Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making Changes to my Y order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
My wife's Model 3 was lonely, so we placed an order for a Model Y last year before FSD went up to $7K.

However, I am not a huge fan of the Gemini wheels and I thought I'd also switch out colors...but when I go through the process online, I end up with a price that's $1990 higher than what it should be. So it looks like it's updating FSD price as well as base price of the vehicle. Is that the case? In other words, I am not able to make any changes without losing the price I locked in last year? I completely understand paying additional $$ for upgrades, but for the same functionality? It makes zero sense to me...just wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

That appears to be the case. There are a lot of threads talking about the wheel changes and what other users have done. I'd do some searching to see if anyone was able to update without the cost adjustment. You may be able to adjust through support.

Thank you. I will look around. I tried doing a chat through the web site, but all they did is gave me my local Tesla gallery's number and the guy on the phone said rather bluntly that at this time all prices would be updated. :(

Tesla shuffles the deck in the middle of the game and changes the rules. Hold your cards. Or don’t.

Impatience may cost you if you make changes before anything actually ships. They’re changing prices and features between order opening and ultimate vehicle availability.

I can say if change something now, that is what you get including a higher price. If you sit back, you will probably get what you originally ordered. When is not known, but it never was known.

I took screenshots of every page of my order when I made it because I knew Tesla had done this before. I think I even saved the “agreement”.

At the very least, I want what I ordered for that price. At the worst, I want better for the same price, but I do not want to pay more.

Hello,
My wife's Model 3 was lonely, so we placed an order for a Model Y last year before FSD went up to $7K.
However, I am not a huge fan of the Gemini wheels and I thought I'd also switch out colors...but when I go through the process online, I end up with a price that's $1990 higher than what it should be......
I agree with you the Gemini wheels are ugly as sin. My plan is to buy a new set of wheels from TSportline. 4 new wheels would cost you lot less than $1990.

Tesla Model 3 Aftermarket 18 inch Tesla Wheels

I called local Tesla dealer and asked if I could switch out the 21” wheels with summer tires for 19s with all season. They told me no. Sell the tires/wheels and buy what you want. I’m still hoping Tesla will give an optional wheel choice for the performance.

Reactions: rklip
Thanks for the responses. I will just sit tight for now. The other thing I wanted to do was change the exterior color of the car (current selection is pearl white) but again it's a hard pill to swallow that on top of the color upgrade cost (which I know I would have to pay and that's fine), there's an additional $1990. Again it just doesn't make sense to me at all. And at the time of my order, it was not made clear to me that I would lose the current pricing if I made changes. Oh well.

To be fair the agreement says "may" so there is plenty of wiggle room. Wiggle room that was confirmed with every chat I did after I placed the order, with things like "don't worry, plenty of time to make changes, you will need to speak to the sales team to do that though" etc.

not to mention that some of the changes were not even made by me...I never picked the Genesis wheels...

It also was not stated that changes would not have an affect on the price. Did someone in these chats ever tell you that changes would not change the price of the car? Did you ask? Before you saved the new configuration, does a new price show?

I’m not looking to pick a fight here. No one on this forum told me changes wouldn’t change the price. But both employees at the gallery and on chat told me that changes shouldn’t affect pricing once I locked it in so I took their assessment as more valuable than on a forum. And yes if I go through the process online it changes the price of FSD and the base price so I have not saved any changes yet.

I’m not looking to pick a fight here. No one on this forum told me changes wouldn’t change the price. But both employees at the gallery and on chat told me that changes shouldn’t affect pricing once I locked it in so I took their assessment as more valuable than on a forum. And yes if I go through the process online it changes the price of FSD and the base price so I have not saved any changes yet.
Neither am I. I also thought about a color change and edited the order. Saw that the price changed by more than the color change so did not save it. Will keep the originally selected color. I wish editing the order would keep the base price the same but it doesn't, that's just the way it is. You'll forget about all of the really trivial stuff like modest price increase once you start driving your new Tesla, I'm sure!

I just changed my Y order to remove FSD. Price before was $60k. Now $53,990. FSD was $7K so apparently the wheel increase jacked the price up by $990! Would've thought the fact I had $2,500 deposit would have held pricing after the deletion of FSD but apparently it didn't. Very disappointed.

I just changed my Y order to remove FSD. Price before was $60k. Now $53,990. FSD was $7K so apparently the wheel increase jacked the price up by $990! Would've thought the fact I had $2,500 deposit would have held pricing after the deletion of FSD but apparently it didn't. Very disappointed.
the only option i had ordered were the sport wheels. they were automatically changed to the gemini's, and then to induction. i just left it alone figuring i didn't want to chance going to the back of the line (which doesn't happen according to posts on here, though you could affect delivery date by changing color, i would think). mine went up also, but apparently that's part of the 'joy of tesla'. i don't think we will know the final price until it's ready to deliver

Yeah The joy of Tesla indeed. lol. I made a last ditch effort by visiting my local gallery and to their credit they did attempt to see what they could do but that's the policy and they couldn't change it. I lost my cost savings by making a change but honestly I also didn't want a car that I was "meh" about considering it's not cheap to begin with. I want to absolutely love it. And with these changes now I do. I am guessing that having ordered in October, mine won't be ready for quite a while which is fine. I am in zero hurry, and the more I wait, the more time I have to absorb the price increase.

Reactions: engle and KJD
Hi @Lucanaut,

Tesla constantly makes incremental improvements during production to the hardware, most of which are invisible to us. By waiting, you shall also benefit from that.

Back in the day before Tesla learned how to mass produce model 3's (and now Y's)., I accepted delivery of Model X #417 (a P90D) on 3/22/2016. They started building it in January 2016, and it was full of panel gaps. I didn't care because I leased it for 3 years from U.S. Bank. I waited to buy my Model 3 Dual Motor until 9/28/2018, #98,8xx, and have been very happy with this decision. The car has been flawless. It has 30K+ miles already (mostly Navigate on Autopilot) and it has been in service only once to replace a flat tire which doesn't really count. At that time, they did one service notice to upgrade the charging connector.

I think you'll love your Model Y. I just wish Tesla had decided to produce the Y before the 3 so I'd be driving one now!

Russ

Yeah The joy of Tesla indeed. lol. I made a last ditch effort by visiting my local gallery and to their credit they did attempt to see what they could do but that's the policy and they couldn't change it. I lost my cost savings by making a change but honestly I also didn't want a car that I was "meh" about considering it's not cheap to begin with. I want to absolutely love it. And with these changes now I do. I am guessing that having ordered in October, mine won't be ready for quite a while which is fine. I am in zero hurry, and the more I wait, the more time I have to absorb the price increase.