Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making homelink work In equipped model S/X/3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the tips here. I got the merlin receiver and remote today. It was a 5 minute job to install once I'd worked out which terminals to connect it to on the existing opener. Now my S can control the garage door - awesome!

Note that the receiver doesn't come with any cable or a power supply, so I popped over to the nearest Jaycar and got 4 different coloured cables at 1 metre lengths for about $2 in total. My existing opener had a terminal for 12V output, so I was able to use that, without having to purchase an additional power supply.

Last edited:
Reactions: paulp and ARMARM
That likely means you dont have the supporting homelink hardware in your car
Tks, yes I know that is likely. I am trying to confirm it though because I know other 2017 cars hjave it working and I had the icon there for over a month and it seemed to be running through the install protocol properly (I just didn’t have the right receiver...)

Hey Tesla, just sell me the Homelink hardware and make it so. While you're at it sell me the Lte upgrade, the MCU2, the interior motion sensor security upgrade, the CCS2 adapter, let me pay for ambient lighting activation (since the LEDs are already installed) and anything else you care to add a dollar value to so you can take my money. Grrrrrrr!!!!

Reactions: ICUDoc
I attempted to set this up on my 2018 75D but cant get it to work. I have a gliderol glidamatic grd control box.
I managed to get the lights to flash and then at the next stage I pushed the learn button and followed the prompts in the car.
When it asks me to test the homelink before saving the code nothing happens. Any ideas what im doing wrong as it seems it should work with my door?

JayTee, same thing happened to me first time I think (but with Merlin). I managed to delete the created profile and had another go at it. Second time worked a charm, same procedure although increased determination. There is a limit on the number of remotes assigned to a controller but pretty sure that will be an edge case.

I attempted to set this up on my 2018 75D but cant get it to work. I have a gliderol glidamatic grd control box.
I managed to get the lights to flash and then at the next stage I pushed the learn button and followed the prompts in the car.
When it asks me to test the homelink before saving the code nothing happens. Any ideas what im doing wrong as it seems it should work with my door?
Wozx is right in suggesting deleting and starting again. Also save your code and do the testing afterward. Fyi the lights flashed etc for my office door, but it just wouldnt work, so had to get another merlin recoever for that door. If you search online you will find a pdf list of homelink supported doors.

Your controller is not Homelink compatible, but from the looks of it (I found the install manual online) using the remote switch connection on the controller circuit board, it's able to receive an external input, so installing the Merlin receiver should work.

So.....I purchased a US HomeLink module on eBay for my MS 90D which never had HomeLink at all (no module installed). I took it to the service center and convinced them to install it, which they did. They then had to call Tesla head office in Australia and get them to re-code the firmware to support the HomeLink module. A few days afterwards I got a firmware update message and hey presto....HomeLink appeared on my MCU. So far so good.
BUT......
I think I have made a error in choosing the module version. I should have purchased the EU version which supports 433MHz.

Our garage door opener is a GDO-9V2 Enduro which uses 433MHz.

Looking at the Merlin E8003 uses 433MHz which is not going to work with my US home link module in the Tesla.

I'll have to look online (eBay or Amazon) for the US equivalent of the E8003.

So a word of caution for those retrofitting HomeLink modules......check you get the right frequency version (US or EU).

I just did some quick searching. Looks like the LIftmaster 850LM is identical to the E8003 other than the frequencies (310, 315 and 390MHz). The installation manuals are almost the same word for word.
Liftmaster is owned by chamberlain, who also own homelink. Chamberlain also own the merlin brand. It is highly likely therefore that the liftmaster will be compatable.