Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Yoke concerns from Consumer Reports initial review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If someone were to ask me "WHY do you love the steering WHEEL?" I wouldn't have an answer either. What I see is that people grew up with, learned with, did road trips with, got used to a wheel, and they find it hard to change to anything different. I'm not sure why they think this is the end of the world. If anyone wants to buy a new Model S long range plus and it comes with a yoke, I'd be happy to switch with them. I'm sure one advantage would be that I could slide my long legs under the yoke more easily than the wheel. My car is only a year old, which should be acceptable for trade as the yoke is such a "disaster". I'm near San Francisco. Any takers???

A couple days of mixed driving, and I’ve concluded for myself it’s fine. All turning feels the same: 3 point, u-turn, wide and narrow left/rights. I enjoy resting my hands on top of it during autopilot, more comfortable than a traditional wheel. I wish it wasn’t so wide.

Turn signals are fine, wish they weren’t capacitive, I hit them correctly almost all the time now. I just can’t figure out light/heavy presses so I opt to heavy press and just turn off the blinker after changing lanes.

Horn as a button sucks, I want the pleasure and satisfaction of slamming the wheel/yoke. And if they wanted it as a button, it should be where the mic button is for more hands to be able to reach.

It‘s not life changing in a positive or negative way for me. Car wouldn’t have improved with a steering wheel for me. I find myself pressing where the turn signals would’ve been on the yoke on my Y now. My mom got the hang of it after 20 minutes of driving, she was complaining more about the size of the car and how wide it is. If it’s your daily driver, chances are you’ll get used to it, it’s just if you’re willing too or comfortable enough to try.

First cars actually used tillers, borrowed from boats. They switched to wheels because cars got heavier and tillers needed to be very long to support the momentum to turn the car. In fact, first wheels were short tillers that rotate multiple times. They switched to wheels because the driver does not need to worry about the short tiller position - the wheel is round; you can always grab it somewhere. Then the wheels became progressively larger until the invention of assisted steering. At that point they became progressively smaller.
Yokes came from the airplanes. First airplanes used sticks but, as the airplanes became larger, sudden changes in direction became undesirable, so yoke was introduced. It is also very convenient to attach checklists, flight plans, etc. to it. Still, the stick reigns where maneuverability is important.
Tesla did not invent the yoke; it has been used in sports cars for decades. It replaced the wheel because of the quicker turning, smaller size and ability to put a ton of buttons under the driver’s thumb.
There are major differences between a sports car yoke and Tesla yoke, probably the biggest one is the turning. By standard, road cars must have 2 1/2 turns each direction (leftover from the time when we did not have assisted steering). Sports cars (e.g. F1) has almost 1/2 turn each direction. The result is that the F1 driver hands _never_ change position relative to the yoke. Hence, button positions relative to the hands never change. Using them does not require thinking where they are - which could result in up to 0.5s delay in reaction time.
From my perspective, Tesla made a mistake with the yoke because they did not go all the way and offer shorter steering like the sport cars. The combination of the “old” 2 1/2 turn plus the yoke is the problem, not the yoke by itself. Yes, it does look cool but without the steering adjustment it is actually dangerous.

The turn signals are really far from my concern. I had a chance to practice with them last week and found them easy to use. Just sit in your driveway and play with them for 10 minutes. Keep practicing until you can do it with your eyes closed. Practice both the light and deep touch. It will become second nature in no time.

Reactions: WhiteWi
If someone were to ask me "WHY do you love the steering WHEEL?" I wouldn't have an answer either. What I see is that people grew up with, learned with, did road trips with, got used to a wheel, and they find it hard to change to anything different. I'm not sure why they think this is the end of the world. If anyone wants to buy a new Model S long range plus and it comes with a yoke, I'd be happy to switch with them. I'm sure one advantage would be that I could slide my long legs under the yoke more easily than the wheel. My car is only a year old, which should be acceptable for trade as the yoke is such a "disaster". I'm near San Francisco. Any takers???
There is a significant difference in the two questions. The yoke is objectively inferior to the wheel. It offers literally zero benefits and several disadvantages (you can argue if those disadvantages and the lower safety are significant or insignificant but they exist). So for someone to love an objectively less functional and less safe option asking why is a real question. To ask someone why they love the established standard which offers more options, mores safety and is more proven is a totally different question. I'm waiting on the Cybertruck not the S and the yoke is just non-functional for towing and backing up so it is absolutely a deal breaker for me personally hence my interest in the topic. Secondarily as someone long on TSLA with quite a bit of stock I dislike seeing the company make decisions that, if/when they proliferate to the cheaper models, will IMO cause a significant decrease in sales and damage my investment.

