to override the sensor malfunction, so this isn't a design issue. Just like the wiper issue; if there wasn't a way to quickly override the malfunctioning sensor then you'd have a design issue.

Are non-automatic wipers or lights on all cars without the feature altogether a safety issue that the government should handle? Could be... that's how we got brake lights (which still malfunction sometimes) and safety belts (which also malfunction sometimes).

Going back out on the road and doing this on purpose for the sake of video is dangerous but doing that in the safety of your own garage is perfectly fine.

Looked like a sensor issue to me. Can't imagine why anybody would think this is somehow a design issue. Prolly happens (very rarely) to any car with automatic headlights.

A design issue would be no way to override when the sensors aren't working properly. Clearly the OP found a way to override the sensor malfunction, so this isn't a design issue.

Going back out on the road and doing this on purpose for the sake of video is dangerous but doing that in the safety of your own garage is perfectly fine.

It could also be considered a design issue when you look at the lack of failsafes. The failsafe under this circumstance would be for the lights to be on... if it is indeed a sensor issue. See my previous post which posed those questions to the service center.

As far as going back out on the road - that's not what happened, and I'm not sure where you thought that I was going back out to purposefully take dangerous videos. The video on the highway was pulled from my Dashcam. The video in the driveway was after we had safely returned home. The next stop, in the morning, was directly to the service center.

OK So HERE I will agree with you.

To the other gentleman... not agreeing does not equal trolling. We aren't Russia just yet, we can still disagree.

I think there's a lot more consensus in this thread than not. We all want the same thing... hell, I don't care if we call it a design flaw, a safety issue, or even a [Loretta Lynch] "matter". All of those definitions are irrelevant. We may have an issue, or simply I may have an issue...unknown, but I'm confident that the right people are and will be looking at it.

Sounds like a scary problem that needs to be rectified asap.

seems to me that TSLA shareholders are getting concerned about real issues with real vehicles (i.e. potentially lives) hurting their stock price, I am concerned about safety of the vehicles first and foremost....

Ignore the blind faith fanboys and TSLA stock pumpers on this forum

Does anyone really believe the stock price is affected because of this issue? It took a few fires to affect the stock price -- not posts on this forum. People can bash Tesla all day long here, or be a "blind faith fanboy", and the stock price won't be affected one iota.

It would sure be nice if people could deal with the issues, and debate people with opposing views respectfully, instead of name calling and telling people that someone with an opposing view is only doing so to protect their financial interest. People lose all credibility when they post such nonsense since we all know the stock price will not rise and fall with posts here.

A design issue would be no way to override when the sensors aren't working properly. Clearly the OP found a way to override the sensor malfunction, so this isn't a design issue. Just like the wiper issue; if there wasn't a way to quickly override the malfunctioning sensor then you'd have a design issue.

Perhaps you've forgotten that Tesla cheaped out and didn't provide a sensor for either the headlights or the windshield wipers. It's all managed (or not) through the front cameras and software. Not exactly a brilliant design to save $30 IMHO.

Hi Saghost,

Yes, both resets were performed while I was on the phone with technical support. Neither worked to resolve the issue - the lights remained off under "Auto" mode, and only returned to operational after sitting overnight.

And thank you Bonnie / Zero CO2. Your support is heartwarming and appreciated. Hopefully your issue Zero is completely different, but if not, now you know what to look for - and the fact that you are now aware means that you and your family are safer for it.

Reading through another thread, someone who was having problems with other AP2 features found that using the center screen power off button and waiting a couple minutes reset them. Have you and/or Tesla tried that for your situation?

Obviously not a real solution, but it might help narrow down the problem...

Last night, while driving down the highway in pitch black lighting, my headlights suddenly shut off! This has happened before, but not during a pitch-black scenario, and I was assured that this was a firmware bug, that it was identified, and was fixed. Obviously that's not the case. I had to quickly pull up the controls and switch on the lights manually, leaving about 10 seconds of pitch black driving at highway speeds.

Luckily we arrived home safe. I was able to pull dashcam footage this time (didn't have one previously), and took several videos where I turned the lights from Auto -> On -> Auto, etc. The lights turned off every time on Auto, despite it being pitch black outside.

