Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Makes me sad to hear many reviews of the New S complain about build quality!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely true that the Model S doesn't feel like a real luxury car once you compare it to the Mercedes-Benz S-class or the Audi A8. Those have ridiculously high quality compared to a Tesla and are full of bling. However, compared to the Model S, they also feel very dated. The Model S feels like a spaceship compared to them. At least that was my impression after trying a few cars before choosing the Model S.
So for me it came down to plush luxury from ancient times versus spartan spaceship from the future.

Reactions: SO16 and TessP100D
Does the Taycan Turbo S Gulf doesn't overheat at the Japan EV-GT and gets passed by Model 3s?

As far as the Model S LR not being worth it at 90k; the 2020 Model S performance was a 90k car. I don't if you are aware that the new Model S Long Rage is a 10 second car has a higher trap speed in the 1/4 of mile than the performance the same as the Taycan at 129-130 mph. ET is not the same and slower at 10.8 seconds but I assume an acceleration boost add on will come and it will be faster than the old Performance Model S.

How an EV performs in an arbitrary race in Japan, or the 1/4 mile trap speed, is irrelevant to most people looking to buy a $90k+ car. People paying this kind of money expect quality fit and finish, materials, and luxury options. The Model S can continue to be the American muscle car of the $90k+ price range, but they are going to struggle to bring over the typical luxury/sport sedan buyer unless they start to focus on quality and luxury instead of 0-60 times.

I've been back on the forum recently to see how the new Model S was turning out. Unfortunately it seems like Tesla hasn't addressed their quality issues, and instead has focused on gimmicks like the new yoke steering wheel.

There is nothing wrong with buying a Model S. It's still an amazing car. But as someone who has buying cars in this price range for a long time, I'm trying to provide some perspective of what a lot of these buyers are looking for. Tesla is finally going to face some serious pressure from other automakers. Honestly I hope it gets them to focus on quality and change. Kinda like GM and Ford needed to do when the Japanese brands put pressure on them in the 80s/90s in terms of quality.

I'm waiting to hear others confirm whether they are finding chrome under the black trim, which doesn't make any sense to me.

As for build quality, every Tesla redesign / new model has had build quality issues in the first few production runs. And as much as we want to hope otherwise, I didn't expect things would be any different with this refresh of the S for the first few fiscal quarters. In fact, I have always felt that Tesla treats their car releases like a software release: ship early beta builds out into the wild with bugs and all, then refine in subsequent builds. Certainly not acceptable, mind you.
This seems to be their modus operandi. If this practice continues it will only last until there are competitive products.

Reactions: TessP100D
have this been confirmed? or are you just speculating
I was only opining on the last sentence of headcase's comment; sorry I sould have cropped it.

In fact, I have always felt that Tesla treats their car releases like a software release: ship early beta builds out into the wild with bugs and all, then refine in subsequent builds. Certainly not acceptable, mind you.

This thread is ridiculous.
I can tell you with certainty having owned multiple Tesla’s and driven countless…
…the refresh is by FAR the best quality, best fit/finish…literally the best car tesla has ever produced. By a long shot.

thread title is pure drama. Here’s a review from one of the first refreshes on the road - OP is wrong.
Did you post a link to the referenced review... thanks.

Reactions: Trunk Gap
Did you post a link to the referenced review... thanks.
I’m the review. I’ve had the car for nearly 2 months and it’s incredible. In every single way it’s better than anything tesla has produced.
it makes the model 3 and y and old s feel ancient. From the yoke to the tech to the comfort to the build quality to the performance to the UI you name it - noticeably improved.

Reactions: FlatSix911
The Tesla "Plaid" version is a simple luxury for those that can afford it. $40,000 and the only difference is one accelerates quicker than the other. That's always been the case with the "Performance" version of Tesla. Especially on the S & X, Tesla charges astronomically for that acceleration. But, was originally a $10,000 premium. Then went to $20,000, then $30,000, then $40,000. It think it was up to $50,000 at one point, But, as demand declined, it came back down. Used to be $20,000 for the "P" version, then another $10,000 or $20,000 for the "Ludicrous" mode. In the past, you got red painted calipers included, as well as a spoiler that you can buy on E-bay for $89.00. But other than that, no other difference between the two.