There is a significant difference in the two questions. The yoke is objectively inferior to the wheel. It offers literally zero benefits and several disadvantages (you can argue if those disadvantages and the lower safety are significant or insignificant but they exist). So for someone to love an objectively less functional and less safe option asking why is a real question. To ask someone why they love the established standard which offers more options, mores safety and is more proven is a totally different question. I'm waiting on the Cybertruck not the S and the yoke is just non-functional for towing and backing up so it is absolutely a deal breaker for me personally hence my interest in the topic. Secondarily as someone long on TSLA with quite a bit of stock I dislike seeing the company make decisions that, if/when they proliferate to the cheaper models, will IMO cause a significant decrease in sales and damage my investment.
It’s an automatic transmission safer than a manual?

OMG, you hit the nail on the head. It infuriates me to no end when I am sitting at a red light, and the driver in front of me decides to put his blinker on only after the light turns green! Turn on your signal BEFORE you change lanes/make a turn. The purpose of a turn signal is exactly that: signaling other people of your intent, not to let them know that you are turning when you already are. UGH.

You guys have never seen a roundabout? Here in the EU just about every intersection is getting replaced by one. In the roundabout blinking is to be started when you are IN the roundabout.

Reactions: Dan_Foster
Roundabout are probably the place where using stalks for turn signal is the worse. When you have both hands on the steering wheel, turning left to go around it, you are nowhere near the stalks. You must lift your left hand off it and then activé the turn signal to the right, doing a move upward. With a yoke, you will have the right turn signal button just below your thumb. That is a perfect example where it totally make sense to get rid of stalks.
So yeah, you can say whatever you want, but stalks are not ideal in many conditions.

No, most roundabouts here replace tiny intersections. Wheel is upside down when driving through it. Stalk is easy and safe, yoke is a joke. I bet Elon never tested it in the EU.

Reactions: Matias
No, most roundabouts here replace tiny intersections. Wheel is upside down when driving through it. Stalk is easy and safe, yoke is a joke. I bet Elon never tested it in the EU.
I make quick turns in other places too, say turning sharp left at a tight intersection - turning the wheel more than 90° - then making an immediate fast right into a gas station. With the turn signal stalk your hands are already moving clockwise as the left turn unwinds so it's simple to engage the stalk to indicate the right turn as you pass by it, brush by it to indicate once or sweep it fully with the finger to keep it active. You'd have to be very accurate to engage the yoke button with the yoke turned over. Plus you don't really have a lot of time to hold the haptic button as the whole maneuver is split-second.

Making a second quick left turn after a left turn is unwinding is tricky with the stalk. The stalk self-cancels and you have to reengage it in the opposite direction to the way the wheel is turning - because the wheel is unwinding clockwise just before you want to turn again to the left. I can't picture doing this with the yoke, but since the yoke signal self-cancels too it probably would have to be relandmarked and reapplied with the same need to be accurately placed.

Those comparing to indicating turns with a motorcycle's buttons are silly. Your hands are in the same spot all the time on a bike and the turning is minimal. No comparison. Same for comparing to a racecar (or airplane), where the use for a street car is totally different.

Some people say pressing the haptic button is not always successful, you need a certain stabbing motion. I'm sure you'd get used to it, but it's too bad it's not a physical moving button really. Having to hold the haptic button down to engage it for continuous flashing, sounds like it takes longer than slamming a turn stalk into full engaged, anyone compared the two as to which is quicker?

In the very cold climates you have to wear gloves to drive. Heated steering wheels are nice for the palms but not enough for the hands and fingers until the cabin is warm. Will be interesting to see if haptic touch buttons work with typical winter gloves. Yes, there are workarounds, pre-heat the car if you have time, get special touchscreen gloves perhaps. Do haptic buttons work with very cold fingers? Some people I know are unable to activate touchscreens with their fingers (see Zombie Fingers), would that be a problem for haptic buttons?

Last edited:
Reactions: bruce4000
Yoke is a non issue if:
1) You live in the US where they have not really invented the benefits of the roundabouts yet, and
2) You are willing to use something that is usability wise worse than a regular wheel.

The car itself is cool enough that many people in the US are probably OK with all of it. It's not even that common for you guys to use trailers, here in the EU they are very common and the yoke certainly doesn't make that any easier either.

To also summarize the pro yoke arguments briefly:
1) It looks cool, and
2) It gives better visibility to the screen in front.

Argument number two is just plain nuts. You should NOT be looking at the screen in front, you should be looking at the road ahead. Overall it sounds like the argument is from someone who doesn't really understand the concept of safe driving.