Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major vampire drain - 2018 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got some major vampire drain going on. I’m in a condo so not able to charge every night. 2 nights ago, I lost 4% between 10pm and 1pm; last night, I lost 7% between 10pm and 1pm. Sentry mode is off. Cabin overheat protection is off. Energy savings is on. No third party apps at all (like Teslafi). Temps are very very mild (60s and 70s).

I had to have my chargeport completely replaced a few weeks ago. It is then that I saw the increase in vampire drain because my battery charge had to last from the time I got the “unable to charge error” until my service center appointment.

My next appointment at the service center isn’t until early August. I’m hoping they’ll run remote diagnostics before that and resolve the issue so I don’t have to go in again.

Any other suggestions? I L2 charge and supercharge maybe 1-2x per month. Always to charge to max of 90% and never get below 20%.

thanks.

Still under 500 miles on my 2020 MX LR+, so learning what’s “normal”, but below is snapshot of last 2 days- no driving other than out of garage for a bit yesterday afternoon and besides that time, always plugged in. Charge limit set to 85% and not to start charging till after 9:15pm for when TOU is low. Sentry is off, not 100% sure about dashcam or if that even matters, it always seems to turn itself back on after turning off. I seem to lose about 4% in 24 hours. The other night for the first time it actually seemed to “sleep” and didn’t lose any, but not sure what or why it actually went to seep that night and not others.
D6E6111E-A59A-4B74-B230-EFFC15AA14BC.jpeg

I’m in the midst of testing but thought I’d share some of my results so far. The best result I had was 2 nights ago, when I unplugged my usb flash drive used for dash cam and also my car insurance tracker (metromile) from the 12V. I then did a hard reset (scroll wheels, buttons above, and brake). I left the car overnight at 70% and guess what. The next day 15 hours later, I had actually gained a percent and was at 71%. This is actually the second time I’ve gained a percent while being charged and I don’t know if this is indicative of something.

Last night, I again removed usb and metromile, and 15 hours later, I had lost 3%. The only difference was I did not do a hard reset.

Tonight, I will repeat what I did 2 nights ago to see if I again maintain (or gain!) charge.

Then I’ll try just removing one and not both.

Will report back.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
This all made me want to experiment too...

I verified dashcam and sentry were off (usb drive still plugged in), turned off cabin temp monitor and disconnected the home assistant plugin that was polling it every so often for the pretty data. Parked in the garage, unplugged, unlocked, 73% charge.

That was around 11am and now after 8pm, just went to check on it- interestingly, the mirrors were turned in and it had locked which I assume mean it went to sleep! Opened a door and sure enough, still at 73%!! Before, after almost 12 hours, it would have easily lost a few %.

I’ll leave it this way overnight and check again in the morning. Next test will be to leave it similar but plugged in. I have it set to charge at 9:15pm for TOU so it will be interesting if it keeps it awake waiting for that then sleeps after charging complete.

I suppose lastly I could turn back on the cabin heat protection and see if that affects anything- I’ve read mixed opinions on whether that affects sleep or not. I’m 99% sure my home assistant plugin definitely keeps it awake though, question is if it’s worth the penalty I guess.

This all made me want to experiment too...

I verified dashcam and sentry were off (usb drive still plugged in), turned off cabin temp monitor and disconnected the home assistant plugin that was polling it every so often for the pretty data. Parked in the garage, unplugged, unlocked, 73% charge.

That was around 11am and now after 8pm, just went to check on it- interestingly, the mirrors were turned in and it had locked which I assume mean it went to sleep! Opened a door and sure enough, still at 73%!! Before, after almost 12 hours, it would have easily lost a few %.

I’ll leave it this way overnight and check again in the morning. Next test will be to leave it similar but plugged in. I have it set to charge at 9:15pm for TOU so it will be interesting if it keeps it awake waiting for that then sleeps after charging complete.

I suppose lastly I could turn back on the cabin heat protection and see if that affects anything- I’ve read mixed opinions on whether that affects sleep or not. I’m 99% sure my home assistant plugin definitely keeps it awake though, question is if it’s worth the penalty I guess.

what’s the home assistance plugin?

I don’t want to derail this thread, but home assistant is an open source home automation server that runs locally and not cloud based like SmartThings and most of the others. They do allow connections to online services if necessary as “integrations” (not plugin like I originally said) and they do offer a Tesla integration.

It pulls all the data from the Tesla API as well as exposes controllable things like trunk, HVAC, etc so they can be tied in to automations or just controlled with the home dashboard.

Probably more of a novelty than anything - I enjoyed seeing and tracking the data it pulls in terms of battery/range etc. it’s equivalent to most of the 3rd party apps, but your credentials are local and aren’t exposed to anyone else.

Regardless, tying back to the original topic, I believe the constant connection collecting data prevents the car from going to sleep.

Glad to see you’re testing too @AMP-MX.

Unfortunately, I just checked my car and I lost 3% overnight despite seemingly doing the same thing I did a few nights ago when I gained a percent overnight.

Here is what I’m wondering, and maybe someone can shed some light. When dash cam came out, I bought a flash drive recommended by Teslatap that annoyingly then started throwing errors when Tesla started testing drive performance. It was still working most is the time, so I’ve kept it because it cost me close to $100! I am wondering now if all of those errors are causing issues even when I unplug the drive. I just received an adapter and SD card from Amazon so I plan on using that rather than the flash drive.

Kind of a newbie question, but how can you tell without third party apps like Teslafi if your car is going into a deep sleep at night?

Spinning my wheels and scratching my head over here after last night’s results. Thankful for any help or suggestions anyone throws my way.

You should also try the same vehicle procedure without removing either device as a control. Alternatively / at the very least, if your first one but not both is successful, you should test removing the other one but not both before deciding that the first one was the culprit.

thanks for this suggestion. Right now I’m trying to recreate losing no % and then I’ll move on to testing usb and 12v.

At 5:15pm I went out to the car and turned back on the cabin overheat protection (it’s in the garage so don’t expect it to run now, but wanted to see any impact of it just being “on” and monitoring it). According to that widget, just 15 minutes later now it’s “Asleep” and opening the actual Tesla app takes a little time and says “waking up” at the bottom.

Also, just got an update available notice for 2020.24.6.9 (from 2020.24.6.4). Updating is so tempting, but I want to try a few more things before throwing that variable in.

@RainyDays8 - the theory on bad USB is definitely interesting and fact there were errors before makes it questionable too. Some little thing definitely seems to be preventing sleeping.

My next test will be to plug it in soon and see if it goes to sleep while waiting for charging to begin at 9:15pm then how it behaves tomorrow after completing charge and still plugged in as well.

The only way I’m aware of to check on sleeping is with the iphone app, add the Tesla “widget” and keep the main Tesla app closed but checking there will reveal the current status- see example below
View attachment 565393

Thank you @AMP-MX! Just installed that widget and it’ll be interesting to watch it this evening and see if my car sleeps and how that affects charge in the morning. I also started using a micro SD card for dash cam and sentry. We will see how things improve for me moving forwards.

Tonight, goal is to recreate no battery loss. Will remove USB, metromile and do a hard reset. Will also make sure other settings are the same... COP off, sentry standby off, etc. It’s frustrating how settings seem to change every so often, so I’ll double check.

Will report back in the morning.