The new Long Range version however, has "Insane" mode, which was the original mode offered when the P85D came out. It's 3.1 0-60 is basically exactly the same as the P85D or P90D was. I had one and used it as a party trick to show off to new passengers, who were shocked each time they felt it. It was $20,000 when I bit the bullet and bought it. Now, it's included for free with the Long Range Version. Can't imagine it wouldn't still shock passengers that have never felt a car than can do 0-60 in 3 seconds, which is faster than just about any car on the planet as it is.

1.99 seconds is beyond insane, yes. Actually, it's more like 2.2 - 2.3 seconds in real world driving without the "roll-out" and being in perfect conditions on a sticky race track, and after letting the car warm up and lower itself and engage "launch mode" etc. Still incredible no doubt. So, when that Ferrari or Lambo pulls up to you at the red light of an intersection and wants to race, you'll have to politely ask "would love to, but can you give me 10-15 minutes for my car to set itself up for launch mode?" Yeah, not going to happen. For the rare few that go to a drag strip regularly, then it clearly has all the value in the world. Other than the $2.4 million dollar Rimac Rivera, which does 0-60 in 1.8 and the 1/4 mile in 8.6 seconds, there won't be a production car at the track that can beat you. But, for those that will never take their car to a race track, I personally think "Insane Mode" offers nearly the same "wow" factor to passengers, just as it did in 2015 when the P85D / P90D came out.

While I can afford it, the reason I can afford it is partially attributed to being smart throughout the years. The sensible side in me can't bring myself to spend $40,000 simply to accelerate 0.8-0.9 seconds faster to 60. I NEVER used the P90D's performance except when demonstrating it to passengers. And 3 seconds 0-60 gave me a headache as it was. I only drove the Plaid for a short time, but can't imagine what 2.2 - 2.3 second repeated launches would do to my head!! Sure, it's a hell of a "WOW" factor. But, then for most, it never gets used beyond those demonstration moments. And the original Insane mode at 3.0-3.1 was always a hell of a "WOW" factor as it is. So to get that at no extra cost now, that's a pretty good deal. Even my current 2019 LR Raven at 3.8 0-60 is still far more than I ever use on the road. I think I've floored the car maybe twice since I bought it.

All depends on the user and how much they will actually use it. Most that I know with Tesla's say they never use it and just got it because it was the best of the best available, rather than because it was an option they would actually benefit from.

There's never been a dispute about Tesla's performance. They've set the bar and continued to raise it. 6 years in, there are still buyers willing to pay that $40,000 price tag simply for quicker acceleration, so Tesla will keep charging it as long as they can get it. Again, as with the 2019, eventually those buyers fade and the price comes down into the $10,000 to $20,000 range, until they release something new again.

With most high-end cars, when you purchase the "Performance" version of it (Mercedes AMG, BMW M, Audi RS, etc), that $40,000 gets you quite a bit more than just acceleration (sportier bodies, better wheels, better brakes, better suspension, spoilers, usually some upgraded interior pieces, etc). At $10,000 to $20,000, not so bad for what Tesla offers. At $40,000, regardless of the fact that it does accelerate quicker than any other production car, sending the kids to college or getting them a Model 3 for that $40,000 just seems to be a higher value!! LOL.
You are talking value etc etc. there are some people in this world that buy 500k watches.
There is a market for everything and everyone. Obviously paying 40k more than the LR for the privilege to drive the fastest car in the world isn’t for you, but it is for many others.
No need to try and rationalize it.

Beaty of free market, don’t like Tesla, don’t like built quality or whatever—-
This thread is ridiculous.
I can tell you with certainty having owned multiple Tesla’s and driven countless…
…the refresh is by FAR the best quality, best fit/finish…literally the best car tesla has ever produced. By a long shot.

thread title is pure drama. Here’s a review from one of the first refreshes on the road - OP is wrong.
agree 100%. These threads are getting old, it’s a CAR, if you don’t like the fit & finish buy another CAR. Tesla will be fine 👍

I took a look at the EQS on display in Pebble Beach last week and was impressed with the build quality.
I mean, it’s pretty easy to be impressed with the “build quality” of a hand-built pre-production show car on display at the concours.

