Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Make the Maps screen stop zooming out after 20 seconds! [2019]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
This is an issue I've had in the past, but today I was using the GPS and it reminded me. Sometimes I'll put my fingers on the screen to zoom in on a part of my route. To see more detail, because sometimes the map is so zoomed out it's tough to see where and when to make a turn. And I want to see it in the MAP, reading the words on the side of the screen is not an acceptable alternative!

But after 20 seconds of being zoomed in to a part of my route, the maps program decided to zoom it way out again. I timed it twice today at a stoplight, it does it after 20 seconds.

Make it stop zooming out! How can we do that? The computer does not know where I am going or why, so how can it presume to know when I don't want a good close-up anymore and it's ok to zoom out?

I looked around in the settings but didn't see anything to change this 20 second zoom-out.

The Garmin Nuvi 205 I used to have (no, not in my old 1971 Plymouth Valiant) never did this!!!

I really should be a senior design engineer at Tesla, I really should. Or at least an independent design consultant, for all the problems and design errors I've found on these cars.

One thing that a design engineer learns is that one person's design disaster is another person's design perfection.

If want to see close up, then keep the turn by turn shrunk down. If you want to see more, then pull the turn by turn to full screen height. You can also use the N and squiggly line in the upper right.

And yes, the Garmins will do a similar action.

Reactions: rpiotro
Just recently my maps has not been dynamically updating to show a closer portion of map to where I am driving. As such, it is too zoomed out so that my car is driving in parts of the map without road. Prior it would zoom to those locations. Additionally, it causes me to have to zoom in a lot when doing a route, like OP, and it zooms out too quickly.

Was there a recent map update or some setting that I have inadvertently changed?

It might have been doing this before I had a mobile appointment last week, but I noticed it afterwards. But likely that is coincidental.

Reactions: APotatoGod
If you use the North Up orientation, during navigation the map would zoom out and not show enough detail sometimes. If you use the Car Direction orientation when using the navigation it should display the detail turns fine. I prefer to use the North Up when not navigating and change to Car Direction when using navigation.

Reactions: Swampgator
One thing that a design engineer learns is that one person's design disaster is another person's design perfection.

If want to see close up, then keep the turn by turn shrunk down. If you want to see more, then pull the turn by turn to full screen height. You can also use the N and squiggly line in the upper right.

And yes, the Garmins will do a similar action.
Well, when I was designing systems with complex UIs and found out that different users had radically different use cases, I'd do things like add options to accommodate both, or even completely different screens.

The issue being discussed is if you zoom in on an area where the car isn't currently located, the screen will zoom back out after a short period to show the entire route from near the car to the end, thereby making the detail you were looking at invisible. This behavior is the same for all the map modes, N up, full route, car direction up, if a route is set. I'm not aware of any way to keep the map zoomed in.

This is new behavior I believe, and I also hate it.

"Hate" is not strong enough a word in our cockpit for this behavior. My wife and I trade inventing new invectives for this wretchednessmenthoodship.

If you use the North Up orientation, during navigation the map would zoom out and not show enough detail sometimes. If you use the Car Direction orientation when using the navigation it should display the detail turns fine. I prefer to use the North Up when not navigating and change to Car Direction when using navigation.

I've always kept my map in North Up. I like that way best, but I can try putting it in the different orientations and see if it still does it.

I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one who hates this zooming out after 20 seconds thing!

Reactions: ironwaffle
I believe I discovered in the past that if you tapped the map to display the extra controls (including the + and - buttons), and then used those +/- buttons to zoom, the map would retain the desired zoom setting – at least until you enter/exit a freeway again. Now I may be remembering wrong / imagining things or maybe that workaround used to work and is gone. I’ll check again today. (And yes, this is in the fixed north up mode.)

I believe I discovered in the past that if you tapped the map to display the extra controls (including the + and - buttons), and then used those +/- buttons to zoom, the map would retain the desired zoom setting – at least until you enter/exit a freeway again. Now I may be remembering wrong / imagining things or maybe that workaround used to work and is gone. I’ll check again today. (And yes, this is in the fixed north up mode.)
Well... no automatic zooming out while driving today regardless of which method I used to zoom in but I know I’ve seen that behavior before – like last night while on the interstate with autopilot and navigation enabled. So perhaps it only does it when you’re on a freeway or divided highway. (Which I wasn’t on today.) Still, I think I remember using the +/- keys to prevent it from auto-zooming for long periods.

Hi all, every Saturday nav I’ve ever used automatically zooms in on the detail when transitions are taking place, even google maps, surely Tesla can add this.
I’ve had 3 Teslas, Roadster, S and 3. Never another. Nav on the S was OK with the small screen for details and large screen for full journey and situational awareness. This ridiculous map that thinks it knows what you want is hateful in the extreme. Losing the buttons for zoom is stupid, not having a scale on the map equally stupid. All that wasted screen space with cars on it does nothing useful. Buttons are too small and buried. I want the same button in the same place all the time.

I fear the software guys have lost it totally.