TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Major Safety Issue - Hoping a Tesla engineer watching the forums reads this!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by nasell, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

If nobody reports it you would never know if it was a widespread issue. Someone is always going to be the first. In my opinion the whole point of those reports is to see if it's a recurring issue or isolated case.

• Like x 3
  2. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

I think those tsla stock holders are just trying to contain the issues until the market opens on Monday and they can unload before the crash and I am sure they will agree with the OP for sure after that... So they can buy it back when the stock is lower.

I think the OP shouldve posted this during the weekday. I think the response tone would have been totally different.

• Funny x 3
  3. HumanGenome

HumanGenome Member

This is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this forum.

• Like x 2
  4. HumanGenome

HumanGenome Member

But in all seriousness and after having to ignore 2-3 members in this thread for tin foil hat or straight up troll behavior (on both sides), thank you for sharing this op. Imagining having the headlights turn off on a 2 lane highway on a windy road scares the hell out of me.

• Like x 2
  5. nasell

nasell Member

#65 nasell, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Wow, I had no idea that happened. I haven't been contacted at all, so it's interesting to hear that they msg'd you simply for stating what people were saying. That's too bad, but your support is appreciated.

Thanks for reading. I'll keep everyone updated as I hear anything. We were lucky that the road we were on was straight, and the good news is, AutoPilot worked well in this low light situation! So silver linings!

• Like x 1
  6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Bah. I'm a stockholder. And this isn't going to cause the stock to crash. That's just silly.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  7. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

This is the only auto enthusiast site that I'm aware of where stock prices are a tech matter. :D

"My tires are wearing unevenly!"
    "Did you short the stock? Sometimes that causes it."

• Funny x 5
  8. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Looked like a sensor issue to me. Can't imagine why anybody would think this is somehow a design issue. Prolly happens (very rarely) to any car with automatic headlights.

A design issue would be no way to override when the sensors aren't working properly. Clearly the OP found a way to override the sensor malfunction, so this isn't a design issue. Just like the wiper issue; if there wasn't a way to quickly override the malfunctioning sensor then you'd have a design issue.

Are non-automatic wipers or lights on all cars without the feature altogether a safety issue that the government should handle? Could be... that's how we got brake lights (which still malfunction sometimes) and safety belts (which also malfunction sometimes).

Going back out on the road and doing this on purpose for the sake of video is dangerous but doing that in the safety of your own garage is perfectly fine.

9. nasell

nasell Member

It could also be considered a design issue when you look at the lack of failsafes. The failsafe under this circumstance would be for the lights to be on... if it is indeed a sensor issue. See my previous post which posed those questions to the service center.

As far as going back out on the road - that's not what happened, and I'm not sure where you thought that I was going back out to purposefully take dangerous videos. The video on the highway was pulled from my Dashcam. The video in the driveway was after we had safely returned home. The next stop, in the morning, was directly to the service center.

• Like x 2
  10. nasell

nasell Member

I think there's a lot more consensus in this thread than not. We all want the same thing... hell, I don't care if we call it a design flaw, a safety issue, or even a [Loretta Lynch] "matter". All of those definitions are irrelevant. We may have an issue, or simply I may have an issue...unknown, but I'm confident that the right people are and will be looking at it.

11. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Sounds like a scary problem that needs to be rectified asap.

Does anyone really believe the stock price is affected because of this issue? It took a few fires to affect the stock price -- not posts on this forum. People can bash Tesla all day long here, or be a "blind faith fanboy", and the stock price won't be affected one iota.

It would sure be nice if people could deal with the issues, and debate people with opposing views respectfully, instead of name calling and telling people that someone with an opposing view is only doing so to protect their financial interest. People lose all credibility when they post such nonsense since we all know the stock price will not rise and fall with posts here.

12. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

Perhaps you've forgotten that Tesla cheaped out and didn't provide a sensor for either the headlights or the windshield wipers. It's all managed (or not) through the front cameras and software. Not exactly a brilliant design to save $30 IMHO.

13. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

I thought the Tesla Fan problem was overstated until I read this thread. Sorry OP for your experience, both on the road and here.

Looking forward to seeing how this is resolved.

• Like x 1
  14. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Reading through another thread, someone who was having problems with other AP2 features found that using the center screen power off button and waiting a couple minutes reset them. Have you and/or Tesla tried that for your situation?

Obviously not a real solution, but it might help narrow down the problem...

15. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

Based on you description it appears this issue is unique to your car - I would guess it's a faulty switch.

Given the information that you provided and that Tesla is already looking into this I find title of this thread sensational and think you are striving for attention.

• Disagree x 2
  16. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

Yeah, switch works fine when turned to ON or OFF but fails only sometimes when set to AUTO. Mighty fancy switch defect.

17. dc_h

dc_h Active Member

Sorry to hear about the defect issue. Regarding the reporting debate, it does seem like you have been forthright with Tesla and they have been slow to respond or openly acknowledge the issue. Sometimes IT people may not acknowledge issues, but still take your concerns seriously. Poor communications is not excused, but there may be more going on in the background to resolve than you know.
    In the long run, software and all services are made better, in the long run, but attentive customers who follow up. Issues are prioritized often by prioritizors--the people who keep after the service provider to resolve an issue.
    Solving something like this before something serious happens is paramount. Sure some hater might come across this, but mainstream media is more likely to cover a serious accident or loss of life.
    *Note, during 2012/2013 many early adapters did push to keep reported problems private. This almost certainly helped Tesla make it through the first year when the car was more beta than the car you see now.

18. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

OP whether this is a unique problem to your car or not, I appreciated being made aware of it regardless. I called it to my husband's attention since he's the one driving generally at night just so he was aware of it. Our 75 is a few months older than yours. I watched the videos and yes, losing your headlights like that, in pretty decent flow of traffic in darkness like that, would or should alarm anyone. I had a car a number of years back that while driving had an intermittent problem with stalling even at 50-60 mph and had the same fears of getting hit from behind when it happened. Thanks for the video/s. Fumbling with the screen, finding the settings while your feeling panic'd by being stealth in traffic like that is not what one wants to experience. The suggestion someone made to activate your high beams was helpful and something to remember to try.

• Like x 1
  19. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Although a camera is a sensor and does perform as a light sensor. I understand the comment though and having redundancy for safety issues with lights or wipers would be desirable IMO.

20. Zero CO2

Zero CO2 a long term goal

please explain the reason for folks
    overreaction ??? please explain toilets ... no lights ? yeah that apples to apples ... you continue to react proving your status

• Funny x 1