Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major US car dealer says "I have no problem with Tesla..." But...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jbcarioca

Norman Braman is a famously political (bankrolls Florida Republicans) car dealer who has very strong views.
He was the principal leader of the Florida dealer protection law that killed Porsche's 1984 effort to have factory owned outlets.

In today's NADA issue of Automotive News he speaks,making other things, about Tesla:

Braman: Factories interfere, and it's dangerous

This works both ways - I've encountered plenty of times when the dealer interfered with what the manufacturer was trying to do. The manufacturer is trying to present the brand in the best light and sell more cars. If a dealer provides a poor customer experience (and this can happen in all kinds of ways), it reflects on the brand.

I have no problem with the USA... But...

...having lived there and in other countries I find it very odd that the USA of all countries has laws in place to restrain the invisible hand of the free market - especially for a product that occupies such an important place in that country's culture.

On a related note, do people here think that GM's BEV will be marketed fairly by the US dealers?
I mean, Tesla's argument that a BEV requires less service should also apply to one from GM, making it a less long-term profitable sale for the dealer.

Or no?

Like happened with the Volt or Leaf, there will be some dealers that are enthusiastic about it, but many (most?) will either not stock the vehicle or stock the bare minimum and then try to push you to buy an ICE car (which they would have plenty of in stock).

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Like happened with the Volt or Leaf, there will be some dealers that are enthusiastic about it, but many (most?) will either not stock the vehicle or stock the bare minimum and then try to push you to buy an ICE car (which they would have plenty of in stock).

Exactly.

So either GM will stand idly by while their Bolt is not being sold or Tesla will no longer be the only car manufacturer to push for a reform of the US dealer laws.

Either way, Tesla wins (but probably the most in the latter case).