Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making calls with voice command

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there an option that allows your voice command to automatically dial the number you find on your phone (if it's unique in your contacts; ie the voice command finds only one contact that you requested) instead of having to touch the screen to dial it? it seems the convenience factor would be greatly enhanced if this is possible because it's distracting to have to touch the screen just to dial. My phone has the capability to just auto dial if I use it outside of Tesla's blue tooth interface.

Having to touch the big "Dial" button (or whatever it's label is) in the center display is a good way for the user to confirm that is the number they intended, but it seems that there could be a "Dial" voice command that would accomplish the same thing.

Agree.

I have no idea why Tesla hasn't implemented more voice commands. 99% of the work is already done. They could use it to open the sunroof, change the music source, etc. etc....just a lot of untapped potential there.

I would prefer that it is smart enough to just do it. But I understand it doesn't: it is not integrated at all with your phone, except for being able to search your contacts once they are uploaded from the phone into whatever the car uses to store it. Very rudimentary by most of today's car standards. My hope that they will move to carplay and android auto. That should solve it.

What I tend to do if I am in a stressful driving situation and need to make a call is to use "hey Siri" to make the call. It connects just fine.

No, by design--they don't want to start dialing the wrong person.

Is it really that distracting to have to touch that huge button? Seems pretty simple. It's way less distracting than having a phone conversation while driving :).
Actually I do find it distracting to have to glance down at the screen to do that. My phone works just fine making calls without having me interact with it other than thru voice but I would prefer to use the Bluetooth thru the car.

it seems from the safety aspect, it is better not to have to take your eyes of the road at all even for a split second to press the button.

- - - Updated - - -

I would prefer that it is smart enough to just do it. But I understand it doesn't: it is not integrated at all with your phone, except for being able to search your contacts once they are uploaded from the phone into whatever the car uses to store it. Very rudimentary by most of today's car standards. My hope that they will move to carplay and android auto. That should solve it.

What I tend to do if I am in a stressful driving situation and need to make a call is to use "hey Siri" to make the call. It connects just fine.
I would if I had an iPhone, but I have an android. I'll have to see if I can make the call by activating it from my phone and see if the Bluetooth can still route thru the car. If that works, it could be workable .