And yes, I’m sure it will be a fine, high quality car. Plaid money with half the power and performance should definitely buy you some higher quality leather, paint, and contrast stitching.

These threads are getting old, it’s a CAR, if you don’t like the fit & finish buy another CAR. Tesla will be fine 👍

I wouldn't be quite so optimistic. Tesla has been very fortunate, from a growth staindpoint, not to have much BEV competition but that's going to be changing and fewer buyers will be willing to put up with inferior quality or customer service. If Tesla doesn't get a better handle on these things, they may be anything but "fine" in the long run. Hopefully, Tesla will eventually be willing to put more resources and effort there AND it will be before too many customers decide to and are in a position to leave the brand potentially forever.

I wouldn't be quite so optimistic. Tesla has been very fortunate, from a growth staindpoint, not to have much BEV competition but that's going to be changing and fewer buyers will be willing to put up with inferior quality or customer service. If Tesla doesn't get a better handle on these things, they may be anything but "fine" in the long run. Hopefully, Tesla will eventually (before too many customers decide to and are in a position to leave the brand potentially forever) be willing to put more resources and effort there.
Meh. People have been preaching some variant of this line for a decade now, this big existential crisis.

There will always be people willing to put up with some quality and service issues in exchange for a performance bargain and brand story. Subaru still manages to sell plenty of WRXs and their materials quality is only slightly better than ‘90s Hondas.

Eventually the competition will catch up to Tesla. Tesla will continue to have its unique set of features and design styles, which is a positive thing. But go look at cars in the $90k price range. They have a dozen exterior and interior color options, multiple interior trim and stitching options, a half dozen wheels to choose from, 5-8 different variants of the same model (2-door coupe, 4-door sedan, sport back, convertible, performance version, wagon), and lots of luxury features Tesla is missing today. Building vehicles with this level of customization is very difficult from the manufacturing and product development perspective. This is what most customers expect at this price point. Tesla is going to need to offer similar options in the future as the competition gets closer. If they haven't figured out the quality issues, it will simply make it that much harder to introduce this complexity.

It's completely reasonable to expect this from Tesla. They aren't a startup anymore, they are the most valuable automaker.

Look at BMW for example. In the US they have 17 models, each with multiple variants. Add the wide variety of customization for each and the complexity is enormous.

I wouldn't be quite so optimistic. Tesla has been very fortunate, from a growth staindpoint, not to have much BEV competition but that's going to be changing and fewer buyers will be willing to put up with inferior quality or customer service. If Tesla doesn't get a better handle on these things, they may be anything but "fine" in the long run. Hopefully, Tesla will eventually be willing to put more resources and effort there AND it will be before too many customers decide to and are in a position to leave the brand potentially forever.
Once the competition puts as many cars on the road as tesla has, it’d be interesting to see how they fare.

tesla is sold out for quiet a few months, they sell every car they can produce, their charging network is huge, so having a few here and there complain about built quality etc is getting old as everything else points to the brand’s success now and in the near future. Just my opinion 👍

Reactions: juanmedina
I’m the review. I’ve had the car for nearly 2 months and it’s incredible. In every single way it’s better than anything tesla has produced.
it makes the model 3 and y and old s feel ancient. From the yoke to the tech to the comfort to the build quality to the performance to the UI you name it - noticeably improved.
The alpha build at best bastardized Plaid UI is a running joke. Missing many functions and features that my 3’s “ancient” UI had! “Give me the ancient 3 interface back please,” until you can release at least a beta version of this v11 UI…. Geeezzzz, what an abomination. Doesn’t ruin the Plaid experience and will eventually be fixed via OtA update.

Reactions: TessP100D
Look at BMW for example. In the US they have 17 models, each with multiple variants. Add the wide variety of customization for each and the complexity is enormous.
The main difference being they primarily sell $5-$10k ICE powertrains in $40-130k cars while Tesla sells $20-40k EV powertrains in $40-130k cars.

The money is obviously going to different places.