Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Warning Alarm Malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning while traveling to work on Autopilot everything was as smooth and functioning normally as usual when almost every warning alarm suddenly went off in my car at the same time for no apparent reason. I think the first to go off was the collision alarm even though there was no car or barrier in front of me. I've got a few false collision alarms in the past when there was a car but no immediate collision danger, i.e. the system misread the situation, so that by itself didn't totally surprise me but in this instance the audible warning alarm wasn't going off for just for a couple seconds for a few beeps like usual it kept on continuing. Then the alarm to take control of the vehicle came on followed by autopilot not available warning. Then other alarms came on at nearly the same time such as regen braking not available, power brake power reduced, tire pressure warning light, and others that I can't all recall. It was as if the car was going through a catastrophic failure, even though the car seemed to be driving normally. I could also quickly verify that the tire pressure was normal as well through the car status monitor on the driver display, so I knew that at least was a malfunction as well. Since the audible alarm wouldn't go off and was noisily annoying I pulled off the freeway to try and address this. Hazard lights automatically went on I believe after coming to a stop and couldn't be shut off through the physical button, and the alarm kept on going.

After trying to figure out what to do short of calling for Roadside Assistance, I decided to try rebooting both the center screen and driver display (which I learned how to do from this forum) and most of the warnings cleared and the audible warning alarm finally stopped. I ended up finishing my drive to work with only the power brake power reduced warning and no emergency braking available warning on and no autopilot functionality either. However, the car drove normally and the brakes did appear to function normally with no sense of power brake reduction so I believe both of these were still lingering false alarms (although I didn't test the emergency braking functionality). I was going to go into a service center after work today, but by the time I got in my car for lunch even those two alarms seemed to have cleared themselves and the car was back to normal as usual.

My purpose of sharing this is to see if anyone else experienced this sort of warning alarm malfunction. Obviously, it was the first time for me after owning the Model S for over a year so it was a somewhat disturbing experience. I'm hoping to just chalk it up to a one-off computer malfunction since the reboot seemed to resolve the problem, but I hope it's not indicative of a more serious problem that may repeat again.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dborn
I've had this happen a while ago. About 12 different kinds of errors/warnings popped up while I was driving and all kinds of features, such as Autopilot, AEB, power steering, etc., were unavailable. Took the car in for service and they found a loose wire connection somewhere.