Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Yoke concerns from Consumer Reports initial review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything is obscure until you know about it. Are the center of steering wheels embossed press here to activate horn?
YES! They are embossed with the horn symbol.

I looked at Honda, Hyundai, Mazda, BMW, Ford and then stopped. They all have the horn symbol.
As does the Tesla Model S yoke , but not the "cover all the buttons" alternative method, so yes it's obscure.

YES! They are embossed with the horn symbol.

I looked at Honda, Hyundai, Mazda, BMW, Ford and then stopped. They all have the horn symbol.
As does the Tesla Model S yoke , but not the "cover all the buttons" alternative method, so yes it's obscure.
i know they have the symbol, but how am I supposed to know I need to press the whole center airbag assembly and how hard? There’s no button where the emboss is.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Thanks for your thoughts here, Boza.
By standard, road cars must have 2 1/2 turns each direction (leftover from the time when we did not have assisted steering). Sports cars (e.g. F1) has almost 1/2 turn each direction. The result is that the F1 driver hands _never_ change position relative to the yoke. Hence, button positions relative to the hands never change. Using them does not require thinking where they are - which could result in up to 0.5s delay in reaction time.
From my perspective, Tesla made a mistake with the yoke because they did not go all the way and offer shorter steering like the sport cars. The combination of the “old” 2 1/2 turn plus the yoke is the problem, not the yoke by itself. Yes, it does look cool but without the steering adjustment it is actually dangerous.
I'd love to see this as a configuration (hardware) or adjustable (settings) consideration by Tesla.

Can you please elaborate? I was an early 2013, so I arrived about a year late. We all had , what I think was called, a yacht floor, with no center console, and the two lousy cup holders under the arm rest, which persisted until this refresh.
The original S had what a (A) cavity that was later dubbed (IIRC) "Opportunity Console", which was carpeted. The aftermarket filled the void with various options.

Later the (B) optional "Tesla Center Console" was introduced. (C) "Yacht Floor" was also a cavity but the surface was shiny, rather than carpeted. I forget which order these two arrived in.

My "nitpicker's" point was that "Yacht Floor" was not original. I prefer the original cavity to the Yacht Floor.

(A) Original
2014-Tesla-Model-S-interior-04.jpg

(B) Console
2017-Tesla-Model-S-P100D-interior.jpg

(C) Yacht
maxresdefault.jpg

The original S had what a (A) cavity that was later dubbed (IIRC) "Opportunity Console", which was carpeted. The aftermarket filled the void with various options.

Later the (B) optional "Tesla Center Console" was introduced. (C) "Yacht Floor" was also a cavity but the surface was shiny, rather than carpeted. I forget which order these two arrived in.

My "nitpicker's" point was that "Yacht Floor" was not original. I prefer the original cavity to the Yacht Floor.

(A) Original
2014-Tesla-Model-S-interior-04.jpg

(B) Console
2017-Tesla-Model-S-P100D-interior.jpg

(C) Yacht
maxresdefault.jpg
The yacht floor came before the center console.

• Helpful
Reactions: brianman
It’s painful to watch the mental gymnastics of those who must now justify to themselves why these new, demonstrably horrible primary control ergonomics are apparently good. For example, this video, in which ‘auto shift’ chooses ‘forward’ when the Tesla S LR is parked facing a metal dumpster; when the auxiliary ‘shifting buttons’ fail to engage multiple times during a short demo video; when the awkwardness of this formerly instaneous and satisfying control is palpable at every move, but this is somehow “pretty cool.”

No discussion of the yoke can take place without blasting Tesla for destroying primary control interactions.

As a certifiable Tesla evangelist with stock, a beloved pre-refresh S, and dozens of direct and indirect referrals, it breaks my heart to write this, but I will not buy the new S, nor will I recommend it.
Long time TSLA holder, owner of a 2013 S and a 2018 3. Amen, I’m seriously pissed off with Tesla’s missteps.

I know what will bring change to Tesla. It’s not going to be a popular comment here, if I make it though. 😌

Reactions: Dan_Foster
Oh, so the standard to rate this is when accidents start occurring? Are you for real?

