Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Make FSD Transferable - Sign the Petition!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1087.jpeg

SIGN HERE: Sign the Petition

You paid thousands for Full Self-Driving that has yet to become reality. Having to pay for it a 2nd time at a much higher amount stops me and so many others from upgrading their Tesla.

Us Tesla owners love to have the new versions and are willing to pay for regular upgrades, but with a $15,000 penalty, it doesn't make sense.

Elon Musk can easily make it transferable to a new vehicle which I am sure would significantly drive sales.

I and a large number of my friends would buy a new one tomorrow if FSD was transferable!

Win-Win!

Or get rid of purchase and offer subscription only.
I expect that FSD will eventually become a subscription-only product.

BTW, I suspect that GM doesn't offer transfers on SuperDuperCruise, or whatever SuperlativeCruise they are selling today, if any. Same for Ford's BlueCruise, which sounds more like a robo traffic cop.

So, does anyone offer ANY optional ADAS feature with a transferable license? Subscriptions don't count, of course.

I expect that FSD will eventually become a subscription-only product.

BTW, I suspect that GM doesn't offer transfers on SuperDuperCruise, or whatever SuperlativeCruise they are selling today, if any. Same for Ford's BlueCruise, which sounds more like a robo traffic cop.

So, does anyone offer ANY optional ADAS feature with a transferable license? Subscriptions don't count, of course.
SuperCruise is only a $2,200 option which includes physical hardware upgrades AND does everything it's advertised to do already.
BlueCruse is also only a $600 subscription for THREE years, and again, does everything it's advertised to do already.

Comparing them is extremely disingenuous.

Reactions: dbldwn02

GM and Ford likely have a better resale value and less likely to be removed over the air post sale like Tesla has done. Plus they cost a fraction of Tesla.

SuperCruise is only a $2,200 option which includes physical hardware upgrades AND does everything it's advertised to do already.
BlueCruse is also only a $600 subscription for THREE years, and again, does everything it's advertised to do already.

Comparing them is extremely disingenuous.
Supercruise and bluecruise do not work very well and tend to disconnect unexpectedly, so no, they don't do what they are advertised - at least not very well.

Nonetheless, it's still purchase of a software license that is not transferable.

Your calling this 'extremely disingenuous, is little more than desperate hyperbole for having no viable counter argument.

GM and Ford likely have a better resale value and less likely to be removed over the air post sale like Tesla has done. Plus they cost a fraction of Tesla.
Whether other products have higher, or lower, resale value is completely immaterial as is the cost difference.

I've used electronic test equipment with software options that make FSD price look dirt cheap. And those options also stay with the equipment.

Reactions: derotam
Whether other products have higher, or lower, resale value is completely immaterial as is the cost difference.

I've used electronic test equipment with software options that make FSD price look dirt cheap. And those options also stay with the equipment.

At $15k it’s material for many people. Especially in comparison to $600 for 3 years or $2200.

Sticking with the car isn’t so much of an issue as the fact that there is always confusion and frustration that it will stay with the car when they sell it and likewise for someone that buys one. There is always fear it will be turned off.

Yep, I love paying $60k-$100k for a license key for my test equipment at work...though there are floating keys too... maybe Tesla should create a floating key for FSD, they could charge twice as much for it but then you could transfer it to another car. :)

One issue I see is for the rare case of the individuals they gave free hardware upgrades to. Do they give you a free hardware upgrade, and let you transfer it, and get hardware upgrades in the new car as well?
Though with them not offering an upgrade from HW3 to HW4, this is less of a valid argument.
I signed.

This is one of the many problems I have with FSD.

Insurance covers the car as a piece of hardware. You can literally build 100% of the car for 15k less than a car with FSD. FSD is just software enablement. Yet as a totaled car, you only get the value of the FSD at best, not FSD itself. So they don't "replace" FSD, do they just hand you 6k cash?

Oh yes, I forgot, they'll give you the money for the value as you insured it. So if it's 15k now it's not like the insurance company is going to give you the current market rate for the software you had unlocked. And it's not like Tesla is just going to give you free FSD for a new computer if it's replaced. Rock, meet hard place.

And don't tell me this was easy for you, it's a logistical nightmare since Tesla is literally the only car with this problem, and there are lots of insurance providers.

But here's the deal -- if FSD was licensed to a person, this doesn't matter. The hardware on the Teslas are basically the same, upgrades notwithstanding. We're at v3 of computer now, and FSD works on it, even assuming hardware v4 comes out tomorrow for a new tesla variant, it wouldn't matter when I sold my car, and FSD would still function at v3 capabilities on my current M3 car.

I really fail to see how licensing the software to the person is a bad thing. Even very major software companies have done this.

Reactions: ICE5891
Yet as a totaled car, you only get the value of the FSD at best, not FSD itself. So they don't "replace" FSD, do they just hand you 6k cash?

In my case I was made whole for 100% of FSD. The car was at comp value. Fortunately it was during CV and comps were higher than new cars so I made a few grand. And then also got another SCE rebate.

Supercruise and bluecruise do not work very well and tend to disconnect unexpectedly, so no, they don't do what they are advertised - at least not very well.

Nonetheless, it's still purchase of a software license that is not transferable.

Your calling this 'extremely disingenuous, is little more than desperate hyperbole for having no viable counter argument.

This is what was advertised, almost 7 years ago. It still can't do ANY of this with confidence.

fully-auto-autopilot-e1476924560803.png

This is what was advertised, almost 7 years ago. It still can't do ANY of this with confidence.

fully-auto-autopilot-e1476924560803.png
You should have sued for a refund years ago. The only date mentioned in what you posted was 6 years ago? Why have you waited? Unless there was some later promised contractual date, your state's statute of limitations may have expired for breach of contract actions, leaving you with no legal recourse. I can see why you have resorted to begging.

These ideas make sense… but only from the customer standpoint. As (moderator edit) @Dewg said, we should consider the company’s point of view and cater to it so the company can win at the end of the day, and not the customer.
I'm afraid Tesla wanting to collect multiple times for software capability that it has never actually delivered (and still may not), isn't really a company point of view most would condone. Until FSD is non-beta and delivers on its functionality, you should at least be able to credit the original price to a new license... (Tesla hasn't delivered the original product yet). Once FSD (not beta) is delivered, it could live with the remaining life of the car or the owner.

Reactions: jeremymc7
I'm afraid Tesla wanting to collect multiple times for software capability that it has never actually delivered (and still may not), isn't really a company point of view most would condone. Until FSD is non-beta and delivers on its functionality, you should at least be able to credit the original price to a new license... (Tesla hasn't delivered the original product yet). Once FSD (not beta) is delivered, it could live with the remaining life of the car or the owner.
I hope you realize that I was being sarcastic and I completely agree with you. It was mostly a jab at shills and stock holders who promote anything making Tesla money so it could in turn benefit them.

Reactions: vanca
I finally got most of the features of FSD on my 2017 Model S and bought a new Plaid Model S with AP only. I need to sell the old one but no one is willing to pay much for the full self driving. I’m not willing to pay again since it has lost most of its value. It would seem Tesla would want the additional exposure on the newest cars to show the capability and progress. It only took 6 years to get what I have now but it still has a long way to go.