Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making friends at a Tesla Supercharger....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. Our network allows our users to connect with others that visit places and neighborhoods they love. We are about to add Tesla Superchargers to our platform which will create geo mico-communities at each location. You will be able to join a Supercharger and connect with other Tesla owners who've been at that Supercharger. Think of it as a mini-twitter at each location and a great way to connect with other Tesla owners in the area.

We are looking for beta testers in the NYC area who have iOS. If you are interested, we would love to hear from you!

Reactions: Candleflame
I'm actually kind of not looking forward to taking my Model 3 to superchargers, as I am not the most socially outgoing person in the world. I don't just go out and talk to people without a specific reason. When I do have a reason to speak to someone, I am totally fine, but I don't go around starting casual conversations just for the heck of it. And I can see other Tesla owners at superchargers wanting to come over and start a conversation, or other people who don't have a Tesla wanting to pause and talk about it, and I'm not the best person for that. I'm much better as an internet troll (I've been accused of that a few times).

I'm actually kind of not looking forward to taking my Model 3 to superchargers, as I am not the most socially outgoing person in the world. I don't just go out and talk to people without a specific reason. When I do have a reason to speak to someone, I am totally fine, but I don't go around starting casual conversations just for the heck of it. And I can see other Tesla owners at superchargers wanting to come over and start a conversation, or other people who don't have a Tesla wanting to pause and talk about it, and I'm not the best person for that. I'm much better as an internet troll (I've been accused of that a few times).
You'll be fine, there's plenty of us sitting staring at our phones and ignoring all others :)

Sure that's true now.. But imagine you're sitting there minding your own business and a new Model 3 pulls up. Wouldn't you want to jump out and look at the car and talk to the owner?

I think that often when I see an X drive up (other than a brief look at the Denver store, I've never had an up close look at an X before), but I also don't want to pester people. Sometimes people get out and linger near the chargers, and I suppose that's the cue for engaging in conversation. Might be nice if there were shaded picnic tables at supercharger sites.

I think most people would pick up on social cues and leave people alone at Superchargers that don't look like they want to interact. But there are just as many entitled people who ignore such cues and barge right up to people.

I work with one of those kinds of jackasses right now. I just started an assignment for a couple months doing work at a data center, and I got paired with this one idiot who I had worked with for 2 weeks on an IT job last year. He sounds like he's from New York City, and he has absolutely no problem at all with interrupting a conversation and talking right over other people, even when it is our supervisor talking to us about our work for the day. And if you say a phrase around him that catches his attention, he repeats it all day long!!! I could speak to him about it on the side sometime or at lunch, but I want him gone! I remember something my dad used to say to me - "Give them enough rope to hang themselves with". I never really got it 30 years ago, but I am fully using it now! I just stand back, stay quiet, and listen to the supervisor attentively, and let the idiot run his mouth.

It has already worked somewhat, this guy would be talking calls on his phone and texting all day long, and I presume they saw him on the security cameras, as a few days ago, they pulled him out of the data center and away from me, and gave me someone better to work with. The idiot got put on a stock room inventory job. As long as he is away from me, and is making me look better by running his mouth, I don't care what he does.

• Disagree
Reactions: Candleflame
I think that often when I see an X drive up (other than a brief look at the Denver store, I've never had an up close look at an X before), but I also don't want to pester people. Sometimes people get out and linger near the chargers, and I suppose that's the cue for engaging in conversation. Might be nice if there were shaded picnic tables at supercharger sites.
This is a great place to share this story about our small world Tesla community. I was over 300 miles away from home at a Supercharger, and this guy comes in in a Model X. I hadn't gotten to see one yet, so I go over to talk with the guy and take a look. We're having this great talk, and he's telling me about how long he's had it and what he uses it for. He said his dad had one for a couple of years and really liked it, and he described his dad's car--color and personalized plate. I recognized it and asked if his dad's name was this, and he said yeah. Turns out his dad had charged at my house a couple of times on his way down here to visit his son before Superchargers got installed on that interstate route.

My wife and I recently took our first extended trip from New Jersey to Wisconsin. At a supercharger in Illinois we pulled in with 5 of the 8 stalls empty, plugged in and headed to a nearby place for a bite to eat. Food took a while but we finished and returned to the car with about 97% charge. There was a note on the windshield that said "It was very rude of you to plug in and leave your car unattended. Go back to New Jersey"

So my question is, am I missing something here? Why would someone say that? Isn't the purpose of the Supercharger stations to have a place to eat or shop or relax while waiting for a charge? What is the proper etiquette when traveling and charging? Who was the rude one here?

My wife and I recently took our first extended trip from New Jersey to Wisconsin. At a supercharger in Illinois we pulled in with 5 of the 8 stalls empty, plugged in and headed to a nearby place for a bite to eat. Food took a while but we finished and returned to the car with about 97% charge. There was a note on the windshield that said "It was very rude of you to plug in and leave your car unattended. Go back to New Jersey"

So my question is, am I missing something here? Why would someone say that? Isn't the purpose of the Supercharger stations to have a place to eat or shop or relax while waiting for a charge? What is the proper etiquette when traveling and charging? Who was the rude one here?
Yeah, I've got nothing. Never heard of having to 'stand watch' on your car at a Supercharger, especially if it wasn't full!

Nod & "Hi" if it makes sense, converse if that's how things flow - but at the later stages of a 12-hour leg I just take a pit stop, select my "Sleepy" driver profile, and relax for a bit.

I did have the opportunity to listen to one side of a lawyer's teleconference at the Springfield Supercharger once (he was using hands-free). Wasn't sure about the propriety of knocking on a window or standing in front of him with a sign ("Buddy, your client sounds pretty upset!"), so I just headed over to Scheels...

• Funny
Reactions: b team
I thought I'd love supercharging since I imagined many like-minded car and technology enthusiasts would be excited to talk Tesla or tech or simply be polite.

What I found out is most people at SC have no interest whatsoever in socializing and would rather sleep or look miserable in their car rather than even wave or say hello.

Many Tesla owners simply suck as human beings and I'm not sure why. I avoid supercharging like the plague now.

What you're missing is that many Tesla drivers are entitled latte sipping a**holes.

What you're missing is that many Tesla drivers are entitled latte sipping a**holes.
Guessing as they get more crowded, interactions will turn into:

"Where do you live?, Are you local?, Where are you going and how much charge do you need?, Why are you leaving your car?"

Human nature will kick in....