Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Yoke concerns from Consumer Reports initial review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s painful to watch the mental gymnastics of those who must now justify to themselves why these new, demonstrably horrible primary control ergonomics are apparently good. For example, this video, in which ‘auto shift’ chooses ‘forward’ when the Tesla S LR is parked facing a metal dumpster; when the auxiliary ‘shifting buttons’ fail to engage multiple times during a short demo video; when the awkwardness of this formerly instaneous and satisfying control is palpable at every move, but this is somehow “pretty cool.”

No discussion of the yoke can take place without blasting Tesla for destroying primary control interactions.

As a certifiable Tesla evangelist with stock, a beloved pre-refresh S, and dozens of direct and indirect referrals, it breaks my heart to write this, but I will not buy the new S, nor will I recommend it.

It’s painful to watch the mental gymnastics of those who must now justify to themselves why these new, demonstrably horrible primary control ergonomics are apparently good. For example, this video, in which ‘auto shift’ chooses ‘forward’ when the Tesla S LR is parked facing a metal dumpster; when the auxiliary ‘shifting buttons’ fail to engage multiple times during a short demo video; when the awkwardness of this formerly instaneous and satisfying control is palpable at every move, but this is somehow “pretty cool.”

No discussion of the yoke can take place without blasting Tesla for destroying primary control interactions.

As a certifiable Tesla evangelist with stock, a beloved pre-refresh S, and dozens of direct and indirect referrals, it breaks my heart to write this, but I will not buy the new S, nor will I recommend it.
You have driven one though, right?

It works in a Tesla, but if it becomes habit, could be... intresting if someone exits a running classic car when not in park.
Indeed, on the rare occasion I have the misfortune to drive an ICE car with an automatic transmission, I’m annoyed how long it takes to come to a compete stop, shift into park, and get out. In my Tesla, I’m already halfway into the store LOL

- Turn your steering wheel at 90 degrees, and try to use blinkers without lifting your hands from it, and tell me if this is very different from what you can or cannot do with a yoke upside down.
- There are so many cars where it is clearly blocking the view of the instrument cluster, you can’t deny it.
- many people use it incorrectly, aka one hand only on the top part of it. The design makes it possible to do such dumb and dangerous usage.
With a round steering wheel, or with a yoke, I signal my turns long before I begin turning the steering. I cannot remember in my 50 years of driving where I started to signal after my steering was upside down. Don't be silly.

With a round steering wheel, or with a yoke, I signal my turns long before I begin turning the steering. I cannot remember in my 50 years of driving where I started to signal after my steering was upside down. Don't be silly.
This is CR trying to demonstrate that the buttons for turn signal on the yoke is a bad idea by trying to use them when the yoke is upside down, not me ! I perfectly know that blinkers should be enabled BEFORE applying any angle to the steering wheel or whatever you use. That’s why I’m saying it is no different from trying to do the same with a round steering wheel rotated at 90´.

Please. Enlighten us.

If you watched the full video, everything CR says about the yoke is 100% accurate. It does nothing to enhance the driving experience outside of going in a straight line. Which is not how people drive.

If Tesla’s goal is mass-EV adoption, this is a huge fail. Tesla enthusiasts may be willing to learn to live with this abomination but the general driving public will not.

So is the mission to get people into EVs? Or to alienate buyers? Because the yoke cannot accomplish both.
Until every Tesla (and every other EV) has the yoke as the only option, I think your concern about Tesla’s mission is overblown.

Reactions: WhiteWi
New to the forum and don’t blast me but I have to say after only a day I have gone from very uncomfortable and hating the yoke, to really liking the improvements that it’s offering. It’s different. Definitely not the same as the cars I have owned before but that’s what we love about Tesla. This my 4th one and the buying experience is all I hate about this car.

This is CR trying to demonstrate that the buttons for turn signal on the yoke is a bad idea by trying to use them when the yoke is upside down, not me ! I perfectly know that blinkers should be enabled BEFORE applying any angle to the steering wheel or whatever you use. That’s why I’m saying it is no different from trying to do the same with a round steering wheel rotated at 90´.
There are many instances on tight city streets where one must signal the opposite turn in mid turn, also exiting round-abouts. True, most people simply don’t signal, but they should, and the cops still give hefty tickets for not signaling. A bigger problem is finding the horn if you really need it when the yoke is turned. There’s no way to defend their decision to move the horn off the center hub.

Reactions: croman and Dan D.
I drive a lot so it's important for me to have a full circle of the steering wheel for me to work on and not just 1/2. Yokes work great in a race track but not for my practical use.

I will hold off as long as I can until a full steering wheel will be available: Either from Tesla or from a third party.
Thing is with race cars with yokes (like F1/Indycar) drivers can reach full steering lock with like half a turn of the yoke. They don't need to spin around the yoke a full 360 (or more) to drive effectively. With the yoke on the Tesla, it doesn't turn any quicker than a regular steering wheel, resulting in the awkward fumbling with the yoke while trying to make full lock turns. And probably 98% of people could not drive safely with an F1-style steering lock.

Reactions: croman and Tam
Until every Tesla (and every other EV) has the yoke as the only option, I think your concern about Tesla’s mission is overblown.
So they only seek to alienate potential buyers of their flagship vehicles?

So far S, X, CT, and Roadster are designed with the yoke. What makes you think it isn’t coming to the 3/Y? And if its such a great idea, then why wouldn’t it.

People who are in favor of the yoke seem to want to have their cake and eat it too. “The yoke is great! …but they don’t have it on the 3/Y because that would turn off buyers.”

What?

So they only seek to alienate potential buyers of their flagship vehicles?

So far S, X, CT, and Roadster are designed with the yoke. What makes you think it isn’t coming to the 3/Y? And if its such a great idea, then why wouldn’t it.

People who are in favor of the yoke seem to want to have their cake and eat it too. “The yoke is great! …but they don’t have it on the 3/Y because that would turn off buyers.”

What?
Same could be said about the single screen. Remember how blasphemous that was?

Reactions: WhiteWi