This is another example of a solution looking for a problem. Tesla seriously screwed up on this one.

Fanboy comments not withstanding.
If the yoke is dangerous then it follows that it will cause accidents. Where are they?

If the yoke is dangerous then it follows that it will cause accidents. Where are they?
Agreed. As much as the yoke annoys me at times (less so with this incoming .36 update), I don’t think it’s dangerous. That thought process might change if one lost control in e.g. slippery conditions. Recovering with a yoke is going to be tougher than a full wheel.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Actually, if Tesla is moving in the direction of self driving, adding a feature that impairs the driver for the sake of fashion/novelty makes a lot of sense. If you look at the controversial features in the refreshed S - yoke, buttons, switching forward/reverse - they will become non-issue if the car was driving itself. Even the firmware updates are becoming more and more “intrusive” - the car decides when to turn off the blinkers, how to wash the windshield, etc.
The yoke may just be part of the FSD journey.

Actually, if Tesla is moving in the direction of self driving, adding a feature that impairs the driver for the sake of fashion/novelty makes a lot of sense. If you look at the controversial features in the refreshed S - yoke, buttons, switching forward/reverse - they will become non-issue if the car was driving itself. Even the firmware updates are becoming more and more “intrusive” - the car decides when to turn off the blinkers, how to wash the windshield, etc.
Except for the immediate future (and perhaps quite some time after) people still have to drive these things. That makes all of these issues/concerns extremely relevant right now.

Reactions: Boza
So auto cancelling signals are now intrusive?

So auto cancelling signals are now intrusive?
Until FSD (and all other “predictive” features like whether the car should go forward or reverse) are better than an experienced driver, they are intrusive, to an extend. Don’t get me wrong - I love the ability to turn on FSD on the highway so that I can quickly change tune or simply relax. But I insist on the option of easily overriding it if I determine that it is not performing. For example, the car is definitely more often wrong in selecting forward/reverse than a human (there are already videos about it). However, overriding it is way more complicated than it used to be.
That is not a criticism of the refreshed S only (albeit, it took the issue to a whole new level). I have a Raven and after a few tries I disabled the auto wipers - they were far inferior than my 15 years old Audi. I am in a fully manual mode until they fix the issue (if ever) and I do not have a problem with that.
If an automated system is inferior to human there must be an easy and quick way to override. Ideally, also the ability to learn :)

Wired I have zero problems with auto wipers.
For me, a lot of times they turn on without enough water on the windshield or do not turn on when I need them. Granted, to a large extent, that is personal preference.
A simple UI with a sensitivity slider could probably solve the issue (the Audi had an adjustment wheel on the stoke).

Agreed. As much as the yoke annoys me at times (less so with this incoming .36 update), I don’t think it’s dangerous. That thought process might change if one lost control in e.g. slippery conditions. Recovering with a yoke is going to be tougher than a full wheel.
I don't know if the yoke is dangerous, perhaps risky. But how do we know there haven't been accidents? Would every guardrail scrape, damaged bumper, broken wrist or thumb be in the news? Doubtful any major crash would be reported as due to the yoke either. It might be a factor maybe.

I expect there could be a change in turn signal usage too, but how would we know about that? A key market is going to be Europe with its narrower roads and different driving challenges. I still feel a round wheel is going to be offered to them, despite Elon's refusals.

I really don't how so many people are having such a difficult time with the yoke. I was very against it before delivery, but now I find it so easy to drive. With the new hard press and auto off turn signals, the car is a breeze to drive. How hard is it to remember top is right and bottom is left? There is even a raised line for your to feel it. You guys can't be that incapable? I don't see how moving a stock up for right and down for left is any different then pressing a top button for right and bottom button for left is. Now it even auto off's like a normal stalk. For the horn I just press the whole left side with my hand and it works fine for me. I don't see people complaining about Ferraris not having stalks. I guess people smart enough to afford a Ferrari can figure out turn signal and horn buttons. If it is that bad, just sell the car or don't take delivery. Tesla is only going to move forward with yoke wheels.