Unfortunately, just like the previous two times, the next morning (today), the lights were working normally again. From a technical perspective, this has to be one of the worst case scenarios, because it's not constantly broken, it's intermittent (and rare). Someone could be very seriously injured or killed.

Additionally, this is the SECOND major safety issue I've had in less than 3 weeks. The other issue is the windshield wipers suddenly not working on intermittent/timed settings. You have to turn them to continuous on to get them to work once the car starts acting up. Again, the next day they are back to normal. This has happened twice now. Again, luckily, I reacted after the windshield started to get soaked with water and I noticed my visibility was greatly reduced - but I don't know what would've happened if my wife would've been driving.

I opened up an NHTSA complaint to ensure that this gets looked at, and want to make everyone aware to be incredibly vigilant and aware that this is a potential issue.

My Tesla was delivered on December 29th, 2016. I'm not sure if this is isolated or a widespread issue.

Link to the NHTSA complaint, which includes some of the videos can be found here.

Based on you description it appears this issue is unique to your car - I would guess it's a faulty switch.

Given the information that you provided and that Tesla is already looking into this I find title of this thread sensational and think you are striving for attention.

• Disagree
Reactions: nasell and NerdUno
Sorry to hear about the defect issue. Regarding the reporting debate, it does seem like you have been forthright with Tesla and they have been slow to respond or openly acknowledge the issue. Sometimes IT people may not acknowledge issues, but still take your concerns seriously. Poor communications is not excused, but there may be more going on in the background to resolve than you know.
In the long run, software and all services are made better, in the long run, but attentive customers who follow up. Issues are prioritized often by prioritizors--the people who keep after the service provider to resolve an issue.
Solving something like this before something serious happens is paramount. Sure some hater might come across this, but mainstream media is more likely to cover a serious accident or loss of life.
*Note, during 2012/2013 many early adapters did push to keep reported problems private. This almost certainly helped Tesla make it through the first year when the car was more beta than the car you see now.

OP whether this is a unique problem to your car or not, I appreciated being made aware of it regardless. I called it to my husband's attention since he's the one driving generally at night just so he was aware of it. Our 75 is a few months older than yours. I watched the videos and yes, losing your headlights like that, in pretty decent flow of traffic in darkness like that, would or should alarm anyone. I had a car a number of years back that while driving had an intermittent problem with stalling even at 50-60 mph and had the same fears of getting hit from behind when it happened. Thanks for the video/s. Fumbling with the screen, finding the settings while your feeling panic'd by being stealth in traffic like that is not what one wants to experience. The suggestion someone made to activate your high beams was helpful and something to remember to try.

Reactions: NerdUno
Perhaps you've forgotten that Tesla cheaped out and didn't provide a sensor for either the headlights or the windshield wipers. It's all managed (or not) through the front cameras and software. Not exactly a brilliant design to save $30 IMHO.

Although a camera is a sensor and does perform as a light sensor. I understand the comment though and having redundancy for safety issues with lights or wipers would be desirable IMO.

Sounds like a scary problem that needs to be rectified asap.

Does anyone really believe the stock price is affected because of this issue? It took a few fires to affect the stock price -- not posts on this forum. People can bash Tesla all day long here, or be a "blind faith fanboy", and the stock price won't be affected one iota.

It would sure be nice if people could deal with the issues, and debate people with opposing views respectfully, instead of name calling and telling people that someone with an opposing view is only doing so to protect their financial interest. People lose all credibility when they post such nonsense since we all know the stock price will not rise and fall with posts here.
please explain the reason for folks
Because the Tesla is the only car ever to have "safety issues." Anything technical can malfunction, doesn't indicate a widespread problem. Has anyone else on TMC reported these issues?

Spare me the blind faith fanboy speech. Just because someone is thinking rationally doesn't make them a fanboy. If my car headlights failed at highway speeds id be mad too, but i wouldn't run crying to the NHTSA.

Nobody is giving the OP a hard time because there was a safety issue and they felt unsafe. They're giving them a hard time because of what is clearly an overreaction by filing a regulatory complaint. Next time United Airlines doesn't have a functioning toilet i'll be sure to complain to the FAA.
overreaction ??? please explain toilets ... no lights ? yeah that apples to apples ... you continue to react proving your status

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno