Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major UI problem in cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status update for anyone having similar problems: This issue was kind of entirely my fault - but I would have never guessed it in a million years.

The deep hibernation cold issue was caused by having ESPN set as the homepage on the internet browser. Apparently, having it constantly refreshing scores in the background while the car was off and charging caused the computer to shut down after a while. There was no mechanical issue. Now that a more static webpage is set as the homepage everything appears to be fine.

I didn't know enough about web design/tech to realize this could be the problem - and Im warning other users who may not be web savvy either.

I can't imagine they haven't thought about this before. I stream stock quotes very often in my car. Hope they fix this before they get mainstream as many people will have this problem. Tesla is an amazing company but on the software side they're lacking a little bit.

Status update for anyone having similar problems: This issue was kind of entirely my fault - but I would have never guessed it in a million years.

The deep hibernation cold issue was caused by having ESPN set as the homepage on the internet browser. Apparently, having it constantly refreshing scores in the background while the car was off and charging caused the computer to shut down after a while. There was no mechanical issue. Now that a more static webpage is set as the homepage everything appears to be fine.

I didn't know enough about web design/tech to realize this could be the problem - and Im warning other users who may not be web savvy either.

Sounds like a bug to me. If the car is off, why on earth should it be updating the web content? It should save what it can to cache and reload when the car is turned on fully (butt in chair).

Sounds like a bug to me. If the car is off, why on earth should it be updating the web content? It should save what it can to cache and reload when the car is turned on fully (butt in chair).

That's what I would do, and that's exactly what smartphones do (most of them). When you go off the screen, the browser app just becomes cached (dormant in RAM) only to be quickly awoken when the focus is brought back. When the car is snoozing, the web browser should be a VERY low priority application. Hell, the navigation app would suck more juice with pulling data from the 3G (or WiFi) of live traffic levels.

Surely this will make it into a near-future release of code.

Also, now that the real source of trouble is not cold weather related, the OP or mod should change the title of this thread. I came in here expecting to experience something similar since it's 30F in my garage right now.

This is good to know since I'm having the same problem in the cold weather. When the 17" screen is black, the car won't charge until it wakes up. I'll go set my web brower to google or another static website if anyone of a better one.

I acknowledge that this is an old thread. My 2013 Model S has started to have similar problems this winter where it has not displayed similar issues in the past four winters.

After sitting on charge for the night and especially when the night's low reached below ~35F/32F (it's a bit inconsistent), the following issues arise:
* Center console screen is black
* App is unable to connect
* Car may have lost 4-8 miles since receiving peak charge
* Dashboard display boots up slowly
* 30-90s delay between pressing brake and ability to shift into drive
* While driving: screen takes approx. 15-30 mins to reboot with double steering wheel button press for 5s, no blinker sound, 5 min after shifted into drive until previously set cabin heat turns on, no audio, and a number of other minor inconveniences

Side note: Sometimes, while the center console screen is still black, high beams cannot be turned on.
Side note: The corresponding fuse is in good condition.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Has anyone successfully remedied this issue, especially on such an old car? What was the successful remedy?

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Has anyone successfully remedied this issue, especially on such an old car? What was the successful remedy?
These are all pretty typical signs of a failing MCU. Assume you’re on the original MCU1? Have you had the recall done for the eMMC storage issue?

I think the cold is a red herring.

2014 Model S 85: I had a similar issue.
On a recent road trip, I parked on the street. Morning temperature was -39C (-38F). App did not work, said car did not respond. The centre screen was black. The driver's display said centre screen was not available. Charged at SC ok. Cabin heat was off, could not turn it on. Problem lasted 32 hours. Following day parked in the sun, by midafternoon centre screen woke up. However, driver's display still said centre screen was off. Things seem to be working as usual. Local Service this is expected.
Is this expected, normal, same as other's experiences?
If the cabin heat is off, and the centre screen is black, how do I get the heat on? Service recommended I park the car somewhere warm; awkward away from home.
The only solution I can think of is: regularly run cabin heat to keep centre screen warm.

I believe the centre screen specification says it’s operating temperature is from -40°C to +80°C (might be it wrong as remembering it from reading somewhere). That has also been noted on the user manual at some point. This winter been -21°C (-5.80°F)and have had no issues on app connection or preheating the car. Mine is 2016.3

These are all pretty typical signs of a failing MCU. Assume you’re on the original MCU1? Have you had the recall done for the eMMC storage issue?

I think the cold is a red herring.
I had the eMMC upgrade accomplished about 2 years ago. Do you think this would still be an issue considering the rest of the components are still MCU1? Do you think this would be resolved by getting the infotainment upgrade?