Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Make FSD Transferable - Sign the Petition!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1087.jpeg

SIGN HERE: Sign the Petition

You paid thousands for Full Self-Driving that has yet to become reality. Having to pay for it a 2nd time at a much higher amount stops me and so many others from upgrading their Tesla.

Us Tesla owners love to have the new versions and are willing to pay for regular upgrades, but with a $15,000 penalty, it doesn't make sense.

Elon Musk can easily make it transferable to a new vehicle which I am sure would significantly drive sales.

I and a large number of my friends would buy a new one tomorrow if FSD was transferable!

Win-Win!

I finally got most of the features of FSD on my 2017 Model S and bought a new Plaid Model S with AP only. I need to sell the old one but no one is willing to pay much for the full self driving. I’m not willing to pay again since it has lost most of its value. It would seem Tesla would want the additional exposure on the newest cars to show the capability and progress. It only took 6 years to get what I have now but it still has a long way to go.
Not much to show off on new cars. It’s junk.

I was planning to replace my newest Tesla w/ FSD at 3-4 years (soonish now) with the then current model. But with current FSD pricing I'll likely just keep the car for 6-8 years instead; or look at another brand. Polestar has a nice sensor suite but not much you can do with it yet.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Just in case anyone is following this thread and hasn't heard the news. It's transferrable now.

No reason to start a conversation here about it. All details are located here...

Reactions: APotatoGod
Yeah I posted somewhere else too start of the week.

Sadly it’s supposed to only apply to purchases in Q3, per Musk, and they can’t guarantee delivery in Q3.

But we’re already in Q3 and nothing official has been posted either.

Unfortunately for anyone that’s been waiting to trade in for the Model 3 Highland it appears based on currently limited information it doesn’t seem like you’ll be able to take advantage of this offer. That could be a notable number of people.

People looking to get a Y, S or X should be fine most likely. Personally I was waiting on Highland at a minimum so if I can’t get one under this program I’ll just be holding onto the current car for a few years more.

It'll come back. As soon as sales slow. Just like FUSC. It went away and came back 3 times.

Maybe. Hopefully. If so I’d do it when Highland comes out. Overdose I’ll just add the extended warranty and keep the car another 2-3 years.

I’d consider doing it now on a Y but the HW4 MY doesn’t offer enough to me over my HW3 M3.

It’s kind of SCREWED of Tesla to say if your new car isn’t purchase complete by end of Q3 you loose the transfer; regardless of when you purchased during Q3.

It'll come back. As soon as sales slow. Just like FUSC. It went away and came back 3 times.
Maybe, but don’t be too sure it will happen any year soon. That’s what lots of people said when FSD prices were slashed for a short time in April 2019. Four years and three months later, there has been no second sale. Instead FSD prices have rocketed up to an absurd level.

View attachment 910869

SIGN HERE: Sign the Petition

You paid thousands for Full Self-Driving that has yet to become reality. Having to pay for it a 2nd time at a much higher amount stops me and so many others from upgrading their Tesla.

Us Tesla owners love to have the new versions and are willing to pay for regular upgrades, but with a $15,000 penalty, it doesn't make sense.

Elon Musk can easily make it transferable to a new vehicle which I am sure would significantly drive sales.

I and a large number of my friends would buy a new one tomorrow if FSD was transferable!

Win-Win!
They still have not delivered FSD that was promised; Now that Elon is listening to his lawyers, I am not ready to sign away L5 because the current FSD description does not contain that. Also, I would like the transfers be unconditional i.e. it will be allowed to be transferred to a new vehicle till the program is out of BETA and all features have been delivered

If all the cars didn’t come with the cameras and computers pre installed I think we would be in a different place because you would be buying $15k in hardware that would have a clear resale value. Instead you’re paying $15k for a one time use software license that can’t even be resold without complications and drastically reducing its value.

The $15k licenses should be transferable to similar cars. Like moving from a 3 to an S, a Y to a 3, a HW3 car to a HW4 car.

But I would say it should be transferrable from say a HW2 to HW5 (future) car.

Or offer up to 3 transfers with a $1-2k fee after the first free one.

If they offered better transfers I would be replacing it every few years. Unfortunately for them (and me) I’ll be holding in to the current one for a while.

I’m currently looking at the $2k warranty extension to keep the car longer instead of buying two more cars in the same time.

I finally got most of the features of FSD on my 2017 Model S and bought a new Plaid Model S with AP only. I need to sell the old one but no one is willing to pay much for the full self driving. I’m not willing to pay again since it has lost most of its value. It would seem Tesla would want the additional exposure on the newest cars to show the capability and progress. It only took 6 years to get what I have now but it still has a long way to go.
That's depressing but understandable. If only the team was close to nailing it versus questionable performance from one wet dream-break through after another.

Sadly, if TESLA isn’t willing to pay much if anything for a trade in or used car with full FSD on it (and sell it as such even with next to no price premium) then yes nobody else really will pay that premium either.

Tesla has an infinite supply of FSD at zero cost, while other buyers do not. There is a difference.

They could Dramistically increase the amount of people who buy FSD, if they made it transferable.
I don't think they want to sell FSD to Everyone right now though. They want to 1) Charge $200+/month for it, or 2) Charge $50k or more for it when its finally "done". The early FSD buyers will get screwed because that ultimately isn't the market Tesla is interested in.

The early FSD buyers will get screwed because that ultimately isn't the market Tesla is interested in.
Yes and no. The early FSD buyers were promised A LOT more than today's definition of feature complete. (Hands free, Tesla Uber, etc..) Until that's all delivered, Tesla still owes it. Whether that comes in the form of more hardware upgrades or cash refunds, remains to be seen.

We really won't ever know since it'll be years before they hit level 4, which is all most people really care about. IF it ever hits level 4 and the 2016-17 folks get left behind, I can see big lawsuits for a new car with compatible hardware. Lucky for Tesla, they probably won't hit Level 4 in most of our lifetimes so I don't think they have anything to worry about.

E8FDA597-7709-4F19-B111-7C4125B8E2BD.pngFEB38A6E-174D-4B31-8AF3-D827E4177FA0.png

Last edited: