Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Make FSD Transferable - Sign the Petition!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1087.jpeg

SIGN HERE: Sign the Petition

You paid thousands for Full Self-Driving that has yet to become reality. Having to pay for it a 2nd time at a much higher amount stops me and so many others from upgrading their Tesla.

Us Tesla owners love to have the new versions and are willing to pay for regular upgrades, but with a $15,000 penalty, it doesn't make sense.

Elon Musk can easily make it transferable to a new vehicle which I am sure would significantly drive sales.

I and a large number of my friends would buy a new one tomorrow if FSD was transferable!

Win-Win!

For me this is a no brainer. There is absolutely no chance that I buy FSD because I don't know how or what will happen with HW3 cars. But I could consider it if I knew that there would be a change of working on my HW3 and if not I a new purchase in couple of years.

They are loosing money from many people in situation similar as mine. Loosing demand of people that are holding their old cars that have FSD and giving away a really strong opportunity for costumers retention.
Exactly!

I totally get where you guys are coming from. I'd want that too. I can buy 5 Tesla cars and only have to pay once for the package. Saves me loads of money. But that's lots of money Tesla doesn't get to make. Look at it from their point of view. They're losing money on the deal. Repeat buyer numbers are huge for Tesla. In their eyes you're going to be buying another Tesla anyway. And there's a chance that you'll want that capability and will pay for it again (many do). If not, there's another chance that you'll miss the features and start a subscription. More money for them.

If I buy 5 Tesla cars over the years, and only pay for the FSD package once, Tesla made some amount on me (probably early days $6K) and that's it. If I never buy FSD again, they still made the same amount on me - $6K. But, if there is any chance that someone will pick up the FSD package again on a subsequent car purchase, that's additional revenue that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

I know, I know - "But if they allow the transfer, I'd definitely buy another Tesla again. Without that, I won't be buying another Tesla car. It fosters brand loyalty." The company is looking at the numbers right now and brand loyalty for Tesla is still very high, even without offering a transfer feature. So right now it doesn't make sense financially for them to do this. If brand loyalty and market conditions shift negative enough in the future, Tesla will likely pivot their policies to encourage sales. It's how the free market works.

When you see Ford have a huge sale on trucks, it's in response to market conditions. People started buying other brands, or inflation curbed spending from consumers. Ford isn't just going to have a huge sale on trucks when their truck sales are doing very well.

Again, I get it. I totally do. You just need to look at it from the seller's point of view.

I totally get where you guys are coming from. I'd want that too. I can buy 5 Tesla cars and only have to pay once for the package. Saves me loads of money. But that's lots of money Tesla doesn't get to make. Look at it from their point of view. They're losing money on the deal. Repeat buyer numbers are huge for Tesla. In their eyes you're going to be buying another Tesla anyway. And there's a chance that you'll want that capability and will pay for it again (many do). If not, there's another chance that you'll miss the features and start a subscription. More money for them.

If I buy 5 Tesla cars over the years, and only pay for the FSD package once, Tesla made some amount on me (probably early days $6K) and that's it. If I never buy FSD again, they still made the same amount on me - $6K. But, if there is any chance that someone will pick up the FSD package again on a subsequent car purchase, that's additional revenue that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

I know, I know - "But if they allow the transfer, I'd definitely buy another Tesla again. Without that, I won't be buying another Tesla car. It fosters brand loyalty." The company is looking at the numbers right now and brand loyalty for Tesla is still very high, even without offering a transfer feature. So right now it doesn't make sense financially for them to do this. If brand loyalty and market conditions shift negative enough in the future, Tesla will likely pivot their policies to encourage sales. It's how the free market works.

When you see Ford have a huge sale on trucks, it's in response to market conditions. People started buying other brands, or inflation curbed spending from consumers. Ford isn't just going to have a huge sale on trucks when their truck sales are doing very well.

Again, I get it. I totally do. You just need to look at it from the seller's point of view.
I think you’re missing the point. People keep paying for the same FSD package over many years for different cars…… and never get to use it since FSD isn’t out.

It was promised years ago, never came out, if I had 3 cars since thinking Elon’s word is legit, I would’ve spend at least $30,000 on FSD packages…. And until today, still not get to use actual FSD. (Not talking about the beta garbage here)

I think you are wrong. Why would they lower the price of their vehicle by $13k if they are so confident about demand? Did you see how many vehicles were sitting on the lots before they lowered the price and how large the online stock was?

And I really believe that the number of new vehicles they would sell would far outweigh the loss of revenue from FSD. Also - I'm pretty sure car sales #'s are more important than total revenue.

Reactions: Ccsdk and sjg98
I think you are wrong. Why would they lower the price of their vehicle by $13k if they are so confident about demand? Did you see how many vehicles were sitting on the lots before they lowered the price and how large the online stock was?

And I really believe that the number of new vehicles they would sell would far outweigh the loss of revenue from FSD. Also - I'm pretty sure car sales #'s are more important than total revenue.
Because the government incentive programs kicked in and had a threshold to qualify. Tesla had to work to get a modification to the program for the Y to qualify. Hence the price drop.

From the Wall Street Journal:

Buyers of certain American-made EVs are eligible for $7,500 tax incentives under the Inflation Reduction Act. Electric carmaker Tesla has slashed the price of some of its high-priced models, making the vehicles eligible for $7,500 tax incentives as traditional auto companies begin to claw away EV market share.

I want to sign a pettion to make it free. But definitely you should be able to transfer this scam and not be scammed again.

FSD is over hyped over rated Elon trash. I am a new MYPR owner and rented the FSD for the month. It requires more work than driving to constantly shake the steering wheel, flakes out if you move the wheel too much when they say you are not moving it enough. Screws up constantly on left turn lanes and other scenarios, I can go on and on.

Perhaps old timer teslas had better FSD before they tightened the screws due to DBags that did stupid things to the car. Anyhow since its a Beta test version they should pay is to use it and bill their investors. Even new buyers, unless cash means nothing, should not buy this crap. I hope they dont and test it first for the 200. I am not even going to buy the 6000 version.
For now the 6000 version does not even have one its more fun features the summon.

Having ranted above I still think the car is otherwesie awesome and the best EV for the money.

I want to sign a pettion to make it free. But definitely you should be able to transfer this scam and not be scammed again.

FSD is over hyped over rated Elon trash. I am a new MYPR owner and rented the FSD for the month. It requires more work than driving to constantly shake the steering wheel, flakes out if you move the wheel too much when they say you are not moving it enough. Screws up constantly on left turn lanes and other scenarios, I can go on and on.

Perhaps old timer teslas had better FSD before they tightened the screws due to DBags that did stupid things to the car. Anyhow since its a Beta test version they should pay is to use it and bill their investors. Even new buyers, unless cash means nothing, should not buy this crap. I hope they dont and test it first for the 200. I am not even going to buy the 6000 version.
For now the 6000 version does not even have one its more fun features the summon.

Having ranted above I still think the car is otherwesie awesome and the best EV for the money.
You tried it recently? the version that came out a couple months ago really made it usable. I use it for parts of every drive. Still not done and plenty of flaws, but usable and shows me that they can make it work.

I'd like to imagine a world where FSD is just based on your Tesla account.

I think they're already laying the groundwork for this with cloud profiles and single stack.

Sooner or later every car is going to have FSD in the mainline stable software releases. At this point, FSD access can just follow the driver profile. You could set a "primary" car for all drivers to have FSD access on, but any other car you jump in has FSD enabled on your profile.

Allow current owners a one time chance to "transfer" FSD from their car, to their Tesla account, which strips it from the car level.

Then they don't have to worry about people complaining about retrofits or hardware at all because YOU own FSD, not the car.

Buy FSD once, you'll get all future upgrades until the eventual paid FSD2.0 or whatever.

Reactions: Ccsdk and Ramphex
If the price was always 5-6k I could see it just being another feature, hell I have options on some cars that cost more then that. But 15k for an option that just has never come to fruition, or how about the people who picked up there brand new Teslas in the last 10 days that paid for FSD and cannot even install it for god knows how long. I find the technology amazing which is one of the main reason I purchased a MSP, but I made sure to buy one a year old that some other guy lost 60k on. Frankly I think anyone who's buying one of these cars new and paying for FSD is a bit nut considering the resale value on them, I can only hope my MSP doesn't lose too much more, considering sticker was 154 and I picked it up for 95

You tried it recently? the version that came out a couple months ago really made it usable. I use it for parts of every drive. Still not done and plenty of
If the price was always 5-6k I could see it just being another feature, hell I have options on some cars that cost more then that. But 15k for an option that just has never come to fruition, or how about the people who picked up there brand new Teslas in the last 10 days that paid for FSD and cannot even install it for god knows how long. I find the technology amazing which is one of the main reason I purchased a MSP, but I made sure to buy one a year old that some other guy lost 60k on. Frankly I think anyone who's buying one of these cars new and paying for FSD is a bit nut considering the resale value on them, I can only hope my MSP doesn't lose too much more, considering sticker was 154 and I picked it up for 95
5-6k maybe but
Software that is bought should def stay with driver. They would make more money that way because youre more likely to stay with a tesla?
Also if I buy modern warfare on my computer and sell desktop its still my software🤣🤣. Ok I have not played that in years but i still have it.

Anyhow if youre worried about the money forget the more expensive Models SX; as the 2 letter acronym implies youre getting s6rewd. I can barely tell them appart and they are only a bit faster. Not worth the cost. IMO. I drove by a model S and wasnt sure if it was a 3. To any non tesla people and new tesla people like me. Most cant tell it apart . Really lacking in luster for what they charge. At that price point youre paying to be noticed except no one does … again IMO

Reactions: Ccsdk and Ramphex
Had I known how not ready for the real world it is still, I would not ever be interested in FSD.

Every single time I use it I have to recover it and make at least 4 bug reports.

I totally agree with buy it once and transfer with the owner.

But what about the owner that doesn't buy another Tesla? - said no one ever.

I got FSD for FREE with my used Model 3. FSD does not add anything to the price in the used market.

Reactions: Ramphex
These ideas make sense… but only from the customer standpoint. As (moderator edit) @Dewg said, we should consider the company’s point of view and cater to it so the company can win at the end of the day, and not the customer.
I am not sure honestly. I didn't buy FSD and I don't even know if it will work on my HW3 during the time I own this car.

But if it was transferable this risk would much lower and I would consider it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ramphex

Tesla is trying to get their pound of flesh upfront now with the $15k arguably in itself warrants at least a 1x transfer for cheated HW3 customers. Once Tesla lowers the price there's less basis for FSD feature transfers. I suspect Tesla will be forced to substantially lower FSD pricing going forward based on marginal performance and the reportedly low cost model 2 with FSD equipped.

Tesla is trying to get their pound of flesh upfront now with the $15k arguably in itself warrants at least a 1x transfer for cheated HW3 customers. Once Tesla lowers the price there's less basis for FSD feature transfers. I suspect Tesla will be forced to substantially lower FSD pricing going forward based on marginal performance and the reportedly low cost model 2 with FSD equipped.
Or get rid of purchase and offer subscription only.